Phantis Forums

Xanthi- PAO

athinaios

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

on a counter... salpi to cleyton, cleyton with a through ball to ruka who went in a lone, did a tap dance on th egk and went around for the open netter... Drakos was worried... even during the replay...

great away win with 10 players in a ground where no one has passed with the exceptrion of oly....

Bring on anorthosis......

thanks Niko for the description...

Look, I wish we could have done this with other games... that is, find a way (any way) to win.... not all have to be pretty...

Call me crazy (not Crazy), but 9 points down can turn into 6, and I'm sure gavroi will lose more points.... it's not over, though we're not the favorites anymore...

great win!

FT 1-2

Great win. With the exception a 10 minute stretch in the beginning of the second half this was not a bad effort. I wish teams did not get to cross with such ease against us, and that opponents would not be able to get such easy headers in our box. Horrible team and individual play on the equalizer. On the other hand, beautiful team play on both our goals. Perfect through ball by Ninis, and perfect through ball by Cleyton.

Boneheaded plays by Sariegi. He was late to the ball and decked the opponent right outside Xanthi's half having already one yellow. It almost cost us the game.

Good win. In a way, it's better to win this way because overcoming adversity tends to have a bonding effect on a team. This is the third such game (Aris, Panionios came before that) so I hope we don't over-bond the team. We need some room for a new CB.

On to the most important game of the season against Anorthosi. Karagounis got some much needed rest today.

The team almost blew it, and Ten Cate came out smelling like a rose. Both his substitutes won this game in the end, and he did some brilliant shifting on defense to keep Xanthi away.

Cyber, you may know this.... Don't we have a problem (copping goals, etc) in the first quarter of the second half?

What do they drink during the half? :P

PS> No Levadiakos, but Oly has several difficult games ahead...

to add to whay cyber says, take away the first game against aek, in the other 12 games, we only copped 1 goal in the first half....it was in aris...

another stat i found interesting...

of the 12 goals we have allowed this season, 7 have come with gilberto not on the field

with simao, gilberto both on the field we have allowed 3 goals..

either way, Ty all for the nameday wishes.... and ill see u around tuesday..

another day at the office, streamin pao and readin phantis..

cant wait

Huge game by Gilberto btw. I agree that overcoming adversity tends to help the team bond. Though my team prefers to bond over fried chicken - which says a lot about the kind of team we are. If the difference drops to 6 points before Christmas we will have a chance. OSFP have to go to AEK, Panionios and PAOK in the second round and we don't. And OSFP might still suffer a shocking defeat - winning all the 'easy' matches is just unreal. Of course, this is the Greek league and once you 're left behind things get ugly. Well, we 'll see. Now it's Ano.

PS: Btw, I just took another look at Ruka's goal and I 'll have to say that Drakos is right. Unless Cleyton possesses superhuman composure or sthing, he took waaaaay too long to pass the ball. Kudos to Ruka for slowing down to avoid moving into an offside position.

Huge game by Gilberto btw. I agree that overcoming adversity tends to help the team bond. Though my team prefers to bond over fried chicken - which says a lot about the kind of team we are. If the difference drops to 6 points before Christmas we will have a chance. OSFP have to go to AEK, Panionios and PAOK in the second round and we don't. And OSFP might still suffer a shocking defeat - winning all the 'easy' matches is just unreal. Of course, this is the Greek league and once you 're left behind things get ugly. Well, we 'll see. Now it's Ano.

PS: Btw, I just took another look at Ruka's goal and I 'll have to say that Drakos is right. Unless Cleyton possesses superhuman composure or sthing, he took waaaaay too long to pass the ball. Kudos to Ruka for slowing down to avoid moving into an offside position.

I thought it was brilliant play by Cleyton. It seemed like he took too long, but by holding the ball until the very last possible minute, he took this last defender out of the play and denied him the opportunity to catch up.

