Phantis Forums

Match times

Just curious to know why do the CL and WC Qualifying home matches in Athina are played late at night @ 21:30pm, instead of 7 or 8 pm?

Does it have to do with the athens traffic mess or the beautiful hot summer sun? :)

Pro Hockey matches here that last 2.5 hrs used to begin at 8pm. Then they were changed to 7:30, and now pushed back to 7pm.

chameleon65, my assumption is that you are from North America, here is my take:

All Champions League games must be played at the same time except for games played in Russia.

The games start at 21:45 (Greece, Turkey, Israel)

The games start at 20:45 (Rest of Europe)

The games start at 19:45 (Britain and Portugal)

Thus all games are in Prime Time. Especially in countries like England, Germany and Spain where UEFA cares about ratings. Not unlike Baseball World Series games that start at 20:15 in New York (Where the ratings are) but at 17:15 in Los Angeles.

As for World Cup and Euro Qualifying the games start at 21:45 most likely for the following reasons:

1. Continuity with Champions League Game (everyone is used to it now and gives it a big game feel)

2. Unlike North America, people go out and stay out later in Greece.

Well chaniaFC to be exact I'm from Montreal.

The tv prime time thing and the 2 hr time difference between GR and UK didnt cross my mind and obviously like you mentioned more importance given to west europe.

Actually they can leave the match times since it gives us the chance here to watch them @ 2:45 pm. Works for me.

And one more thing, we also go and stay out late B). You in TO or MTL?

chameleon65,

I'm in Toronto.  You are right people in Montreal do go out later than anyone else most likely because of Montreal's Euro Influence.

Not as much in Toronto.

I was aware you were in Canada. When I wrote we also go out here I meant for us canadians. B)

Archived