Phantis Forums

The Best Team In Greece

Grigoris

I posted this in a different forum after reading through one of the typically frustrating debates between PAO and OLY fans regarding which is the best team in Greece. I may be off on some points, or even some facts, but I am interested in hearing what AEK fans think about their teams future and Demis' vision.

This argument is going to be moot in about 5 years when AEK leaves the rest of the Greek league behind. No other big team in Greece right now is showing the vision that Demis has for AEK. This year for AEK was just about survival - yet they finished third (and had a mathematical shot at the championship up until the final day).

Not only that, AEK managed to average 27,000 fans per home game . . . all at a borrowed stadium. He encouragd families to attend the games. He stood up to the fan groups (unlike OLY and PAO) and made a successful push to eliminate violence. Let's face it -- the OLY-Panionios and Aris-Iraklis incidents were an embarrassment. And if PAO fans get a laugh out of that, getting banned for the last two games EVER at Leoforos, and possibly costing your team the title, all during a game that you WON AND had no away supporters in attendance, is also an embarrassment.

Moreover, he has brought in a coach with a proven pedigree . . . and stood by him the entire season. Baevic had no support at OLY - DESPITE just winning the double. And now he may be leaving Greece for good. And how many coaches did PAO have this year? (I'm actually surprised that PAO did not dump Malesani after losing out on the title, based on their track record.) If Santos were at PAO or OLY, he would have been fired after losing to Ionikos 1-0 late in the season like he did. Instead, Demis supported him AND the team 100%. In fact, despite losing out on the title AND the Champions League by losing to Ionikos, AEK's last game against Kalamaria was a huge crowd and a celebration of all the team achieved this year.

As far as the team itself goes, AEK undoubtedly lost some big names in the past offseason. However, wtha mixture of loaned players, young talent, other team's rejects, "second tier" players and Katsouranis, they performed well above expectations by playing as a unit and believing in each other and the coach. Support from within the organization apparently has a positive impact on team moral and performance. There is no denying that there was dissension in the team for both OLY and PAO this year, and the main blame lies with the ownership. AEK has made some good, if not spectacular, signings recently and is making a concerted effort to strengthen its youth development as well.

Finally, and I know I am leaving a lot out, but AEK, like PAO (and like OLY already has with Karaskaiki), is making plans on a new stadium. A lot has been said about not building a large stadium (I believe Demis wants a 45,000 seat stadium). However, the current AEK vision is to be a BIG team, both in Greece AND in Europe. AEK has already shown this year that it can attract fan support. If it wasn't for Karaskaiki, AEK would have likely outdrew PAO and OLY COMBINED. With a good infrastructure, quality football, players who do not put themselves above the team or the coach, a family atmosphere, no fan violence, a positive relationship with the fan clubs, Demis knows he can fill a 45,000 seat stadium for all AEK games, both Greek and European. The bottom line in this regard is that Demis has shown that he cares about the good of the TEAM and about the team's fans, players and coach. In turn, each has done their part to make AEK a better team. They are likely the team of the future as far as Greek teams go.

On a short side note, isn't AEK the only Greek team to have qualified for the quarter-finals of the European Cup, the Cup Winners Cup and the UEFA Cup? If so, does that make them the best Greek team in Europe or at least the best team in Greece.

More fuel for the fire.

take it easy with all the 27000 fans and so on man!

the truth is if aek gets humiliated again in europe i am not so sure that there fans will accept that, also is not a survive season it is a show me the money season !

so if aek do not perform and not again get the second place then u will see another face of the fans

Grigoris,

You are preaching to the choir, my friend. All of those who follow AEK share your thoughts and feel that we are not only heading in the right direction, but it is a matter of time before we get there.

Great things can be done when there is unity and support within the doiikisi, the coaching staff, and the players. I was very doubtful of Demis when he took over. What could a 31-year-old know about running any team, much less one that had as many problems as AEK? Well, he has happily proved everyone, including myself, wrong. He is proving to be an incredible leader. One who can not only start to heal some very deep financial and emotional wounds, but also address the various power brokers within the AEK camp, including Granitsas, Melissanidis, and Original.

He is very serious about what he is doing and it is apparent that he is going to address ALL aspects of AEK: the football club, the doiikisi, the erasitexniki, the new stadium, sponsorship, merchandising, marketing, supporter relations, the other tmimata in AEK, etc.

I have never felt as optimistic as an AEK fan as I do know. Granted it will take a few years, but when the foundation is laid correctly, 'miracles' can happen. My only fear is that some of the other powers within Greek football will sabotage Demis and his efforts. This WILL happen, no doubt about it. But I'm confident that Demis will be ready when the time comes.

Long-term, I think the success of AEK will foreshadow good things for all of Greek football, as the model is being create by Demis and his group. Hopefully, the others will take heed and follow his example.

AEKARA S'AGAPO SAN TIPOT'ALLO!!!

I was preaching since last summer.... .. "Hrthe h Ora na mas zoulevoune"....

What's happening often in Greece when somebody has a succesful business ?

Other copy his methods.

The same happens now...

Suddenly PAO goes to OAKA...

Krokus engages Karambeu as technical Director (but they have no chance with their feudal structures)....

PAOK fans were discussing of Koudas to take the team...........

Personally, I like the fact that AEK might pull the others forward.

But the state must get off their butt and shield those efforts.

We cannot have the Psomiadis Family re-entering this Championship for example. And we cannot afford the rebirth of violence supported by the clubs themselves!

AEK is on the right track. I just hope that this time the solutions for others will e to Follow rather than fight us back to their level.

I was preaching since last summer.... .. "Hrthe h Ora na mas zoulevoune"....

What's happening often in Greece when somebody has a succesful business ?

Other copy his methods.

The same happens now...

Suddenly PAO goes to OAKA...

Krokus engages Karambeu as technical Director (but they have no chance with their feudal structures)....

PAOK fans were discussing of Koudas to take the team...........

Actually from a business point of view, OAKA is very good. While I was in Athens I enjoyed going there. I watched plenty of PAO-OLY games, which would simply be impossible is the small Leoforos. I would still pay to go there, especially after the Olympics. I don't understand really why teams do not prefer it. I hope some team takes it for 49 years or something. It will be a pity otherwise.

Archived