Phantis Forums

Vasilis Tsiartas retires

Cerigo

One of AEK's best ever players, Vasilis Tsiartas, has just announced his retirement. See the article at http://sports.e-go.gr/article.asp?catid=83...=2&pubid=442368. I know he had a lot of detractors but for me he was pure class with a magic left foot. I remember his first goal against Real Madrid some years ago in a Champions League game in Athens when he had to take a free kick again. The first one hit the post but the second one was deadly accurate! I also remember he saved AEK's bacon at Hibernian a few years back. And most importantly he delivered that magnificent free kick in the Greece-Spain game at Euro 2004 which led to the equaliser and who can forget that memorable corner where he delivered the ball inch perfect for Dellas to glance in in the semi-final against the Czech Republic. Tsiartas was truly one of the greats.

I agree with both posts; an arsehole of a human being and a big mouth, but arguably one of the best marksmen of the game, let alone of the Greek league. He was better than Beckham in his prime but wasn't nearly as much of a pretty boy.

Don't forget that goalara he scored against the Ukraine in the 81st minute in WC qualifying. Easily one of his best.

One of the most talented players I have seen who, somehow, left me with an impression that there could have been so much more to his career.

PS. He was instrumental in our NT winning the game in Belfast for the Euro 2004 qualifiers with that long ball that totally handcuffed Maik Taylor.

great player, unfortuante end to his career...it was downhill once he badmouthed otto in my opinion..if he had kept up i feel like he would not be retiring quite yet but it seems as tho his attitude got to him at the end...

his marksmanship will be missed

UEFA.COM WEBSITE

Tsiartas signs off with pride

Wednesday, 14 February 2007

e-mailPrint

UEFA EURO 2004™-winning Greece midfielder Vassilios Tsiartas has announced his retirement from professional football at the age of 34.

Greek glory

Capped 70 times after making his debut in April 1994, he scored 12 international goals and set up vital goals against Spain and the Czech Republic in Portugal en route to Greece's 1-0 final victory against the hosts three summers ago. "I retire with my head held high," Tsiartas said. "I knew my time would come. I could have done more with my career, but I am not bitter. My fondest memory is undoubtedly winning EURO 2004™. The recognition and the warmth of people's memories for those days are the sweetest gifts a player can have."

Club career

Having started his career at Naousa FC, Tsiartas made his name following a summer 1992 move to AEK Athens FC, winning league titles in 1993 and 1994 and the 1996 Greek Cup. He then spent four successful seasons at Sevilla FC before returning to AEK in 2000 and lifting a second Greek Cup in 2002. He left for 1. FC Köln in 2004, but started just four games in Germany before announcing his retirement. Tsiartas resurfaced at second division Ethnikos Piraeus FC this term before calling it quits for good today.

A truely grifted player

That Real goal was so sweat - especially after "teasing" Casillas with the first kick - when on he added so much confidence to the team he was on -

I cnat beleive he's only 34 - he aged poorly

Anyway thanks for the sweet memories :gr:

Archived