Phantis Forums

F1 off season news

Iliana

from F1 Racing. Net

Ferrari sign Williams tester Gene

The Ferrari team has announced it has signed former WilliamsF1 lead test driver Marc Gené to join the Italian team immediately a test driver for the coming year. Gené will be testing at Ferrari alongside their regular test driver Luca Badoer.

Marc Gené started his Formula One career at Minardi in 1999 and drove for the Italian team for two seasons. In 2001 Gené joined the Williams Formula One team as a test driver where he remained until the end of this season. Gené replaced Ralf Schumacher for two races last season but failed to score any World Championship points. He also stood in for Ralf at the Italian Grand Prix in 2003 when his performance was reasonable.

Williams therefore have a vacancy for a race and a test driver. The choice is between Pizzonia, Davidson or Heidfeld.

Williams launch January 31st

The BMW Williams team will present their FW27 to the press on the 31st of January 2005 in Valencia, Spain. The team will be driving the new car at the Spanish track right after the launch for the first time.

At the moment Mark Webber is signed up as a Williams driver for 2005. Antonio Pizzonia, Anthony Davidson and Nick Heidfeld are all going to test in the upcoming three weeks with the Williams team to fight for the second Williams seat.

Germans vote Schumi sportsman of the century

Michael Schumacher has been voted Germany's sportsman of the 20th century in a television pole. Germans elected Schumacher ahead of eight-time Olympic canoe gold medallist Birgit Fischer and tennis champion Steffi Graf.

Schumacher has won seven Formula One world championships while Graf won 22 grand slam titles and held the top ranking in womens tennis for 377 weeks - a record.

"I never would have expected an honour like this," Schumacher said of the result which polled 100,000 viewers.

Tennis champion and F1 fan Boris Becker came in fifth behind Franz Beckenbauer.

Red Bull buys Jaguar

Austrian energy drink makers Red Bull said on Monday they had bought the Jaguar Formula 1 motor racing team from Ford who withdrew the team after this year's world championship.

Parent company Ford put Jaguar Racing up for sale in September after the British-based team failed to produce the goods in Formula 1 despite a $100-million-a-year budget.

Red Bull were Jaguar sponsors this year.

Jaguar has a magnificent motorsport heritage but that has not been the case in Formula 1.

The team, which was created after Ford bought Stewart Grand Prix, quickly became renowned for regular changes of management during its early years with former racers Niki Lauda and Bobby Rahal both spending time at the helm.

After enjoying tremendous success in sportscars Jaguar made a high-profile arrival in 2000 when posterboards surrounding Melbourne's Albert Park Grand Prix circuit heralded the coming of the cat'.

They signed the 1999 world championship runner-up Eddie Irvine from Ferrari but their opening season yielded just four points and their second year just nine and Northern Irishman Irvine left after a third season.

Australian Mark Webber, who will now join Williams, took up the job of team leader but in his two years with the team he has never managed to better the fifth place finish he scored for his previous team Minardi on his Grand Prix debut.

Toyota will supply engines to JordanF1 Team for 2005.

from f1racing.net

Time is right to be at Renault - Fisichella

After his first test last week in Barcelona, Giancarlo Fisichella sat down to share his thoughts about his progress so far, and his first impressions of the Renault team.

Giancarlo, how did your first test with the team go?

It was nice to be back! I was very excited when I went to the factory several weeks ago, and I was happy to get in the car and start working. There was a lot to adapt to - the engine, tyres and chassis were all new to me. We had some software problems on the first morning but after that, we were working on the set-up to improve it for my style of driving. We certainly went in the right direction, and I was feeling much more comfortable by the end of the week. At this stage, it is not about being quickest or slowest on the timesheets: I just need to learn as much as I can.

What impressed you most about the car?

The engine was powerful and pulled strongly from low revs. On the chassis side, mechanically it was very good and the traction is impressive. The handling was a bit inconsistent at high speed but we made some progress during the week, although I want to work more to find exactly the right feeling for my driving style.

How was it to return to the team after three years?

Honestly, it was very easy - at least 50% of the mechanics are the same and I worked with my engineer (Alan Permane) for four years when I was with Benetton. I know his character well, and he knows mine, so I am glad we are working together again. The atmosphere in the team is the same as when I left, it has the same character, but the attitude has changed. You can feel that they have higher targets than they did three years ago, and are working even more to achieve them.

Do you think you have changed in the time since you left?

Yes, I think so. I have more experience, which is very important. In terms of speed, I think I am as quick as ever, but I have learned a lot in the last three years. Even when I had a bad car I was pushing 101%, and this means I can also give good technical answers to the team - I understand which direction we need to push in. Also, in the races this year with Sauber, I got used to doing long stints and looking after the tyres, pushing hard in the strategic moments of the race. I think that will be valuable experience in order to be successful under the tyre regulations for 2005.

There is still a long way to go, but how do you feel after the opening test?

Mentally, I am very positive. For a driver, it is important to be in a top team, and to have a chance of winning. That may bring more pressure, but I don't mind. When I have had pressure on my shoulders in the past I have been quick, and I can already see there is fantastic potential here. It is a perfect time to be with Renault - they want to win races and I do too.

from f1racing.net

A drunk Kimi Raikkonen collapsed in the street after a wild night out in Gran Canaria, the German media revealed. The McLaren driver in Formula One was photographed by 'Bild' newspaper in a drunken pose, and later lying still on a footpath. He told a Finnish newspaper: "I must say sorry!" 

But the 25-year-old is clearly frustrated that - at the end of a long championship season - he can't go out without massive media scrutiny. Kimi asked: "Why shouldn't I go out and have a few drinks? Sometimes I wish I were just a normal guy."

Former F1 driver and German commentator Hans Stuck condemned Raikkonen's alcoholic bender. He said: "Raikkonen is a role model for ... children and young people."

there are also pictures from that night if you wanna see :rolleyes: :P

The FIA has confirmed that ten teams have registered for the 2005 FIA Formula One World Championship, this includes the new Red Bull team, Jordan and Minardi. The FIA also confirmed the numbers that would be alotted to each team with Michael Schumacher once again taking number 1.

Jenson Button will have number 3 on his BAR Honda while team mate Sato will be number 4. The two Renaults of Alonso and Fisichella will carry the numbers five and six while Mark Webber and his (yet to be decided) WilliamsF1 team mate will be numbers seven and eight.

Kimi Raikkonen and Juan Pablo Montoya will be numbers nine and ten for the coming season while Jacques Villeneuve will carry 11 on his Sauber Petronas while team mate Massa will be 12.

The new Red Bull team will bear numbers 14 and 15 on its cars. The team is currently registered as 'Jaguar Racing' but this is merely a formality while the name is officially changed to Red Bull Racing.

Toyota's Jarno Trulli will be number 16 with Ralf Schumacher 17. Meanwhile Jordan have registered with a Toyota engine but like Red Bull Racing or Minardi have not registered their drivers yet.

Teams have until 3 March to confirm their driver line ups.

Archived