Phantis Forums

What went wrong?

drakos13

drakos for flips sake you're way too negative, man! Since when do we embarrass ourselves in Europe? We're not like the other Greek teams which is why we have the best European record. Next year won't be any different in the CL; but I WOULD like to go in the competition ready; when I say ready I mean looking at the possibility of making it to the semis. At this point in time we have too many things to iron out! So it isn't realistic. Trifilli made some good points. I've said this before; we play a good passing game but Peseiro makes these really weird decisions. There's too much rotation, too many players coming and going, he needs to decide the main guys for the league and the main guys for Europe and stop "experimenting". Wouldn't it be smart to use Fyssas on occasion for his experience? Is he so horrible? Was it a smart thing to try to break in Postiga before the Rangers games only to f uck things up? Was it a smart thing to leave Ivan out of the away at Rangers game? Was it okay to leave Ninis out for the past several months? People can learn from their mistakes and I hope he does. But we need strikers, and not "on loan" guys, thats not the way to build a team.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes Pes has made mistakes but he is human the common problem that we have had all these years is Vardinop*****.

Thats it we need to get rid of him and all our problems will be solved and a new Pao will be re born!

Even if we got Jose Mourniho we would still be shiat as the organisation has turned into a joke.

Its not the coaches fault its the loser/egotistical culture we have at the club

drakos for flips sake you're way too negative, man! Since when do we embarrass ourselves in Europe? We're not like the other Greek teams which is why we have the best European record. Next year won't be any different in the CL

Im just worried is all. Were not great right now, we cant beat Ira, Xanthi and struggled to finish chances and win games.

However I think if we start our european campaign earlier, I think it will force certain people (morons) to try and prepare the team for those matches, and in turn accidently have them more ready for the whole upcoming season. Our last couple preaseasons have contributed to our unsuccesful seasons.

going to qualify 2nd round CL sounds really good to me. We will get a good draw we can win (with our coefficient and all) and then in the 3rd round be well prepared for any opponent... I like the idea of starting our season early, because maybe somebody might find some urgency in preparing the team sooner than we usually do.

Also we cant fail to qualify for the CL in our centennial (at least 2nd half of centennial) - thats just wrong.

petropoulos would help us... hes tall player and strong.. cant understand why we gave him to OFI...

Madboy is actually right....

check out this nice goal...

http://www.goal4replay.net/GoalWatch.asp?ID=4398&Ln=En

We must have sent that same ball to Salpiggidis about a million times vs Xanthi and a fair share vs Iraklis..... We need tall players to play the tall game.

Salpi is great, Im not complaining, but sending high crosses to him is wasted possessions. He needs to be playing more on the wings, he cant be in their wating for crosses deep in the area, its just destroying our rythm.

Madboy is actually right....

check out this nice goal...

http://www.goal4replay.net/GoalWatch.asp?ID=4398&Ln=En

We must have sent that same ball to Salpiggidis about a million times vs Xanthi and a fair share vs Iraklis..... We need tall players to play the tall game.

Salpi is great, Im not complaining, but sending high crosses to him is wasted possessions. He needs to be playing more on the wings, he cant be in their wating for crosses deep in the area, its just destroying our rythm.

oh yeah, i saw the goal on "athlitiki kiriaki"... def an awsome header!!!! Gantsef was super too!!! ill watch the game in a little...

anyway.. some things cant understand... we got manucho... hes not playing... we got petropoulo and we sent him to OFI... ok... we need tall strikers... cuz peseiro loves to play with high balls... imagine IF manucho & petropoulos started together??? all hight ball would go in... salpi is a great forward.. but hes good with katheti pasa (like gonzales or even nini)... salpi is short... 1,65 and katsiampis is like what? 1,85 or so? come on man... m.lakies...

drakos for flips sake you're way too negative, man! Since when do we embarrass ourselves in Europe? We're not like the other Greek teams which is why we have the best European record. Next year won't be any different in the CL; but I WOULD like to go in the competition ready; when I say ready I mean looking at the possibility of making it to the semis. At this point in time we have too many things to iron out! So it isn't realistic. Trifilli made some good points. I've said this before; we play a good passing game but Peseiro makes these really weird decisions. There's too much rotation, too many players coming and going, he needs to decide the main guys for the league and the main guys for Europe and stop "experimenting".

