Phantis Forums

Tickets on sale for Euro 2008

plato-ny

• 1 month later...

The application phase for tickets for UEFA EURO 2008™ which was launched on www.euro2008.com on 1 March closed as scheduled at midnight on 31 March. 588.716 football fans from 142 countries have ordered a total of 10'359'177 tickets. This means that ticket requests received for the final tournament taking place in Austria and Switzerland from 7 to 29 June 2008 have been 18 times as many as for the tournament in Portugal four years ago and nearly as many as for the 2006 FIFA World Cup in Germany (10.8 million tickets requested). All matches and price categories are oversubscribed.

“Individual Match Tickets” and category 3 the favourites

Of the three types of ticket available (Individual Match tickets, Follow My Team Group and Follow My Team Tournament), “Individual Match Tickets” (IMT) were the clear favourites, with 417'885 applicants requesting a total of 8'467'919 tickets for the 31 matches. The three most sought-after matches were:

1. Final in Vienna - 651'141 tickets requested

2. Semi-final in Basle - 561'565 tickets requested

3. Semi-final in Vienna - 502'081 tickets requested

IMT (Individual Match Tickets) Applications per country

SWITZERLAND29%

GERMANY 27%

AUSTRIA 21%

PORTUGAL 3%

NORWAY 2%

ENGLAND 2%

NETHERLA NDS 2%

SPAIN 2%

TURKEY 1%

ISRAEL 1%

POLAND 1%

ITALY 1%

UNITED STATES 1%

FRANCE 1%

UKRAINE1%

Others 5%(< 1%) (Greece is in this percentage)

48 % of applicants ordered tickets in category 3, 25% requested the middle category and 27 % wanted tickets in the top price category.

“Follow My Team” tickets

Germany, Switzerland, England, the Netherlands and Austria are the five teams with the most dedicated fans – or at least these are the national teams for whose matches the most tickets have been requested.

For “Follow My Team Group” tickets, 119'110 fans ordered 1'224'564 tickets, while 51'721 applicants requested 666'694 “Follow My Team Tournament” tickets for matches involving their favourite team.

Ticket lottery for all matches

The huge interest in tickets for UEFA EURO 2008™ has confirmed expectations that all 31 final round matches would be overbooked by the end of the ticket application phase. As previously stated, the validity of all applications received will now be checked. Then 33% of a total of 1.05 million available tickets will go into a random lottery in mid-April, which, under notarial supervision, will allocate tickets for each individual match and price category. All applicants will be informed by the end of April 2007 as to whether they have been successful or not.

Because of the huge overbooking of tickets for all matches, the second sales phase for any remaining tickets that was provisionally envisaged for June 2007 will no longer take place. A further possibility of getting tickets will be provided by the national associations taking part in the final round. They will receive an average 19% of the total ticket quota for each match involving their team and will sell these tickets to their fans through their own channels after the draw in December 2007.

Archived