Phantis Forums

Basketball - Men - Schedule

Ziaka

Here is the 2004 Olympic Games Mens basketball schedule. The preliminary games in the groups will be played at the Elliniko Stadium (15,600 capacity), while the quarterfinal, semifinal, and final will be played at the OAKA Stadium (19,200).

15/8/2004

09:00-10:45

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...

I don't know about you guys buit I seriously have my doubts about the greek national team in basketball.

I love to see them get a medal but I doubt it. Let's just say Basketball is a dead sport not only in greece but worldwide.

You are very wrong about the PAOKG4.

Ticket sales rose again this year in the Euroleague and in European cups. In Sweden last year in the Euro ever game was packed out.

Interest has only fallen in Greece but all of Greece's games are sold out for the Olympics already.

I dont think saying basketball is a "dead" sport is justified, it is still very strong in some countires.

If you ask me the medals or placings will go something like this

1. United State :tdown:

2. Australia :D

3. Canada :)

4. Greece :D

5. Possibly New Zealand :)

I dont think saying basketball is a "dead" sport is justified, it is still very strong in some countires.

:o

You really think that the medals will go that way?

Man, you don't know your basketball.

Canada? The Toronto Raptors use american players. Who is canadian and how good are they?

Evergreen: Of course the tickets are going to sold out. For starters it's played in Greece and if the Greeks don't go and support the national team now they never will.

As I said I don't think Greece will finish in the top three and as a Greek I'd like to see Greece up there but I don't think they have the team to do it.

Basketball is a dead sport in Greece. I was in Greece 2 years ago and in the cafeterias all they talk about is Champions League, Pame Stoihima and the Greek Soccer League. I never heard anybody talking about Basketball.

Another thing einai dunaton na paizi se kathe omada 10-15 ksenous kai na min dinoun efkeria stous ellines paiktes. Gia afto ta gipeda einai adiana.

REMEMBER SOCCER IS KINGS SPORT.

Don't be suprised if Serbia takes out the gold medal as they did in the world championships.

• 2 months later...

giannakis may have put on a disgraceful display tonight vs Itay- he is a shitty coach-

medals yeah probably the USA will win

u have no clue about international baskeball...

what are you smoking to suggest Australia and Canada???????????????

New Zealand?????????????????????????????????????????????

Greece even with Giannakis would annialate those teams.

the dangerous teams are USA, Greece, Serbia & Montenegro, and Lithuania.

As for basketball being dead----- its not dead- but i just dont remember people as crazy about it like in the 90's... and i never see euroleague games on tv or ever see them scheduled for tv...whats up with that?

Canada didn't qualify for the Olympics. They fell one game short. Jamal Magloire stiffed us for the qualifying, Todd McCollouch was injured, and Steve Nash wasn't able to do it all by himself.

Canada didn't do too bad in Sydney, however. They defeated Serbia in the group stage to finish 1st and were defeated by France in the quarterfinals in a game they should have won (in my opinion at least! ;) )

in the Acropolis Cup down in Glyfada the team prepared for the games

Greece beat Brazil by little over 40 points

lost to Italy by 1 point - :angry: some awful coaching this game......

beat Lithuania (european champions) by 1 point - also some poor coaching....

in my opinion- Giannakis sucks. At times during the Lithuania match it was just embarassing how many tapes happened on our shots in the center- the lithuanians are way bigger than us- we need Sxortsianidis cuz he can play physical, and Retzias and Tsakalidis would help us alot.........

we are definitly medal contenders- especially with the home atmosphere.

I too think that Giannakis sucks as a coach... But the worst of all is Kakiousis!!!! Not only he is a crap coach but he was a crap player as well!!! At least Giannakis knew how to play basketball... This guy is absolutely useless....

The problem is the roster picked from those 2 idiots... Just because Giannakis coached Maroussi, he decided to leave out Sigalas and Hatzis, and to take Zisis and the other useless guard (can't remember his name)... The outcome is of course that we haven't got a good markman like Sigalas....

The only good thing is that the biggest kreas (Tsoukalidis) is not going to be in the squad... This is great news... I hate the guy! :box:

Sigalas i dont think was that big a loss... i mean how old is he now? i havent really seen him play lately so who knows....

also i forget the name of one of Giannakis's Maroussi boys i think he was a guard but he was fantastic...

Tsakalidis isnt that great but his height and strength is very useful. It was embarassing when Greece played Lithuania and in the center there players were getting tossed around and getting tapes on them all the time. This is why i think its good to bring in the Melachrinos too... (sxortsianidi) just use him to rebound and block and have him pass it out....im sure he could do ok.

also im confused now Kakiousis... hes a player no?

as for the dream team.....kala...i knew the arrogance was going to be the weakness of this team. And you may say oh they never do it again but thats really possible....Greece if in form and Giannakis isnt stupid that day (small chance) will punish them, i mean a halfass greek team beat lithuania.... This team (USA) assembled weeks before the tournament. Thats insulting to how little they take this tournament seriously, even when now europeans are starting to dominate more in the NBA. Bravo Italia but i hate your basket team....

Americans as always will bring on their useless NBA charlatans and they will get raped once again!!! What do Americans know about basketball anyway? They think that basketball is about dunks and fancy loops but when they face a zone defence they will be looking at each other like idiots!!!

