PSV

Futebol Clube do Porto

Olympique de Marseille

Paris Saint-Germain

Arsenal FC

Bayer 04 Leverkusen

Olympique Lyonnais

Valencia CF

These are the members of G14 and supposedly the biggest clubs in Europe by which ever criteria they say.

According to world football magazine Chelsea, Newcastle, OSFP and pao are also being sent invitations to join

http://www.g14.com/intro.htm

What do we think about this? Do we want Osfp to join. I dont know much about this except that a few years back these clubs tried to abandon their domestic leagues and start up their own elite league and so Uefa comprosmised with the champions league.

I think they are against international football which I dont like; international football is the best kind of football. I dont really like the elitism involved either. I get the feeling that Osfp and pao would be taken advantage of by the 'big' clubs

What do we think?

I agree with you. I don't like this elitism either but it would be stupid not to accept the invitation from the moment you want to be counted with the big boys. I would hate a closed league as it would not be good for football as a whole. It was once said that if they did form their own league, UEFA would ban all their players from playing for their countries and everyone knows the amount of money that is generated in EC's and WC's. It's why G-14 asked to get compensated for their clubs players playing for their NT's.

I don't think they'll form a league for the time being but they are used as a negotiating tool and a threaten UEFA to get what they want. Fener and Galatasary also deserve be be in there as do Rangers and Celtic.

an important factor is those clubs have no financial problems as out don't but from what i know Gala do as opposed to Fener who have money to burn.

surely there would be some benefits for osfp and pao to join. but i dont like this either. if this goes on i might happen that football will soon be ruled by some rich clubs and the national teams and smaller league teams wont have to say anything at all anymore.

of course its great to see the 2 great Greek clubs to be recognized here

but i do agree with the rest of u that this would end domestic soccer as we know it

but i can see why this is being thought off

i mean Europe is a continent with many countries and alot of European countries carry tremendous history

many European countries these days do u have a common currency the Euro dollar and this idea maybe might work in say like 25 - 50 years as the European Union gets stronger and forms something like a United States.

of course this is my theory but i really can't never see this happenning

but u never know

RE AMA O PANATHINAIKOS PAEI STO TZI-14 THAT PESEI STIN B' ETHNIKI. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAH!!!!!! POU PATE RE STO TZI-14, EHETE MAZEPSI TIN SARA KAI TIN MARA. ME GOUMADES KAI BASINADES THEN PATE POUTHENA. THRILE OLE!!!!!

kai o frinos pou 8a paizei vre;;; poia htan h teleutaia fora pou perasate apo th proth fash; Me to katsiki kai th kota eseis den pate pou8ena.....

RE AMA O PANATHINAIKOS PAEI STO TZI-14 THAT PESEI STIN B' ETHNIKI. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAH!!!!!!  POU PATE RE STO TZI-14, EHETE MAZEPSI TIN SARA KAI TIN MARA. ME GOUMADES KAI BASINADES THEN PATE POUTHENA. THRILE OLE!!!!!

3-1 League and Cup champions. Ti allo exeis na peis :)

Guest Protathlitis

save it for one topic at least boys. I hate pao but both of us deserve this invite over many of the teams who are already member

ne re. de mou les??? kathe fora pou tha nikate pehnidi sto tzi-14 that vazete kai kenourio asteraki stin fanela sas? ana hathite re

kala kai eseis 8a vazete ena asteraki gia ka8e poutsa pou fagate sthn europh........kai meta 8a sou poun oloi USA me ola ta asterakia sas! :P

Fener and Galatasaray also deserve be be in there as do Rangers and Celtic.

Actually in 2001, Galatasaray was invited to join G-14 but the invitation was immediately rejected because our-then Chairman Mehmet Cansun believed that such a grouping of teams would harm both domestic and European Football. I have to say that I agree with our ex-president. I mean, let's say PAO, OSFP, Fener, Galatasaray, Celtic, Rangers, D. Kiev, Shakhtar, Spartak Moscow, CSKA Moscow, Partizan Beograd, RSCA, FC Bruges... All these teams are very close to each other. Perhaps not in monetary terms but when you look at their rosters and youth academies, you may sense little differences. The thing is that if PAO gets into this competition, what will a D. Kiev fan think? Or if RSCA joins what will a Celtic fan reckon?

I see G-14 as a league of clubs trying to make a EUROLEAGUE, probably similar to that of NBA or NHL stuff in United States, so avoid it! For the good of the game...

Well said Turk, this thing is so anti-European. Mc Donaldisation of the world is coming and I hate it. It's not the European way at all. In Europe we like the small guy to have a chance at glory. Let's hope this League never comes into effect.

It exists in basketball and it's not that good since only a selcted number of teams can participate in the competition whilst most have guaranteed contracts no matter where they finish in the league (i.e Olympiakos 8th last year) and you can see their shambles in Europe this year with a 2-9 record (joint worst record with Partizan)

OK GUYS WEVE HEARD ALL THESE ARGUMENTS ABOUT OUR TEAMs

well said.

i agree 100% with evergreen and the turk. i dont care if small teams in the A ethniki just wont be as good as the big 3, but theres still a lot of tradition and history in these leagues that they should stay preserved. I think that the current setup- domestic mixed with Champions league is the best possible setup there is......its challenging, entertaining.....go away g14 !

also it would shambolicly disgust me. let's say they make a league of 20 and I wil hate to see my team finish between 10th-20th spots... It would actually be guaranteed! and as evergreen said, look at Euroleague... 16 of 24 teams have guaranteed contracts with the League and never change... That's STUPID!!!

most probably they dont even care if osfp and pao would enrich the g-14. the same with the other big small clubs. they just want to have them on their side so they are supported from teams out of nearly every league in europe. like this they could put a lot of pressure on the uefa and fifa.

i really hope things stay as they are.

(except us getting kicked out every year after the first cl round ;) )

also it would shambolicly disgust me. let's say they make a league of 20 and I wil hate to see my team finish between 10th-20th spots... It would actually be guaranteed! and as evergreen said, look at Euroleague... 16 of 24 teams have guaranteed contracts with the League and never change... That's STUPID!!!

!!!!!! thats why!?? i didnt know they were contracted. that is bullshit. :tdown:

thats why pao wasnt playing there in the first two seasons the euroleague went on. the didnt want to leave the fiba in the beginning because they thought the euroleague wouldnt be strong enough to compete against the fiba competition.

and be honest: would you have thougth osfp would become that bad after some years? i didnt. but i was proven wrong.

but this would fit better in the basketball forum.

Guest Protathlitis

How far back do you wanna go?  The 4-0 in the cup final 1986 do you remember that?

I dont think you want to argue who has been superior when our two clubs have met:

Number of matches: 111

WIN Olympiakos Piraeus: 40 (Home : 27, Away : 13)

WIN Panathinaikos: 30 (Home : 20, Away : 10)

Draws: 41

you should stick to your european arguments and turin game jabs and we'll stick to our old trafford 5s etc.

ps. I got these lovely stats from some pao fan site :P

Archived