People can learn from their mistakes and I hope he does. But we need strikers, and not "on loan" guys, thats not the way to build a team.

I just think he's being realistic. Olympiakos seem strong in one off games but the team lacks consistency which is vital for league success. While AEK are abysmal. That leaves the door wide open for PAO, and yet the team has thrown away the chance. Blaming the manager is typically Greek and is senseless in this situation. Yes, I'm sure he makes mistakes, but he isn't the only reason. The team lacks natural width (i.e. proper wingers, like Galletti, Robben, Petrov, or the way Kolkka was for PAO, etc. ) Ivan is a very good player, but he drifts centrally and that is a problem when trying to stretch teams. I'm not suggesting Ivan should be replaced, he's probably your best player, but he sould be a dekari with someone else on the wing. Also, Karagounis is not a winger, yes you have Ninis, but he's too young to be so heavily relied on.

PAO also needs an aerial target man, a Manucho style striker is essential to offer you a new attacking dimension. Because when you combine a lack of witdh and no target man it means that you're forced to direct all your attacks centrally and on the ground. This means that any team playing a defensive game with 2 central defenders, narrow full backs and 3 holding midfielders will cause you MANY problems. How many times have we seen PAO struggle to break down teams? This is the same problem Arsenal have in the Prem, and Milan in Serie A.

These of course are not the only limitations this team has, but they are the two main points which have to be addressed over the summer. It's not Pesseiro's fault, without those options (width and aerial prowess) his power is limited. You have blamed the teams problems on:

Wouldn't it be smart to use Fyssas on occasion for his experience? Is he so horrible?

He could no longer get in to the Hearts team (a side that PAO would beat 7-0 on agg), you can't blame losing the league on not having Fyssas in your team.

Was it a smart thing to try to break in Postiga before the Rangers games only to f uck things up?

When you sign players, you do so because you believe they will make an impact. I never rated Postiga, so if you're saying he shouldn't have been bought I agree, but if you think he's a good player and can have an impact, then it's illogical to suggest that he shouldn't have been used against Rangers. He is not a defender that is not yet in tandem with the rest of the unit, he is not a goalkeeper that is rusty, he is a striker and top teams rotate their forwards all the time (Chelsea, Man Utd, Milan, Barca, etc). Playing him was a sign of confidence in the player, you can't criticise the manager for that.

Was it a smart thing to leave Ivan out of the away at Rangers game?

I would have played him, but don't forget you got a positive result in Scotland so this decision hardly cost you qualification.

Was it okay to leave Ninis out for the past several months?

He's been injured. Maybe he hasn't found his rhythm yet, etc. Pesseiro sees him in training everyday, so he knows how ready he is.

Greeks have to stop blaming the manager whenever something goes wrong. PAO don't have the players in 2 very key areas: wingers and an aerial target man. Get those, and you'll see an improvement.

petropoulos would help us... hes tall player and strong.. cant understand why we gave him to OFI...

That makes 2 of us or maybe 3.He is big,tall and can create holes in every defence.He could help Salpi and Papadopoulo to have more room to create/kill.It is a mystery to me also...

PAO also needs an aerial target man, a Manucho style striker is essential to offer you a new attacking dimension. Because when you combine a lack of witdh and no target man it means that you're forced to direct all your attacks centrally and on the ground. This means that any team playing a defensive game with 2 central defenders, narrow full backs and 3 holding midfielders will cause you MANY problems. How many times have we seen PAO struggle to break down teams? This is the same problem Arsenal have in the Prem, and Milan in Serie A.