Shortsianiti is the biggest katsiki in Greek basketball!! He is even worse than Tsakalidis! As far as Sigalas we very time comment on his age but in every instance he is our best player! Remember last Euro we used to critisise him but he was the only one who performed... I think Giannakis is an idiot and along with that other useless Kakioussis who hasn't got a clue about basketball will need a lot of luck to get through.. If only Giannakis looked at our good players rather than picking up his Maroussi Lamoia!!!

umm pappou...

i also hate the NBA players but lets be honest- if they took it seriously and prepared all year they would have blasted italy....they have the best talent in the world, yeah they arrange the games for entertainment- but when you can still shoot like that and get all the rebound etc.... I hope they lose because they got together for the first time WEEKS ago. Its pretty insulting and arrogant and they have to learn a thing or two...

also some of the Maroussi players are good pappou, i was really impressed by this one kid.... but as far as shaqortsianitis - he may be lousy but hes bigger then everyone and you dont need much skill to be bigger and get rebounds . use him as a tacitcal player when some power is needed....also why the USA wins all the time because they have all the black guys who are taller and bigger and they have some talent. it doesnt matter how good your passing is - when you miss a shot your not going to get many second chances unless you have that power in the middle.

i disagree with giannakis and his stupidity but i still think we can pull off a good tournament because we have our home atmosphere and the players can play at the same level as all the other conetenders (Italy- lithuania-serbia- now the USA it looks possible) even when theyre playing bad- which is a good thing.

Basketball is not about being big my friend Drakos... Don't forget that the best players of the sport ever, were all thin and most of all great technique (Radja, Kukoc, Bodiroga, Petrovic, Jordan...)

American players have none of the skills needed to play basketball. Its just that tehy are black and that they can jump much higher than the white men... As far as BASKETBALL skilss are concerned if you exclude Jordan and Magic all the others haven't got a clue of the sport!!! Unless you believe Shack or Karl Malone are basketball players. Malone used to be a truck driver and they got him playing! Or what about Mourning, and all the other crappy players!!! What about Tyron Bogges (1,57 tall).... NBA is simply a parade to amuse Americans and have nothing to do with Basketball... These people do not know how to defend (besides zone defense is unknown to them), they don't know how to control a game, how to stop a fast break etc etc. Its all about dunks and run & gun.... I am telling you European basketball is at much higher level than this clowns... They will get raped in Athens, and I will personally boo them during their intire match against Puerto Ricko (I will be there!!!)....

P.S. Even the unbeatable dream team 1, would have lost by croatia in Barcelona 1992 if it was a full Yugoslavian team... At that game Croatia was leading towards the end of the first half but then the American coach substituted 5 players by putting in 5 new fresh players. In contrast Croatia had 5 classy players (Radja, Kukoc, Petrovic, Vrankovic, Komazec) but they had no support from their bench. Imagine if they had Divac, Paspalj, Danilovic, Djordjevic what would have happened.....

As far as Yanakkis is concerned lets hope you are right, but I think that Maroussi players suck big time compared to Sigalas and Hatzis!!!! :tdown:

Basketball is not about being big my friend Drakos... Don't forget that the best players of the sport ever, were all thin and most of all great technique (Radja, Kukoc, Bodiroga, Petrovic, Jordan...)

American players have none of the skills needed to play basketball. Its just that tehy are black and that they can jump much higher than the white men... As far as BASKETBALL skilss are concerned if you exclude Jordan and Magic all the others haven't got a clue of the sport!!! Unless you believe Shack or Karl Malone are basketball players. Malone used to be a truck driver and they got him playing! Or what about Mourning, and all the other crappy players!!! What about Tyron Bogges (1,57 tall).... NBA is simply a parade to amuse Americans and have nothing to do with Basketball... These people do not know how to defend (besides zone defense is unknown to them), they don't know how to control a game, how to stop a fast break etc etc. Its all about dunks and run & gun.... I am telling you European basketball is at much higher level than this clowns... They will get raped in Athens, and I will personally boo them during their intire match against Puerto Ricko (I will be there!!!)....

P.S. Even the unbeatable dream team 1, would have lost by croatia in Barcelona 1992 if it was a full Yugoslavian team... At that game Croatia was leading towards the end of the first half but then the American coach substituted 5 players by putting in 5 new fresh players. In contrast Croatia had 5 classy players (Radja, Kukoc, Petrovic, Vrankovic, Komazec) but they had no support from their bench. Imagine if they had Divac, Paspalj, Danilovic, Djordjevic what would have happened.....

As far as Yanakkis is concerned lets hope you are right, but I think that Maroussi players suck big time compared to Sigalas and Hatzis!!!! :tdown:

basketball is not only about being big - but it helps a lot in the game- its just the nature of it

look Shaq is lousy and doesnt have skill. this is true- but how can you deny that he gets the rebounds, blocks the easy stupid points that win games...when you have a player like that you can control the center. a team of shaqs coundnt win a game but if you use him as the powerhouse to control the center and you get several NBA championships... Im saying greece needs some physical power to bring in at times when its needed. height is extremely important to have on a team, this is just a fact....by the way Mourning was a great player i dont know where you get that- he was getting rebounds, leading in blocks, scoring 24 points a game in his prime... thats an ideal player.

and about the greatest players ever- Bodiroga is amazing but not close to one the greatest ever- come on. Same with Kukoc.

what about wilt chamberlain? scottie Pippen? these guys were tall and good- yeah the American game is 'run and gun' and has not much technical value but these guys can shoot and play- they are lethal.

by the way i almost forgot about Paspali!!!! i remember this guy always shot very awkwardly- but when i try it always works (almost always of course :D )

what happened to this guy-did he ever go to NBA???

also the USA comfortably beat serbia tonight- not that says anything after beating germany in the last second... :lol:

i wont boo them- but i will be rooting for Ellada when the play them cuz ill be there!!! :gr:

Archived