Phantis Forums

Official Vassilios Tsiartas Appreciation Thread

Euphoria

I think we should have a thread dedicated to this great player now that he has just retired from professional football.

A naturally gifted player wiht a pinpoint shot and cross. He saved us from elimination against Spain and Czech Rep. at Euro, and against Ukraine in WC qualifying.

I also remember his successful time with AEK, the free kick against Real Madrid is still clear in my mind.

Thanks for the memories Vassili

Posted Image

Very talented and skillful ball player who's technique was just as good as anyones (better ball player than Pele was in his day).

Tsiartas and Hatzipannagis should be what all Greek footballers should look at emulating (in terms of technique and football ability).

I remember watching how during the qualification to the Champions League years ago Tsiartas and Kostis just terrorised Rangers in Athens and especially at Ibrox.

It was like watching the skillful flair of Argentians, but these were Greeks. Oh how Greece is crying out for another Tsiartas in the present era of untalented hacks.

I know the guy had some attitude issues and behaved like a spoilt twat at times, but his talent elevated him above all that at the end.

Very talented and skillful ball player who's technique was just as good as anyones (better ball player than Pele was in his day).

Dude you've got a great dry sense of humour at times and I'm not sure if this is one of those moments but if you're being serious STAY OFF THE CRACK!

It was like watching the skillful flair of Argentians, but these were Greeks. Oh how Greece is crying out for another Tsiartas in the present era of untalented hacks.

Why do so many Greeks "fans" find it necessary to criticise our Euro 2004 heroes? We have some top players. Yes we lack width and a quality frontman but many of our players are plagued with injuries which have impeded their careers (Dellas, Kapsis, Haristeas) others have aged or retired (Zagorakis, Vryzas, Karagounis, Nikolaidis, Georgiadis, Venetidis, Basinas). But they still give everything (those still in the squad). Its so disrespectful to call them untalented hacks.

When a player leaves one club for a rival (i.e. Nikopolidis, Konstantinou, etc) the fans call them traitors but loyalty works both ways. Are the fans ever genuinely loyal?

Anyway this is a Tsiartas appreciation thread so I won't go off on a rant about other matters. He was an unbelievably talented player. Technically fantastic, wonderful passer of the ball and a masterful left foot. He reminded me alot of Matther Le Tissier only better. We sure do miss him now, esp his set pieces which always caused havoc.

Dude you've got a great dry sense of humour at times and I'm not sure if this is one of those moments but if you're being serious STAY OFF THE CRACK!

Why do so many Greeks "fans" find it necessary to criticise our Euro 2004 heroes? We have some top players. Yes we lack width and a quality frontman but many of our players are plagued with injuries which have impeded their careers (Dellas, Kapsis, Haristeas) others have aged or retired (Zagorakis, Vryzas, Karagounis, Nikolaidis, Georgiadis, Venetidis, Basinas). But they still give everything (those still in the squad). Its so disrespectful to call them untalented hacks.

When a player leaves one club for a rival (i.e. Nikopolidis, Konstantinou, etc) the fans call them traitors but loyalty works both ways. Are the fans ever genuinely loyal?

Anyway this is a Tsiartas appreciation thread so I won't go off on a rant about other matters. He was an unbelievably talented player. Technically fantastic, wonderful passer of the ball and a masterful left foot. He reminded me alot of Matther Le Tissier only better. We sure do miss him now, esp his set pieces which always caused havoc.

Hey thanks for the sort of backhanded compliment.

I was in fact serious and I stand by my rating of many of the current crop of players.

Aside of a very few exceptions (Katsouranis/Dellas/Karagounis on his day) , the bulk of the Euro Greek squad is deficient in many ways (technically and other)against most of the worlds players.

There used to be a time when most Greek players would have been a step above the average player in Asia/North America/Australia but sadly the opposite is now true.

I will always be optimistic and support Greek football, but I will call it how it is and not expect mediocrity when it is dressed up and presented to be somethign that falls short.

Hey thanks for the sort of backhanded compliment.

I was in fact serious and I stand by my rating of many of the current crop of players.

Aside of a very few exceptions (Katsouranis/Dellas/Karagounis on his day) , the bulk of the Euro Greek squad is deficient in many ways (technically and other)against most of the worlds players.

There used to be a time when most Greek players would have been a step above the average player in Asia/North America/Australia but sadly the opposite is now true.

I will always be optimistic and support Greek football, but I will call it how it is and not expect mediocrity when it is dressed up and presented to be somethign that falls short.

No 'are you being serious comment was aimed at the Pele comparision' you were joking right? :blink:

• 3 months later...

No 'are you being serious comment was aimed at the Pele comparision' you were joking right? :blink:

Yeah I was.

Not that I ever saw Pele play.

I think he was overrated from the clips I have seen of him.

People go on about how he "nearly" scored from the half way - well David Beckham DID in fact score and it was from his own half! I don't hear anyone claiming him being the world's greatest.

Players like Ronaldinho, Zidane, Messi, Aimar have far more skill than the Pele I have seen and yes, even Tsiartas as this is his thread after all.

Maradona is the best player ever in my opinion.

Pele was the best player in the immediate years post WWII when football was very much in its infancy. There were definite distinctions in players, but these days in theory your left back should possess just as much skill and falir as your traditional number 10.

People criticise Romario for counting goals he scored in practice matches as part of his official goal scoring tally, but as Baddiel and Skinner showed, Pele also counted hundreds of goals he scored in training/exhibition/unofficial matches as part of his official tally.

Let's end this myth that somwhow Pele is the greatest footballer.

Tsiartas had more skill than Pele. Bold statement I know, but from what I have seen I stand by it.

To be fair, Pele was the best of his time and has scored more goals than any other player on the professional level. However Tsiartas can pass the ball and take a free kick at a level that only very few players can match or even better. Both are exceptional players and play different styles...to compare either is unfair. One thing I loved about Tsiartas was his fearlessness, not afraid to speak his mind and not intimidated by his opposition...not ever. :nw: You look at Greece now and you can see we sorely miss a player of his quality. Thanks for the memories.

Archived