Phantis Forums

Assion aiming for Salzburg survival

Posted Image

Assion aiming for Salzburg survival

Tuesday, 16 March 2004

SV Austria Salzburg have parted company with coach Walter Hoermann and replaced him with Peter Assion.

No wins

Former Liechtenstein coach Hoermann has only been in charge since the turn of the year but managed to garner just one point from four games. Assion, the club's director of sport, will assume coaching responsibilities having already led the team successfully in the five-game period between Hoermann's appointment and the departure of Lars Soendergaard.

Points needed

"I feel very sorry for Walter Hoermann," said Assion. "But I must now make sure that we regain the will to win." Assion, who was previously in charge of SW Bregenz, will share the coaching duties with Felix Kurbasa.

Lowly position

Hoermann, who left FC Vaduz in December to move to the Austrian Bundesliga, led Salzburg for the last time in a 3-2 defeat against VfB Admira Wacker Moedling on Saturday. The club are second from bottom and have just 21 points, three fewer than their nearest rivals SK Sturm Graz and just three more than last-placed FC Kaernten.

Looking forward

Salzburg president Rudolf Quehenberger said: "There were a couple of indicators showing that things simply didn't fit. I couldn;t see the ambition and desire to win which had been present during the last five games in the autumn under Assion. In sporting terms we have failed miserably."

Archived