Roukavina helped by statter-stepping and leaning back just enough, and then he moved around the goalkeeper as if he wasn't even there. Fantastic skill by both.

But I almost had a heart attack seeing Roukavina strocking the ball softly and sending it so close to the post. Talking about drama.

I would to say one last thing...

You can go back n check my posts history but i said cleyton and ruka were two of our most skilled players..

Ninis, Cleyton,Gilberto,Simao and Iva are our 5 best mids.... with ruka, mantz or petro up front...

I just dont see salpi in HTC's system

Sad but true, name-day boy. Salpi is not a HTC kind of player. He is a hard-working forward, though, and always remains a quality solution. Ruka has the skills but he needs to improve his mental attributes. On more important matters, we need to find the peace of mind to focus on the remaining games. We are in a dominant position in Europe and the season is not yet over in Greece. I think that the best thing to do would be to lock all the players in Paiania and restrict access to the media. Too bad it's not a humane thing to do because the Greek press is ridiculous to say the least. Already some idiot journalist from Xanthi started a row with HTC over the latter's commnet about the ref. If we focus and quit thinking too much about what other people say we might end up smiling before the end.

Like the Panionios away game, we came back with 10 men to win...

This proves that PAO players are too relaxed at easy home games, which is what Ten Cate gets furious about.

Well done when we needed it.

A win on Tuesday may put us on first place.

I liked Gilberto's offensive effort today.

PEACE

Henk Ten Cate showed once again that he is a very astute coach, and able of turning games with his moves.

Let's see what transpired after the Sariegi ejection.

First he asked Simao to return to defense as the second CB next to Goumas, moved Manzios back towards midfield and let Salpigidi all alone to be the point man on a clear counter-attacking formation. This didn't work and almost cost the team. Simao's absense from midfield allowed Xanthi players room to roam since neither Gilberto, nor Tziolis can do the kind of dirty and creative work Simao can do in our midfield. What's worst, Simao is prone to making costly errors as a CB, one of which brought a Xanthi player tet-a-tet with Galinovic.

Ten Cate acted instantly. With three moves, he put his team in position to win the game.

Move 1:

Ten Cate had identified the inability to hold the ball forward and he had decided Roukavina would be better at maintaining possession and running with Salpigidis on the counter, since he is much faster than Mantzios. At the same time Salpigidis was asked to hustle more towards midfield and to support Roukavina whenever possible.

Move 2:

He replaced Ninis with Cleyton. Ninis had an excellent first half, but in the second half he was unable to maintain possession or to move the ball forward. Cleyton played like he was on a mission. He run like crazy and unfolded his abundant skill with ball possession, tenacious marking in midfield, and quick runs and passes forward.

Move 3:

He put in Melissis as a RB and moved Vintra to the CB position. Somehow, after this, Xanthi looked completely incompetent of finding any space on the right or in the center (our left side rarely had problems today). Vintra seems to be much better at CB where his quick decisions and ball clearance become an asset. Better yet, this way Simao moved back in midfield (more like a sweeper in front of the two CBs) where he plugged all the holes towards our goal.

With more security on defense, with ball possession improved in midfield, and with three fast players leading any counter-attacks the odds of taking the game were increased.

The winning goal was a direct result of the two substitutes. Cleyton with the quick run forward and the timely assist to the other sub, Roukavina, who made the best of the golden opportunity. Noteworthy is the first Salpigidis pass in midfield that released Cleyton on his run.

But as I mentioned before, the goal was the result of Ten Cate's keen eye as it was the result of the skillful players.

Poor HTC has my sympathy for having to cope with the pharse that is Greek football. The latest revelation for the Dutchman happened in Xanthi during the press conference. There, HTC realised that, in Greece, there is no difference btween a fan and a journalist. Well, except that journalists get to abuse the opponents in person rather than from the stands. The bad news for them is that this chap is both able and determined enough to succeed in this crazy environment. And if he has his way with the January transfers, things can only get better. And they will.

Archived