Phantis Forums

Zisis elbow "bad luck"

Anderson calls elbow to Zisis 'bad luck'

Posted Image

CLEVELAND (FIBA World Championship) - Brazil's Anderson Varejao was devastated by the elbowing incident which knocked Greece guard Nikos Zisis out of the FIBA World Championship.

In the Group C battle at Hamamatsu, Anderson's elbow left Zisis with broken bones in his face and needing surgery.

Greece continued to win without their explosive scorer, even beating Team USA in the semi-finals, but eventually fell to Spain in the gold medal game.

"I was upset about it," Anderson said to the Akron Beacon Journal.

"It happened when we were down 17 points and trying to make steals to get back into the game.

"I've never done anything like this in my life.

"I went for the ball and he was hit with my elbow. It was bad luck for him. I feel bad for him."

(This was bad luck?: http://youtube.com/watch?v=rg_ktTJvxYY)

The incident infuriated Zisis' team-mates and Greek basketball fans.

"I understand why he (Zisis) was mad," Anderson said.

"I tried to tell him this after the game. But I want all that to be in the past now."

Brazil's lone victory in Japan came against Qatar so they went home early.

Even worse for Anderson was the fatigue in his legs which limited his effectiveness.

"This has been a disappointing summer; it is something I am really trying to put in the past," Anderson said.

"I want to forget it."

Anderson, who is preparing for this season with the Cleveland Cavaliers, is expected to represent Brazil next summer when they play at the FIBA Americas Championship and attempt to qualify for the Beijing Olympics.

Archived