Phantis Forums

Slovakia - Greece

dark_horse

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Away to Slovakia is a good test.

Great work EPO.

We (EPO) need to make our manager earn his keep. Stop listening to every lazy request that Otto makes with regards to squad preparation and opposition selection.

The results in our friendlies are one thing, but the manner in which we play and the use of fresh faces is far more important.

I just hope that Otto gets this point.

Guest TheLegend

shoulda played in greece so i can see it damit.. anyways... we gota start off with teams like these... play every bench player and bring in ppl from the u 21's just to see just to try out find a team that gels. thats how we won the euro the team was a perfect united team.. now they play individualy and for themselves.

• 3 weeks later...

Might we finally see the "youth movement" start with this friendly? Now that Dellas (who admittedly wasn't all that bad at the Euro) has left AEK and will play in Cyprus, I think he's probably lost his spot on the team. I'm basing this on the fact that this is what basically happened to Kapsis.

With Dellas and Antzas out of the picture (and likely with Goumas soon to follow), this should give Papastathopoulos a chance to prove himself. I'll also be eager to see how Papadopoulos does at OLY as I can see him being another possible option. Not to be forgotten are guys like Tavlaridis and Moras (these guys might get a shot in future WC qualifying games). Tavlaridis, although not an Otto favourite may get another chance with the team due to the relative youthfullness of the backline (he could provide a sort of veteran presence along with Kyriakos). I view Moras as a bit of a longshot and he still has to prove himself in Serie A but he did have something of a rejuvenation with Bologna last year and it will be interesting to see how he does. If he continues to play well, we might just have another option at CB.

If Otto doesn't cut him then I hope Dellas simply retires. If the Greek NT wants to have any chance at doing anything at the World Cup we need the youth movement to start now and it seems like the only way to do that is to force Otto's hand with the retirement of certain players.

Guys Dellas has been solid for Greece and AEK, just because he's moved to Ano doesn't mean he should be thrown out of the squad. I think it's about time that Papastathopoulos takes his place in the starting XI, but Dellas still deserves to be in the squad. He's a composed defender with alot of experience and leadership skills.

Guys Dellas has been solid for Greece and AEK, just because he's moved to Ano doesn't mean he should be thrown out of the squad. I think it's about time that Papastathopoulos takes his place in the starting XI, but Dellas still deserves to be in the squad. He's a composed defender with alot of experience and leadership skills.

Agreed, as long as he is getting his minutes with Ano. if he is riding the pine then he should be brought only as a mentor to the young central defenders ( 4th in the pecking order) the new Goumas.

I like the opposition,I am so interested to see who gets the call...has Fyssas been officially named as the GM??

I'm not doubting his ability. He was actually decent at Euro. A stabilizing presence. However, we both know that unless the decision is forced on Otto, the youth movement won't begin (if Antzas had not retired, he'd be in the starting 11 for the WC qualifiers *shudder*). This is why I'd be willing to sacrifice Dellas (who likely wouldn't be able to contribute once we qualify for the WC anyway) in order to get the youth movement kick-started. And this shouldn't stop at Dellas. I don't know why Giannakopoulos hasn't retired yet but he clearly has no future with the team. Same goes for Goumas. There are a few others that, although should probably remain with the team, should be relegated to the bench until further notice (Basinas, Katsouranis).

As for Dellas, I wouldn't be opposed to him staying on as a reserve player (in the Goumas role as OFI-MTL alluded to). I think he has good leadership qualities. The only thing I'm worried about is that as long as Dellas is in the squad and Otto is the coach, he'll have his starting place no matter how well guys like Papastathopoulos, Tavlaridis, or A. Papadopoulos may be playing.

P.S. Sorry if my original post came off as a bash of the Cypriot league. That isn't what I was intending.

Guest TheLegend

Its been years since tavralidis has even appeared for Greece. Im surprised ur even mentioning him. Hes not gona get called up every under otto. We have Kyriakos papdopoulos and papastathopoulos should be more than adequate cover in the CB postion. If you need to sub 2 cb's in one game ur F***er either way and then we have players like Torosidis and Patsazoglou who are versatile

Its been years since tavralidis has even appeared for Greece. Im surprised ur even mentioning him. Hes not gona get called up every under otto. We have Kyriakos papdopoulos and papastathopoulos should be more than adequate cover in the CB postion. If you need to sub 2 cb's in one game ur F***er either way and then we have players like Torosidis and Patsazoglou who are versatile

You can never have too much depth. Sure Torosidis is versatile but realistically, he's a full-back through and through and that's where he's most useful. And there's no guarantee that Papastathopoulos, A. Papadopoulos, and K. Papadopoulos will be able to grab the CB spot (Papastathopoulos has shown me that he deserves a chance, which is why I'm advocating that he get a start for this friendly but he still needs to be more consistent in league play).

I'm still holding out hope for Tavlaridis. He hasn't hit 30 yet and is playing at a relatively high level with some success (or so I hear). You never know with Otto. No one thought Stoltidis would ever get a shot with the NT but Otto did invite him.

You guys are right about CB and really all backs: we are ok there

We also have many options up front, with 6 or 7 quality players there

It is in the midfield that we need help -- 3 kids from PAO - Tsiolis, Dimoutzos and of course Ninis will have to step it up I believe, to help this stale group

And of course at GK, where it looks like only one Greek Sifakis will play in Europe this year

Did I hear correctly is Tsorvas going to AEK to sit on the bench?

Is there any chance a Greek kid gets a chance to replace Malarz at PAO, if he leaves?

I'm really hoping that Lagos somehow has a breakthrough season at LW. If he shows that he's an elite player at that position, it would solve many problems. We'd finally have a left-footed midfielder, thereby allowing us to move away from the 4-3-3/5-3-2.

I'm really hoping that Lagos somehow has a breakthrough season at LW. If he shows that he's an elite player at that position, it would solve many problems. We'd finally have a left-footed midfielder, thereby allowing us to move away from the 4-3-3/5-3-2.

I'd like to see him do well also

but from Otto's statements I dont think he really cares about leftfoot/rightfoot so much

he looks to put his favourite 11 out there -- look at toro

I'd like to see him do well also

but from Otto's statements I dont think he really cares about leftfoot/rightfoot so much

he looks to put his favourite 11 out there -- look at toro

Yes that is the point ....look at the result Euro 08. Fyssas was a key kogand please do not tell me that a left footer or 2 is not needed...Spyrpoulos will get his chance I hope .

Completly agree with you, where else can you find a play who is as rock solid as him?

Completly agree with you, where else can you find a play who is as rock solid as him?

04 Rock solid....right now a shadow of his former self...which guys comes with age!!

He has a place but not as a starter...as a voice of reason to calm down or put players in their place. That is his spot.....why can't we move on...04 was great but 2010 is the goal!!!!

This is a young mans game....now dont litter the field with young pups but do not role out the over the hill gang to ride nostalgia like in 08

Slovakia:

Tzorvas WHOLE GAME

Torosidis,Papastathopoulos,Soto(Capt),Spyropoulos

Ninis,Katsouranis,Basinas,

Samaras,Gekas,Amanatidis

Bench:Makos,Karagounis,Christodoulopoulos,Lagos,Salpi,Avraam,Galitsios,Dimoutsos,Giourkas,Dellas,

Guest TheLegend

I understand your point OFI-mtl about young players but that lineup would not work. The midfeild would be garbage. You cant have a 3 man mid in Greece NT the midfeilders are just not good enough.

You cant put Basinas (a DM) as a LM and Katsouranis expected to create the game.

this is the line up i'd like to see

GK:anyone but halkias(never seen tzorvas play but he can't be worse)

RB:seitaridis(best rb we got)

CB:kyrgiakos(at 29 the peak of his career)

CB:papastathopoulos(sheer class)

LB:spyropoulos(frees toro to play midfield)

RM:ninis(needs matches at this level)

CM:katsouranis(experience amongst the youngsters)

CM:torosidis(fast skillful 2 good feet i'm sure he can play midfield)

LM:christodoulopoulos(see what he can do at this level)

F:amanatidis(captian of frankfurt good enough for me)

F:gekas/samaras (either one will do)

inexperienced side i know but its a friendly lets see what they can do, how else do you gain experiance at international level.

