Phantis Forums

Turkiyeye Gidiyorum!

ok turkish grammar not good but who cares - just sharing to my turkish friends that i am going back to Turkey for a course-travel in March!

however its doubtful i will be in town for GS game- or any match for that matter <_<

but I will go to Efes, Pergamon, Smyrna (Izmir), Kas (???) and the city of course :tup:

if anyone has good information for night,clubs/partying please let me know particularly Smyrna and Istanbul....I know FenerSK said Smyrna was famous for girls... B)

I hope "tamam mi guzelim---ben yunanli, " is a good pickup line there :LOL: :LOL:

if not please let me know some :D

also how are they about greeks in Smyrna? are they friendly or are they still bitter to us from what they did? (honest question)

its a long talk in this forum ...

Greeks call places with their Greek names and Turks with the Turkish names ...

and in this GREEK forum as long as people respect eachother the names of cities mean a lot to people and are to be respected both ways as well...

Dont open this discussion here ... It is Izmir and it is Smyrni ... End of Story.

There is not a place named Symrna in Turkey.it is İzmir

Smyrna is actually what 'Izmir' is called in English. Izmir is recently used, but ive only heard of Smyrna until a few years ago, so deal with it. If I say it in Greek its Smyrni, in English its Smyrna, and in Turkish its Izmir.

Im just surprised nobody knows or willing to share any recommendations...

We really are two very different peoples...

mate, I was unavailable for a long long long time so I couldn't respond..

Izmir is a good place, a very hot climate in summer and a warm rainy climate in winter and spring. you can find some great niteclubs in and around Konak (very close to the famous Corniche) and you can also visit some churches and bazaars in downtown. In Alaybey and Bostanli, which are at the other side and are closely linked to Karsiyaka, you can find lots of beautiful cafes and patisserie restaurants. But you'd still be better off if you ask someone who really knows Izmir. I can only provide you and overview.

Ephesus (Efes) is a great place to see.. but be aware of the "kazikci"s who are just there to pick tourists' money for some silly services (a bottle of water > 3,5 YTL..etc). The House of Mary (Meryem Ana Evi) is also a very nice place, not only for touristic reasons but also for its religious and spiritual connections, especially for Christians.

I have to admit I don't know anything about Kas, though one of my close friends want to open up a pub there.. ;)

I can offer you a few more places.. Arsuz, Antakya / Degirmendere, Kocaeli / Kefken, Kocaeli / Erdek, Balikesir.. ;)

thanks gs1905 :D

i know i was getting impatient...even though i have till march my trip :la:

Im sure there are people taking advantage of tourists...but im very experienced traveler for my age and i just look at them and laugh or dont even bother bartering...i take it as a personal insult when they ask for a price easily 5 times its real value...

uc lira ben iciyorum denizli su! :LOL: :LOL:

O Ellinas milai Turkika! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

dude i was dtown in Omonoia bus stop this summer and heard two old ladies having a full conversation in Turkish....and they were definitly locals and definitly Christians....i assumed must have been karamanlides....so yes some greeks can speak turkish

as for me i have no asia minor roots, i try to learn turkish, its nice to know some basic (even though im no good gramatically, people still udnerstand your general direction) language before you go to a different country...also it was my interest to develop conversational turkish (im still far off) so that i could understand more about them, their opinions on us, their culture etc..i think its a pretty cool language too although its a bit difficult.

@2ndmouse

i understand your point but i dont think those words are really that common in greek..ok my greek isnt as good as my english despite spending a good portion of youth in Greece but id like to say that at least in the language my family spoke or of what i heard in common life/whatever - i never heard of many Hellenized Turkish words like or "ntounias (dunya)" "kardasi (kardash)" ever used until i started becoming a big fan of rempetika music.. :tup:

basically what im implying is that most of those turkish words are maybe is more of your dialect from anatolia being such close neighbors???

Yeah..

lets go back to sport now and if you want, open a glossological topic in the Community forum

I was trying to show how stupid that comment sounded ...

And if all nationalities in the Globe know how many Greek word they use they would be shocked.... ;)

i know this...but its a conversation and i think some people need to relax about conversations straying for the topic. Conversation is conversation, when was the last time you had dinner and could only stick to one topic of conversation...its not human nature were not squares....so no harm in responding or molding the topic some, thats life.

This topic is just aimed for turkish members about places things to do and say in turkey for when i go....sorry its not about sports but theres no other way except mass PMs which are a nuisance...so please let it stay open its not hurting anything...

Welcome funny guy...

Ki allos kosmos ston Ntounia milaei Tourkika Kardasi mou ...

alla thelei kai ligo wrimotita gia na mporesei kaneis na syzitisei me antrwpous pou exoun MONO afairetiki nootropia ...

Mouse, I wasn't trying to insult Drakos in his new found love of speaking Turkish. I've visited Greece many times, I swear I never hear Greeks speak Turkish anywhere I go. It just seems funny to me when a Greek is speaking that "strange" language. Hey, Svenska is a "strange" language as well. I'm trying to adjust to that language since I live in Sweden for 2 years.

Mouse, I wasn't trying to insult Drakos in his new found love of speaking Turkish.

thats a bit extreme... i just like travel, culture and languages...

Ta Synora Tis Agapis and Bitorrent Rosetta Stone certainly helps out for Turkish B)

but i know what you mean.....its kinda strange seeing greeks speak swedish or greeks speak german....or for me, absolute funniest thing in world is greeks speaking with australian accent :LOL: (sorry guys, cant help it) it just seems so out of place...I saw it the first time in Athens 2004.....some of them spoke greek with australian accents too which made it more fun....But of course maybe they find it wierd seeing Greeks speak english with american accent and there are greeks in USA that have a horrible accent and its just embarassing to hear...

Guest Protathlitis7

When I was in turkey the only thing i could understand was what i could order to eat.

kofte = keftedes

fasulye = fasolia

etc etc etc

Guest Protathlitis7

There is not a place named Symrna in Turkey.it is İzmir

get over it for F*** sakes. your ancestors used the Greek word which we still use today to form the turkish word (H smyrni = Izmir)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived