Phantis Forums

Wanted: 1 New Manager

Akritis_1944

Oh, and I just heard on ERT that Seitaridis is also out for Wed. I wonder who will take his place? Amanatidis is out as well (probably for the best, other than hitting the post he is useless). I hope Reh. plays 4-4-1-1 with Malta, with Gekas as the playmaker (he can control the ball well) and Samaras up front. I think this will solve our scoring problem.

Btw, for everyone talking about new Greek talent--we have none! The Greek leagues as a whole, compared to the rest of Europe, completely suck! So, what seems like talent in Greece is trash at the international level. It seems many people are expressing their opinions based on their bias as an Olymp. fan, AEK fan, etc. You can't choose players like that, and you can't change the team in one fell swoop.

I agree we need changes, but they have to be made seamlessly 1 by 1. We had 1 bad game Sat. You people act as if we were a European powerhouse in the past and are now on decline. Like Rehhagel has said in the past, "we are not Brazil." Truth be told, we have always SUCKED in the past! Even our poor performance now is better than before, at least we are still in the top of the group; look at past qual. results (except 80) and one will laugh.

I say we remain patient and see what happens! Sat. was a good thing, it was a nice kick in the ass for them. Don't forget the criticism Rehhagel endured when he first got the job, we even lost the first two matches in the Euro 2004 qual. campaign; everyone was saying the same thing then as well...we need this or that player, etc...eventually we bounced back and led the group.

nono this is 3 years of pure garbage performances, awful and embarassing results Otto is DONE. It is clear, and undeniable that he does not include or account for things like form in his selections. He is extremely hestiant to make a new system and base of players, and given the age, dieing form of the current squad, not doing these things or even ATTEMPTING to is a failure of his job.

To analyse his job now, FORGET 2004. Everything post 2004 has been an utter disgrace. Its 3 years now, its his selections in the squad and his non-selections that are why Greece is not living up to its potential. Rehagel lost to Turkey 4-1 at home, on our national holiday weekend, with horrible decisions made. If you are going to be sacked for Anything, that is it.

People saying hes ok to stay = not in touch with reality. Its 2007. We made it to the top once yeah but the idea was to stay in that range. We are freefalling right back to the old days of CRAP. You progress, your supposed to keep it going. Otto has lowered the level back down, and its time now more than ever for a new generation of players and coaches. The 2004 has peaked, and has finished. End of Story.

bad news:

We shouldn't be quick to expect progress! We had some luck in Euro2004, remeber we only made it to the finals on goal difference with Spain because of 1 goal we pluncked in against Russia. Had Spain tied with Portugal, our team would have been packing their bags.

All I am saying is that we need change, but not now when we are still in contention. If we were in last place - like we usually were in the past- yes fine, then, by all means sack Rehhagel and bring in new players; nothing to lose in this case.

However, we are still going relatively strong...chances are greater that if we bring in a new coach now we will sabotage ourselves! Like I said above, lets be patient and see what happens...Sat. was a kick in the ass for good players who were playing like s%$#!! Let's not let emotions get the best of us now.

And I wouldn't call 3 years crap...compared to our past results it wasn't that bad. We narrowly missed qualifying for WC 06, we didn't come in second to last or last as in the past.

Btw, for everyone talking about new Greek talent--we have none! The Greek leagues as a whole, compared to the rest of Europe, completely suck!

theres a lot coming up man...

Ninis, Tziolis, Spyropoulos, Lagos, Mantzios, Avraam Papadopoulos, Arabatzis, Illiadis, Pappas, Kiliaras,Xristodoulopoulos , Papastathopoulos, Fytanidis

One thing I'd like to add to my last post--we do need to get rid of Nikopolidis; that is for certain. I doubt bringing in a new goalkeepr will really screw us over, but bringing in 4 or 5 new players and new coach will sabotage us.

Ninis, Tziolis, Spyropoulos, Lagos, Mantzios, Avraam Papadopoulos, Arabatzis, Illiadis, Pappas, Kiliaras,Xristodoulopoulos , Papastathopoulos, Fytanidis

Okay, Ninis and Tziolis fine. But the rest are jokes on the international level. Rehhagel has used Lagos and Papadopoulos in the past and they proved useless. Papadopoulos has been capped 19 times, and all he could produce was 2 goals. Give me a break man. We need players with international experience.