:gr:

I understand your point OFI-mtl about young players but that lineup would not work. The midfeild would be garbage. You cant have a 3 man mid in Greece NT the midfeilders are just not good enough.

You cant put Basinas (a DM) as a LM and Katsouranis expected to create the game.

These were the 11 I wanna see...Otto will not stop at this 4-3-3....even though it is really 4-5-1 Amanatidis is plays the LM role.

Otto is trying to fit Square pegs in round holes!!!

How bout this:

Keeper: anyone but Nikopolidis/Chalkias

Back 4: Giourkas,Socrates,Soto,Spyropoulos

Mids: Ninis,Katsouranis,Makos,Christodoulopoulos

Striker:Samaras,Amanatidis

--------------Like many of you have said - not Chalkias -----

--Giorkas --- Papasthops ---- Kyrgiakos -----Toro

--Ninis -------Basinas -------Katsournis ------Christodops

-------Samaras ---------------Charisteas

There is not mch time to screw around here -- we have to get ready for qualifying

Position by position analysis:

Keepers -- it is going to be Chalkias, I think we all know how Otto works. This big old yiathouri is going to kill us.

I have seen very little of the others but Sifakis is only 23 and will be playing in UEFA Cup matches soon, which will be a great experience for him. Many of you have said Tsorvas is a stud and he also just 25. Kotsolis, Eleftheropoulos, Ambaris....anyone.

Outside backs -- 3 players here Toro, Giorkas and Spropoulos. With vyntra off the bench. Spyropoulos is a natural LB, but the other 2 are better, and Toro has played fairly well on the left. (a Question -- why is Toro so unpoular???)

Center backs -- It is Papasthopoulos' time, Dellas should move into the back up position and get in if we need a 3rd CB or there is an injury. Avraam or Melisis should also get some call ups.

RM - Ninis, write his name in marker re Otto fo rthe next 10 years.

LM -- christodopoulos vs Amantidis as far as I'm concerned, with the door open for Lagos if he can make the move. Amantidis has shown that he can't score, so lets have him try and create.

CM -- Kara can be deadly if he comes off the bench. The other 2 spots are up for grabs. Katsouranis was a pig in EURO, so get somebody in there to challenge him and light a fire under his kolo. Basinas is the captain and still the best playmaker we have, so I can't see him not being part of any starting lineup.

Up front --- Holder -- Samaras, Striker -- Charisteas , Lybe off the bench to score in the 99th minute against crap teams. Samaras can play this role, and is more natural than Charisteas or Salpi at this position. And Charisteas should be our target man, he produces for the ethniki, he scored 1 and should have been creditied for another in EURO. Gekas has 6 career goals and 3 were agains Malta in one game, salpigidis has 1 career goal. They have proven to be s**** on the NT.

I want to see how Samaras -Charisteas work together. They will be big, but admittedly slow.

this 11 is good, good enough to qualify for the WC. We need a kid to join in the mix in the middle of the pitch (Makos, Tsorvas?) to make us strong enough to be contenders in South Africa and one more young forward to emerge.

I know it's tempting to overthrow anyone above the age of 30 following our shambolic Euro tournament, but that's not the way it's done guys. If the younger players are soooo good why is our u-21 team mediocre? The key is to mix youth with experience and know who to call up and who to leave out. For this friendly I'd like to see...

-------------------------------------------Tzorvas--------------------------------------------

-----------------------Seitaridis------Papastathopoulos--------Kyrgiakos----------------

Torosidis----------------Basinas----------------------Karagounis------------Spyropoulos

---------------------------------------------Ninis---------------------------------------------

---------------------------Haristeas--------------------Gekas-------------------------------

Archived