Phantis Forums

Fanis Gekas ‒ (retired)

Ziaka

Ever since he cut off the mullet, much like the mythical Samson (or Shimshon as our Jewish cousins call him) he has lost his influence.

He needs to regrow the gouronotrixa and be the Gekas we all know and love and I'm sure he'll do great in the English Premiership.

Portsmouth are in for a relegation fight so he needs to start scoring.

Actually, I really admire him because he could have so easily taken the easy option which a lot of Greek players do and stay in Greece playing for a mediocre club earning decent money, but he took a chance and moved to Bochum and became Bundesliga top scorer.

Who would have expected the Gekas of 5 years ago when he was playing at Kallithea would have had the career he has had.

I hope he continues chasing his dream and I seriously hope he succeeds in the premiership and he goes on to score many more goals for the ethniki as well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Gekas actually came on in the 93rd minute and played all of two minutes. The Portsmouth manager, Paul Hart, is a JOKE. He has no idea. His team is struggling to score goals and in a home game against the bottom team he puts on a recognised striker with 2 minutes to go. Even the Portsmouth fans in the club's online forum have now got stuck into Hart for his abysmal treatment of Gekas and, to a lesser extent, Basinas. Gekas deserves better. Portsmouth deserves relegation.

BBC website said he came on in the 90th minute but I'll take your word for it Cerigo. Let's hope Gekas gets more playing time next Saturday against Bolton. Whatever happens, at least this move to Portsmouth was just a loan deal. I will still hold out hope that he eventually gets a bit more time as the season draws to a close. Who knows, if he can nab a goal or two, he might just garner some interest.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

scored twice today in leverkusens 3-3 friendly draw with wydad casablanca, its great that he's playing again and scoring because we're gonna need him against the swiss. funnily enough leverkusens other goal was scored by derdiyok who'll probably line up against greece for switzerland

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

(from UEFA.com)

GEKAS RACING ROONEY

His four goals in Greece's 5-2 win against Latvia moved Fanis Gekas alongside Wayne Rooney as joint top scorer in European FIFA World Cup qualifying, but the striker said afterwards that "I could have done better".

Team first

The 29-year-old helped Greece maintain their hopes of reaching South Africa as Group 2 winners after defeating opponents who went into Saturday's game level on points with their hosts. "It was a good match for me, but what matters most is not my performance," said the Bayer 04 Leverkusen marksman after the encounter in Athens. "I don't care about goals and records as long as the team wins."

Play-off target

Latvia had good reason to fear Gekas, who had scored twice for Greece in a 2-0 win in Riga 13 months earlier, but they proved powerless to stop him despite ending the first half 2-1 up. "In the dressing room at half-time, we tried to encourage one another and we vowed to do everything in our power to turn the game around and get a play-off spot for the 2010 World Cup," said Gekas, whose side will be sure of at least finishing second in their section if they beat Luxembourg on Wednesday and will qualify automatically if Switzerland also lose against Israel.

Bad morale

The Larissa native's goals in Athens were a welcome lift during a season in which he has only appeared sporadically for his club. Thus far, he has contested merely four Bundesliga matches – three as a substitute – and two more in the German Cup, coming off to bench to fire his only domestic goal of the season against 1. FC Kaiserslautern. "It's very complicated for me and bad for my morale to be on the bench all the time at Leverkusen," he said. "Not playing regular club football makes me give my all for the national team."

Impressive figures

The striker continues to be grateful to coach Otto Rehhagel for keeping faith in him despite his club situation, but that decision has been more than vindicated. Gekas has scored 13 of Greece's 22 goals since UEFA EURO 2008™, and with 19 goals in 42 international games is closing in on Nikos Anastopoulos's national record of 29. His nine Group 2 efforts, meanwhile, mean he is level with Wayne Rooney as joint top scorer in European qualifying for South Africa, and since the Manchester United FC striker will miss England's final qualifier against Belarus through injury, Gekas can make the title his own when Luxembourg come calling in midweek.

=====================================================

In terms of rumours, the Olympiakos newspapers are saying that Zico was very impressed with Gekas and wants him at Olympiakos. With the Fanis not playing much he may just be interested in a move.

Edited by Euro2004

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Argy changed the title to Fanis Gekas ‒ (free agent)
  • Dutch Eagle changed the title to Fanis Gekas ‒ (retired)
  • Dutch Eagle locked this topic