The last 2 games we played very wide DUDE - but point man (Manucho was nowhere to be found - in fact with the exception of our bad goalkeeping and sloppy defending in the last 2 games - we played very well to make chances, but have no strikers capable of finishing them.

We honestly sent crosses to Salpiggidis repeatedly....I mean in the Xanthi game I know it is amazing to go down 3-0 and still say you were the better team or could have won easily.....but if there was ever an instance of that to happen, it was Xanthi - PAO.

We had a billion chances, and tons of crosses first half with nobody to get on the end of them...(aimed at Salpiggidis, again wasted posessions) a SIMPLE target man who can reach and aim a header and we could have gone 2-1 up in the first half and finished that game off 5-3 even... Sometimes it is actually pretty amazing how coaches dont seem to realize the obvious, and that the time is AGAINST them...

I have to wonder, do they watch over matchtapes???

Does Peseiro ever watch his last match, see 10.0000 potential crosses and plays and just think "my its unfortunate Salpi cant get to that one"? :blink:

We definitly need the target man. Im hoping Petropoulos breaks out into the player weve known hes gonna be when he comes to PAO next season... there was also a Samaras rumor.....which I dont know about since he hasnt been great, but hes tall and at least used to be fast...

great finish by Petropoulos......thing that bothers me though is that the cross was very good too - how is it Karagkounis cant do something like that for a chance (instead of scuffing the ball low and to the near post, which if you pay attention is legitamately ~90% of his crosses, its ridiculous)

I guess we did miss out on something good to help out. But is anybody suprised?

http://www.goal4replay.net/GoalWatch.asp?Ln=En&ID=3060

We really should have caled him back after the amount of injuries we had in tall strikers * could we have called him back ? If we could, poor decision not to. We had too many injuries and too important little amount of games where we could use him even having him there as an option would only helped our game .... I mean to be honest we may STILL need him as we do need to seal that 2nd spot at least or win out if Gavros loses to AEK...

---------------Nikopolids--------------

Seitaridis--Goumas-Kyriakos-Spyropoulos

---------Tziolis--Basinas-Karagounis

-----------------Liberopoulos---------------

-------Salpigidis--Gekas ----------

Add a few biig name foreners to that roster, and thats a team that can go far in europe

Good post DUDE but I'll have to respond to a couple of things. I don't think using Postiga in the Rangers games was very wise simply because he just wasn't with the team long enough to break in. So, clearly he wasn't ready for these crucial matches and yet he was used anyway. Second, the away game at Rangers was not a positive result; Peseiro went for the draw which was wrong simply because we have a better side and could have won. Its "anti soccer", and it cost us. As for Ninis, yes he was injured but has been ready for quite some time now. The age factor influences opinions about him unfortunately; if he can play at a certain level, what the hell difference does it make? I mean, all you have to do is watch and its obvious. Remember I may be bringing up these points but I'm still in favor of keeping Peseiro for at least another season. We need stability and that won't happen by changing coaches every year! And DRAKOS is right about Salp; to try to feed him long shots is absolutely ridiculous, he's too damn short, you know, he's not Haristeas for gods sake! He's okay driftng around the right wing. I remember watching him with the Olympic team in 2004 and he was good in that position. Samaras would be a very good signing but that won't happen anytime soon.

there goes the league again..

i know we've been bagging olympiakos especially for the appeal points.. but in all honesty they will go on and deservingly win the league regardless of the appeal ruling..

im saying it was bullcrap that they appealed because for once they lost to a small club.. but pao always drops points to the small teams and thats what costs us the league each year gamoto..

i dont think olympiakos will drop points to aek and xanthi anymore..

bye bye title

there goes the league again..

i know we've been bagging olympiakos especially for the appeal points.. but in all honesty they will go on and deservingly win the league regardless of the appeal ruling..

im saying it was bullcrap that they appealed because for once they lost to a small club.. but pao always drops points to the small teams and thats what costs us the league each year gamoto..

i dont think olympiakos will drop points to aek and xanthi anymore..

bye bye title

Even though i am very disappointed by our Team i am not so pessimistic yet about the title. Since AEK has managed to get -1 from PAO and -5 from Olympiakos , Aek now has way more interest in winning this Game next weekend. If they win they will have better chances at least for the second place with a better position for the Play offs.

