Phantis Forums

Greece set to land F1 race?

ZeeKoei

Greece has found the right site to build a Formula One race track, the country's tourism minister Dimitris Avramopoulos said on Wednesday.

"There is a location in Viotia," he told reporters without providing further details. Viotia is about 100 kilometres north of Athens.

your news are a bit old my friend ;)

trust me, if Greece will host a gp, you'll know it from me! :D

who cares if its old?

i just heard it now. that would be awsome. that would be excellent for greece as they are becoming, once again, a real recognisable force.

:gr: :gr:

Do you know how many people have said this in the past.. Even Papoutsis (the guy who ran for athens mayor along with bakogianni) 3 years ago had it in his plan...

Of course that was just promises (as a PASOKOS he has been used to it) to get some votes, but thank god he was sent to the vourko along with the other PASOKIA!!! Now we eill send Bakogianni to the vourko because of teh PAO stadium.... :angry:

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

From Atlas F1

Ecclestone wants F1 Grand Prix in Athens

By Jonathan Noble January 9th 2006, 10:35 GMT

Greece's hopes of hosting a Formula One race in the near future have moved a step closer after a visit from Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone at the weekend.

The sport's commercial boss travelled to Athens to inspect the Hellinikon Olympic Complex site to judge whether it would be suitable for a Grand Prix. 

The venue, which is on the site of the former airport that closed in 2001, hosted basketball, baseball and kayak events during the 2004 Olympic Games, and organisers want to use the same grandstands for the F1 race.

Local developers are pondering how best to make use of the site and, although the possibility of a track at the venue was ruled out last year, Ecclestone appears to favour a race being held there rather than elsewhere in the country.

"Why do you look for a place for a circuit that is a further 80 kilometres from Athens?" he told local officials at the end of his visit. "You have everything here."

The other venue, 80 km from Athens, was Orchomenos, near Livadia.

Greece has made no secret of its desire to host an F1 race, but it was thought that it would have to be away from Athens after the Greek Environment, Town Planning and Public Works Minister George Souflias said last year that Hellinikon would be turned into a large public park.

"I am not against a Formula One race track being built in Greece , but not in a residential area and only with the appropriate infrastructure and facilities," he said last August.

Archived