Phantis Forums

Is Scotland for real?

My Scottish friend says he is very excited on the future of Scottish football and says they have many promising young players and a great new coach. Just yesterday they beat France 1-0 (in Scotland). Is Scotland for real, are they going to become a small superpower, or was this just one good result and nothing more?

I have to hope the Scots never have a better team than Greece or else my friend might get the last laugh if our teams play each other :(

we will know after they play ukraine and italy..

but i must say i watched the scotland vs france game...

scotland reminded me of greece in euro

I all about a "minow" doing damage to the big names of soccer and Scotland did just that just like Greece did in the Euro.....

It's great to see how the Norther Irish, The Scotish the Macedonian and other teams are giving these big nations a run for their money...

Well done and keep up the great play.

:tup: :tup: :tup: :tup:

you mean FYR of "Macedonia" :tdown:

The English had problems with the Bugarsky last year too, they tied 2-2 I think...England still doenst have much to worry about.

Scotland got a good result..nice job. Also N.Ireland are making some big progress too lately...

For the first time in many years the fans are behind the team and the coach. The appointment of Bertie Vogts was a disaster, and saw the team selection and spirit sink into confusion. Without having any world class star names (or egos let's say), Walter Smith has identified his strongest and most compatible squad of players and introduced a system of play that they are all capable of carrying out effectively. Nothing too adventurous, but when has playing to your strengths been a crime.

Sound familiar?

On Wednesday Scotland take on Ukraine in Kiev, a side you will know well from the World Cup qualifiers. While Scotland can't afford to get carried away, it makes a real change to have any level of optimism goin into such a tie. 9 points from 3 games would have been unthinkable even 6 months ago, so anything else must still be seen as a bonus ................ for now!!

the lovely thing in this group would be qualification for Scotland and Ukraine and elimination for world-wide losers Italy and France.. I hope that's not too wishful and I know there are lots of Italy-lovers around, so may be it's dangerous to say so.. :LOL:

It wasn't to be 4 wins from 4 matches. There could be no complaints about the result of a match, where Ukraine were by far the better side and completely dominated throughout.

The game followed a very similar pattern to the France game, where Scotland battled to keep the ball out for the entire first half with very little pressure applied to the Ukraine defence. The second half saw Scotland have mere possession, but still had a lot of luck where Shevchenko struck the post and headed wide from directly infront of goal.

The inevitable goal came after an hour after Scotland failed to clear the ball twice and Kucher scored from about 10 metres.

Scotland had a couple of chances at 1-0, Miller hitting the bar from a cross/shot and heading wide unchalleged from 8 metres.

Pressley was sent off for a supposed last man challenge on Shevchenko, leaving the Scots an impossible task. Shevchenko was again judged to be fouled in the last minute winning a penalty, which he easily converted.

A comfortable victory for Ukraine, so no complaints despite a couple of harsh decisions. Even a draw would have been a case of daylight robbery in Kiev. But 9 points from 12 is still a lot better than expected.

Archived