PAO though has to win a difficult game against Panionios (sincerely if nothing changes i doubt we will win). Xanthi yet has big interest in winning against Oly aswell since they fight for entering the positions of the playoffs. Aris on the other hand is another opponent we ll have to win to keep our chances on the tittle. Kalamaria wont stay in the league and so i think this game will be given as a small present to us.

If though PAO screws it as they did last year in the last 4 games and happen to fall down from the second place and miss the chance to get championsleague in the Play offs then Deffinitely Peseiro and Velic are gone. (Peseiro cause of the results and Velic cause he choose him as a coach.)

Interesting thoughts here gents. But, if we drop any points from now on, what claim can we have to the title? We should not have dropped 5 out of 6 in the last TWO games!!! This is chocking. Plain and simple. Don't look to other factors even if they're there (gavroi winning 3 gift points, etc).

[PS. lucky we got 1 point last Sunday, because I watched the game and Ira's goal should have counted!. No offside]

Another thought:

Many here have eluded to the club needing some of its veterans to be involved, and some even suggested a veteran be the coach.

I think what we all have in mind (without wanting to speak for everyone) is that our team is missing some "fire". I saw some fire after the 3-0 in Xanthi, but not before that, and not in the 1-1 with Iraklis.

We need to find the lost "cohones"; The kind that would raise the emotional state of the whole team and make them take the field on fire. The "flat" kind of attitude we see on the pitch when it's time to meet a challenge is probably a reflection of the internal culture that has been cultivated for ten years.

The football operation seems to be running like a retail store. Football needs some fire.

Where can we get some fire? It can come from the fans, the coach, upper management, and players.

The problem is, it does not work if it's uncontrolled. There must be some balance between emotion and logic.

How many remember Anastasiadis. He is a good coach and he sure could fire up the players (and himself), but the team became a circus in the end. We tried the behind the scenes veteran with fire (Anatolakis) with catastrophic results.

We even went to the opposite end. What was that guy we started the season as a coach last summer? I can't even remember his name. He was Danish and brought to the team the personality of a mayonnaise jar. I think Peseiro is not a bad coach for PAO. He does not take any crap from the players, he shows some passion on the sideline, and is rational enough so he does not look like a clown.

I think we need a couple of players with lots of skill *and* pride not to accept defeat. No shaking hands and looking like a college team when we lose. We need some players who would break a few chairs in the locker room and would be able to back-up their bravado with performance on the pitch.

Without fans it's hard to feel some urgency. Many speak of Gate13th absence, and it would be a huge help to have them on the stands, but we also need a full stadium. It's ridiculous that Athens has 4.5 million people, and its major football team can't bring 20000 on the stands every Sunday. :blink:

The club needs to make the "fire" element a priority. It was there when I grew up as a fan, and somehow it deflated. I am not talking about violence. I am talking about some excitement.

What better occasion to market your organization and generate excitement than its 100th anniversary? But where are the events that would get fans fired-up about the team?? What are the celebrations they spoke off before the year started?

The jersey to Hatzipanagis was a cute moment for us who remember him, but my coffee percolator generates more excitement than that. No wonder the players and fans were asleep when the game stared. This whole season went by and no one would know it's our 100th anniversary. Where are the fireworks and laser beams??

And for the love of Green Ants, re-arrange the freaking Panathinaikos anthem with a little more thunder and drum beat; It's so dated with that cute whistling, snare drum, and base line, that I grow a mustache and put on the foustanela every time I hear it :LOL:

Come one PAO, wake up and make some noise :box:

Although irrelevant... it was such a joy to see past and present PAO players playing together and beating Portugal 2-1. :tup:

Basinas was the brains, Kyrgiakos the strength and Kara the heart of the team.

Only imagine the team PAO would be if Tzigger had brains... :tdown:

Let' all rejoice with our NT

HELLAS OLE OLE :gr:

PAO basketball cup winner '08 :tup:

A short diversion in what actually went right for our team today! ;)

PEACE

You know... I've been thinking. (Always a silly thing for me to do, I know :LOL: )

But seriously, why is it that so many players' level of football falls after they join PAO? We've all analysed the strengths and weaknesses the team has, but no one seems to address the fact that very good players go to PAO, and somewhere along the line they either lose it, or don't fulfil their potential.

Seric was a very promising player when he arrived. Eki Gonzalez was amazing, Konstantinou had the world at his feet, Papadopoulos had a fantastic first season then started a down-turn, Sanmartean was immensely talented but flopped, Skacel only found his feet after leaving, Boateng was hot-s%$#! as a youngster but only developed enough to play in Norway! :blink: Let's not even get started about Conceicao. Gekas only really became the player he is after going to Bochum, etc.

Now I'm not saying PAO doesn't produce great players, look at half the Greece NT of Euro 2004! But players that are bought don't seem to fulfil their potential. I'm starting to think that what needs changing is the coaching staff. We're sitting here blaming Vardino, or the fact that PAO needs a left winger and target man, etc, but in reality some very talented players have been at PAO that haven't fulfilled their potential. Maybe new coaches need to be brought in.

Seric was a very promising player when he arrived. Eki Gonzalez was amazing, Konstantinou had the world at his feet, Papadopoulos had a fantastic first season then started a down-turn, Sanmartean was immensely talented but flopped, Skacel only found his feet after leaving, Boateng was hot-s%$#! as a youngster but only developed enough to play in Norway! :blink: Let's not even get started about Conceicao. Gekas only really became the player he is after going to Bochum, etc.

I know and agree with what you say, but you are very wrong about Gkekas.

Gkekas started in Kallithea, where he was awesome, top scorer in Greek league for 2-3 years when they were up......PAO bought him and Gkekas had a lot of class, some great goals, and tied the all time league consecutive goals scored, he was a great player for PAO, so that doesnt fit into your point........Gkekas was good with Kallithea, better with PAO, and best with Bochum/now Leverkusen.

Not like he came to PAO and declined like what you are saying. Gkekas was a fantastic purchase for us, and we were idiots to let him go to Germany after (we just gave him a new contract too) just because we bought Salpiggidis.....

You also forgot:

Epalle --- AWFUL with PAO......seasons after he was leading the league in overall goals with Iraklis he was a maniac.....now hes in the Bundesliga with Bochum.....

Biscan --- I remember that first OAKA friendly vs Zaragoza (we won 2-0) with Conceicao, Biscan, Seric looked simply amazing.... Seric was said to be better than Munch......Conceicao/Biscan were simply "the answers" to our midfield...All of them shortly became total opposite of that.

I dont beleive its the coaches that are the problem. I beleive that players that come here arent properly evaluated to suit the team. Thats scouts. Our coaches are what has made the bulk of Greek talent...the transfers just fail....

As for Gonzalez something snapped...the guy is now a DM.....before he was dribbling and blasting shots going free dazzling us....now hes what?

Sanmartean had incredible fitness, injury and attitude problems...thats why he screwed up

but this isnt only PAO......many big talents and names come to Greece and look horrible......OSFP dont do great with their signings either.....Borja, Dani, Zevlakov, Dacol, Marko Ne, Tassos Kyrgiakos....

and AEK seemed to make players like Delibasic, Velginskiy, Rabenastrada, and recently Aruabuena

OSFP dont do great with their signings either.....Borja, Dani, Zevlakov, Dacol, Marko Ne, Tassos Kyrgiakos....

and AEK seemed to make players like Delibasic, Velginskiy, Rabenastrada, and recently Aruabuena

Yes but there's a difference. Marco Ne was a flop, but the rest... Borja was never a good player, Dani was already a wash-out, D'Acol was just a kid that never developed, Tassos Kyriakos was never expected to be like Eki was to you guys.