If we don't qualify this year, we have nothing to lose, by all means. All I'm saying is that we wait. Do you honestly think that if Rehhagel brings in these players there will be a real difference than the previous decades. Progress is made very slowly, it doesn't happen over night. We can't expect to win every game. Just remember in the past, we never qualified and were always at or near last in the group. In Euro 80 we qualified and only managed a single 0-0 tie!

And I am living in reality, the reality is that we are mediocre soccer country; we have potential but it is still limited. Lets not get ahead of ourselves.

when it comes to the good of greek football...you must keep the people that have perpetuated the misery, away from the side.

in other words, no greeks. there are no quality greek managers...since when has greece ever been a football academy where greek coaches and managers are wanted in other nations? never, and cyprus with anastasiadi - does not count.

anyways, maybe in 7 to 10 years, you can hire a greek who played in a foreign league, with a coaching certificate. hopefully, that ex-player will have been schooled and learned from that nation's football pedigree (germany-england-france-holland).

akoma sth poumavia, pou dev exouv va fave...they produce players and coaches me to tsoubali.

greece has no such person at this moment.

i think ouzounidi was managing a B side, perhaps, he would be an option at the u-21 level. i know ouzounidi spent 3-4 years in france, and i'm sure he saw more in those 3-4 years than anyone can see in 20 years in the greek league, as far as learning how to develope players.

In certain points i think this is a great point, in others I disagree.

There are some talented Greek managers but their inexperience, or mentality lets them down. Donis will be a good manager one day but isn't ready yet, same goes for Savas Kofidis. Only Anastasiadis has good credentials. He's doing well with Cyprus and he generally has a very good understanding of the game. He's also one who love "unity" in the team which is always a good thing. My first choices would be Topalidis or Bajevic because they have the best credentials imo. However I agree with you that ideally we'd need a foreign coach, so how about a foreign coach with someone like Topalidis or Zagorakis as assistant. They'd advise him about the best players until he learns the league for himself, and he could apply his coaching and tactics.

One thing I def disagree about though is Ouzounidis, sorry file he's a crap manager and would ruin our youth! I think we should look towards a Brazilian coach for the elpides and I dont just mean managers, but general coaching staff. That's what Turkey did and produced some young paihtaraes like Metin and Tungay. The point is we have to change the philosophy of our youth players.

Okay, Ninis and Tziolis fine. But the rest are jokes on the international level. Rehhagel has used Lagos and Papadopoulos in the past and they proved useless. Papadopoulos has been capped 19 times, and all he could produce was 2 goals. Give me a break man. We need players with international experience.

If we don't qualify this year, we have nothing to lose, by all means. All I'm saying is that we wait. Do you honestly think that if Rehhagel brings in these players there will be a real difference than the previous decades. Progress is made very slowly, it doesn't happen over night. We can't expect to win every game. Just remember in the past, we never qualified and were always at or near last in the group. In Euro 80 we qualified and only managed a single 0-0 tie!

And I am living in reality, the reality is that we are mediocre soccer country; we have potential but it is still limited. Lets not get ahead of ourselves.

Avraam Papadopoulos is a defender at Aris, not the PAO striker.

my mistake, I was thinking of Dimitri Papadopoulos :whistle:

Anyway, my position remains the same. Avraam Papadopoulos is young and plays for a mediocre Greek side (even though they are superleague). Not to say that we shouldn't give him, and others, a chance, but wait when it is less critical, or at least integrate him slowly into our defense. I am advocating change, just not a total overhaul like almost everyone on these boards are saying.

the only person who is useless and a joke is OTTO REHHAGEL

why does greece lack depth at left back when we have georgeas and darlas also? they arent really any shitter than fyssas is and they have never got a chance and know the ethniki is suffering from lack of options

why does he ignore tavlaridis, zikos and why did he ignore georgatos pre 2006? we needed zikos for depth at DM to pressure other players or to come in when others are injured and what about georgatos for left back or left mid, 2 spots that we desperately needed depth

why does he not give someone else a chance in goal? i mean i know we dont have much depth there but if niko got injured (OOOOO ID LOVE THAT!!!!!!!!!) than what?

what about charisteas, why does he always play him when we have gekas, samaras, amanatidis and salpigidis? thats 4 strikers who are better and deserve a chance at least

and on top of all that the tactics that we play is a disgrace...........do you guys know that rehhagel is known as an offensive minded manager in germany? but with greece its not like that for some strange reason. personly i think its cos he lacks confidence in most of greeces players, i know that they arent the best in the world but this is still bull crap. the way otto managers the team brings the teams moral down if u ask me

the bottom line is that otto got us into this positon and he has to pay the price, regardless of what happened in 2004. the sooner he leaves the sooner greece can repair the damage and start building a younger and hungry team to defend their title in 2008

and if any1 thinks we dont have younger talent your very wrong, its otto's fault that people would think that

why does greece lack depth at left back when we have georgeas and darlas also? they arent really any shitter than fyssas is and they have never got a chance and know the ethniki is suffering from lack of options

why does he ignore tavlaridis, zikos and why did he ignore georgatos pre 2006? we needed zikos for depth at DM to pressure other players or to come in when others are injured and what about georgatos for left back or left mid, 2 spots that we desperately needed depth

why does he not give someone else a chance in goal? i mean i know we dont have much depth there but if niko got injured (OOOOO ID LOVE THAT!!!!!!!!!) than what?

what about charisteas, why does he always play him when we have gekas, samaras, amanatidis and salpigidis? thats 4 strikers who are better and deserve a chance at least

and on top of all that the tactics that we play is a disgrace...........do you guys know that rehhagel is known as an offensive minded manager in germany? but with greece its not like that for some strange reason. personly i think its cos he lacks confidence in most of greeces players, i know that they arent the best in the world but this is still bull crap. the way otto managers the team brings the teams moral down if u ask me

the bottom line is that otto got us into this positon and he has to pay the price, regardless of what happened in 2004. the sooner he leaves the sooner greece can repair the damage and start building a younger and hungry team to defend their title in 2008

and if any1 thinks we dont have younger talent your very wrong, its otto's fault that people would think that

I don't have a problem with Tavlaridis, but why Zikos (he is an old man)? That would be replacing one mistake with another. I'm surprised nobody even mentions Vyntra; he is at least young and has been tested!

Anyway, I just want to say I agree with you. Otto is to blame for the poor choice of players and lack of change. I am merely suggesting that now is not the time to make these changes all at once. New players must be introduced gradually (this should have been started a long time ago, but there is nothing we can do about that now). I've heard some people making even the most ridiculous suggestions; such as taking out Giannakopoulos, Karagounis, or even Katsouranis, Samaras, etc. (i.e. the few Greek players with talent). The problem is that they have to play most of the game up front as well since our strikers (except Samaras) absolutely suck; God forbid they keep control of the ball longer than 5 seconds.

As for Charisteas, I am as perplexed as you are; other than a penalty with Bosnia, he hasn't scored since Portugal (via a set piece)! He is slow, innaccurate, can't keep possesion. He should have been gone a long time ago. But in all fairness, Rehhagel has played a number of strikers in his place...Gekas, Amanatidis, Papadopoulos, Lymberopoulos, and none have really produced (the only 2 of these who have are Pap. with 2 goals and Lymberopoulos with like 15 since 1998). Poor Amanatidis, even playing a full game, consistently finds only the post, as does Gekas. But at least they try, Charisteas just runs around a lot, and when he gets the ball he loses it almost immediately.

Basinas should go too; except for his long ball and corners he is another useless one.

Fyssas - out!

Nikopolidis - OUT! Sad to say, I have a feeling Otto will start him Wednesday. LIke everyone else, I think he should be replaced immediately! This change should have priority over any others...but who? I don't care what anyone says, I say give Chalkias a chance! I was impressed with his dive during Korea; at least he tried. Niko just sits in the same spot as if he has telekinetic powers and can change the balls direction by just staring at it!

:LOL: papastathopoulos...pa pa pa, onoma siderodromos! How would they even fit that on the jersey?

papa-

stath-

opou-

los (maybe?)

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

maybe he will do it the "Van Bronckhorst style" > Gio

"Papasthathopoulos" > Mano :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

At the airport leaving for Malta; look who it is on the left, o Goumas, we're screwed... :(

Posted Image

Here is our good buddy Avtoni...I hope they have "Goalkeeping For Dummies" on the plane.

Posted Image

WOW I feel so sorry for Nikopolidis. He looks terrible, like he hasnt slept since the match. I'm still (literally) having nightmares about the game so imagine how he must feel knowing that he is at fault! Poor dude. :( If he is picked versus Malta I hope he has a blinder! :gr:

I think you will all find this funny. I stumbled on a German football forum from July 4, 2004, the day we beat Portugal in Euro2004. The forum is titled "Otto Rehhagel Should Be New DFB Boss." Here is a quote from one of the German respondents:

Fräulein9604 Jul 2004, 10:00 AM

Why oh why?

Does nobody remember the problems he had at Bayern?

He certainly won't give the youth a chance!

:LOL:

Archived