Phantis Forums

New Transfer: Jurgen Macho

Genome

Jurgen Macho started his first-team career with Wiener Sportclub in 1996 and moved after one season to First Vienna FC, where he spent three seasons before leaving for English Premiership side Sunderland in 2000. At Sunderland, he spent three seasons as the second-choice keeper, behind Danish international Thomas Sørensen, and managed a total of 22 appearances in the Premiership. He then transferred to Chelsea for the 2003-04 Premiership season, but was mostly the fourth-choice keeper there and failed to make a single competitive appearance with the team. In August 2004, he left Chelsea for Austrian Bundesliga side Rapid Wien, where he only spent four months and managed eight appearances in the Bundesliga as well as two in the UEFA Cup. In January 2005, he joined German Bundesliga side Kaiserslautern, where he first spent six months as the third-choice keeper behind Tim Wiese and Thomas Ernst. However, he managed to become the first-choice keeper for the 2005-06 season, when Wiese left for Werder Bremen and Ernst lost his place in the starting 11. He subsequently made a total of 20 appearances in the Bundesliga that season, but missed nearly the entire second part of the season due to an injury. He continues to be Kaiserslautern's first-choice keeper during the 2006-07 season of the Second Bundesliga, where the club was relegated after finishing 16th in the first division previous season. Since February 2005, he also won seven international caps for the Austrian national team, including two 2006 FIFA World Cup qualifiers in October 2005.

Source.

I know Macho well from his stay at Sunderland AFC. I hope he does well with AEK.

He'll probably start out as second string but could make it as our regular keeper as nothing is written in stone with Moretto.

Did he give you the impression of being a solid goaly ?

Well he was second string but it was to Sorensen who was Schmeichel's successor as keeper of Denmark. He is not bad.

I believe he may have been capped by Austria.

Sorensen is terrible re file! He makes almost as many howlers as Nikopolidi!!

Uefa article on the transfer:

Macho makes AEK move

Friday 31 August 2007

AEK Athens FC have signed Austrian international goalkeeper Jurgen Macho from 1. FC Kaiserslautern for a reported fee of €300,000.

Sudden move

Capped eleven times by his country, Macho has agreed a two-year contract with the Greek club who will play Sevilla FC in the second leg of their delayed UEFA Champions League third qualifying round encounter on Monday. Macho, who made 54 Bundesliga appearances for Kaiserslautern in two-and-a-half years, said: "I am very glad to be in Athens and I look forward to playing for AEK. The transfer was sudden, it all happened very quickly, but I know I made the right choice."

Relishing competition

Macho will have to compete with fellow new signing Marcelo Moretto for the No1 spot in Lorenzo Serra Ferrer's side. "It will be a welcome challenge for me to fight for a spot in the starting eleven. All I can promise is that I will work hard to make it happen and I know I can achieve my goals," said Macho.

Source.

• 1 month later...

Granted he played very well against Panionios, but isn't it a bit early to talk about an extension for this guy? I'd say let him prove it over the course of the season first (we have him under contract for 2 years anyways). Just hope he keeps up the great play.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Acording to Ethnos newspaper the newly-promoted Bundelisga team TSG Hoffenheim is interested in Macho and may be offering AEK 2 million euros for him. The report says that AEK may well be interested in such a deal! That would be a great pity because Macho was one of the better-performed goalkeepers at Euro 2008 and he would be an asset this year. Then again, he apparently still has aspirations of rejoing one of the major European leagues to further his career and AEK may want the money. But that would leave a great hole in our goalkeeping ranks. :angry:

Archived