As for Zewlakow, he's been a great signing for Oly. :huh:

The point I'm making is that many of PAO's BIG players, like Seric, Eki, Biscan, Conceicao, Konstantinou, etc. Turned to s%$#!. They were great at one point for PAO, so it can't be the scouts' fault. When Delibasic flopped at AEK, that was the scouts' fault, when Artsubi flopped at Oly that was the scouts'. They never performed, never showed anything. But Eki was world class (or certainly appeared so, taking the CL by storm). Konstantinou ripped the league and had a great season in the CL too, (but he's had injury probs so I guess that isn't the fault of anyone). But Seric was brilliant at NT level too, Boateg attracted praise from Alex Fergusen when you guys played them, as you say Epalle was great too (not just for PAO but for Cameroon too). These were big players (or potentially big), whereas Delibasic, Borja, Velginskiy, Rabenastrada, Artsubi, etc, were not.

Maybe it's the attitude of the players? They arrive at PAO then don't give a s%$#!. But can that really be the case? All of them? It's weird.

Guest TheLegend

Seric was a very promising player when he arrived. Eki Gonzalez was amazing, Konstantinou had the world at his feet, Papadopoulos had a fantastic first season then started a down-turn, Sanmartean was immensely talented but flopped, Skacel only found his feet after leaving, Boateng was hot-s%$#! as a youngster but only developed enough to play in Norway!  :blink: Let's not even get started about Conceicao. Gekas only really became the player he is after going to Bochum, etc.

Gkekas started in Kallithea, where he was awesome, top scorer in Greek league for 2-3 years when they were up......PAO bought him and Gkekas had a lot of class, some great goals, and tied the all time league consecutive goals scored, he was a great player for PAO, so that doesnt fit into your point........Gkekas was good with Kallithea, better with PAO, and best with Bochum/now Leverkusen.

Not like he came to PAO and declined like what you are saying. Gkekas was a fantastic purchase for us, and we were idiots to let him go to Germany after (we just gave him a new contract too) just because we bought Salpiggidis.....

You also forgot:

Epalle --- AWFUL with PAO......seasons after he was leading the league in overall goals with Iraklis he was a maniac.....now hes in the Bundesliga with Bochum.....

Biscan --- I remember that first OAKA friendly vs Zaragoza (we won 2-0) with Conceicao, Biscan, Seric looked simply amazing.... Seric was said to be better than Munch......Conceicao/Biscan were simply "the answers" to our midfield...All of them shortly became total opposite of that.

I dont beleive its the coaches that are the problem. I beleive that players that come here arent properly evaluated to suit the team. Thats scouts. Our coaches are what has made the bulk of Greek talent...the transfers just fail....

As for Gonzalez something snapped...the guy is now a DM.....before he was dribbling and blasting shots going free dazzling us....now hes what?

Sanmartean had incredible fitness, injury and attitude problems...thats why he screwed up

but this isnt only PAO......many big talents and names come to Greece and look horrible......OSFP dont do great with their signings either.....Borja, Dani, Zevlakov, Dacol, Marko Ne, Tassos Kyrgiakos....

:LOL: How does Zevlakov tie in with them :LOL:

Youd be lucky to have him on your team ;)

when he plays well hes great

Seric was a very promising player when he arrived. Eki Gonzalez was amazing, Konstantinou had the world at his feet, Papadopoulos had a fantastic first season then started a down-turn, Sanmartean was immensely talented but flopped, Skacel only found his feet after leaving, Boateng was hot-s%$#! as a youngster but only developed enough to play in Norway!  :blink: Let's not even get started about Conceicao. Gekas only really became the player he is after going to Bochum, etc.

You also forgot:

filippakos too.. he was very promising player on osfp but what happened to him?

Archived