Phantis Forums

Fanis Gekas ‒ (retired)

Ziaka

FANIS GEKAS OE OE OE!!

FANIS GEKAS OE OE OE!!

HE'S ON FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leverkusen were leading Hamburg 1-0 from the first leg of the UEFA Cup (Gekas scored then). Tonight Leverkusen took the lead through Barbarez, Hamburg equalised, and Gekas pounced againt to end Hamburg's dreams!

FANIS GEKAS OE OE OE!!!!!!!!

i wouldnt be surprised if gekas gets offers from bigger clubs in the winter transfers.

this guy is in red hot form and going to lead our attack in euro..

i think salpiggidis will be a good partner in crime..

charisteas and amanatidis are an option..

then samaras

i wouldnt be surprised if gekas gets offers from bigger clubs in the winter transfers.

this guy is in red hot form and going to lead our attack in euro..

i think salpiggidis will be a good partner in crime..

charisteas and amanatidis are an option..

then samaras

for me samaras is better than charistea... :)

Following Leverkusen's 4-1 win (inc. the 2 goals from Gekas! :tup: ) & Weder Bremen's 0-1 defeat to Wolfsburg. Leverkusen are now 3rd, in a CL spot!! We may see Gekas in the CL next year where he belongs!!! Gera Leverkusen, gera!! :tup:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest TheLegend

Gekas was dropped after scoring 4 goals in 5 games and his replacement scored an own goal where bayer lost to frankfurt

bravo skibbe your coaching tactics and hatred of a good greek succesing in your country are screwing your CL chances

Gekas was dropped after scoring 4 goals in 5 games and his replacement scored an own goal where bayer lost to frankfurt

bravo skibbe your coaching tactics and hatred of a good greek succesing in your country are screwing your CL chances

It is wrong that gekas is not getting game time as he has proved his worth when he is on the park.. the fans love him..

the coach is very stupid but i dont think racism-discrimination has anything to do with it

one week, your player of the week, the next ur on the bench...does gekas have any attitude problems you think?

I doubt it. Everyone says he's a model professional (Bochum's manager, Otto, etc). Besides, I don't blame him for having an attitude problem. He's probably their best player (along with Barnetta) and he's on the bench? :tdown:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest TheLegend

I doubt it. Everyone says he's a model professional (Bochum's manager, Otto, etc). Besides, I don't blame him for having an attitude problem. He's probably their best player (along with Barnetta) and he's on the bench? :tdown:

Another brilliant post by you. If your the best you should give your team attitude. O man your on a roll :LOL:

• 4 weeks later...

Greece striker Gekas prepares to shine on big stage

Reuters, Friday May 23 2008 By Barney Spender

ATHENS, May 23 (Reuters) - Fanis Gekas needed a spell in the Bundesliga to blossom into the striker who will lead the line for Greece in their title defence at Euro 2008.

Gekas, who turns 28 later this month, was always a good goalscorer from the moment he started his professional career with his local club Larissa, who were then in the second division. But he was never the finished article.

He consistently found the back of the net too for Kallithea, with 46 goals in 99 league appearances, and then again for Panathinaikos, who he joined midseason in 2005 on his way to becoming the league's top scorer. But something was still wrong.

His first touch was poor and, in spite of an impressive strike rate of around one every two games, he came across as an inconsistent finisher.

His break came in 2006 when Panathinaikos signed Dimitris Salpigidis from PAOK, with Gekas due to go the other way as part of the deal. However, he put his foot down and managed to secure a loan deal instead to struggling Bundesliga club VfL Bochum.

It proved to be a turning point in his career. Playing in a tougher league and away from the critical eyes and voices at home, the hard-working Gekas moved up a level.

His season there turned him into a fans' favourite as he notched 20 league goals, helping the club secure a mid-table finish and making him the top scorer in the Bundesliga.

Gekas then moved to Bayer Leverkusen where, despite spending more time on the bench, he still managed to score 11 times last season.

In the meantime, he has begun to look more comfortable and confident on the ball in a Greece shirt, especially since German coach Otto Rehhagel started using him in a three-man forward line.

Having made his Greece debut in 2005, Gekas had to wait for his 15th international appearance before scoring in a 2-0 qualifying win over Hungary in Crete last June.

However, he has since gone on to score five more, including a hat-trick against Malta last November, and will be looking to add that tally at Euro 2008.

(Editing by Trevor Huggins)

Edited by Euro2004

• 3 weeks later...

FANIS GEKAS OE OE OE!!

FANIS GEKAS OE OE OE!!

I am a huge Fanis fan since Kallithea, but I have to say I seriously hope that will be said A LOT vs Sweden.... :tup:

In terms of Fanis Gekas, this tournament is his big chance to announce himself to the world....

Hes been good with PAO, Bochum and even Levekusen in UEFA particuarly, but since Bundesliga is overlooked considerably compared to other leagues, this is going to be massive for his career - particularly if hes still not consistently making the Leverkusen first squad, even though he did play many games for them.

Best of luck to all the Greeks tommorow, but Fanis in particular I hope makes a name for himself at the next level, hes done it at Kallithea, then PAO, then Germany, next stop is the international stage... Hopefully, itll be a great tournament for Gkekas, and eventually get more respect on the international stage....Hes shown (or at least proven to the rest of the Greeks) that hes more than just a lucky goalscorer, that he can move with the ball, create, and make his own goals... Its time for Greece to have that "name striker" that everybody knows about..... Gkekas is our best candidate to move on to that spotlight I feel and this tournament is where it can happen.

Absolutley ridiculous that, todays "preview" on ESPN they did not even say his name,

they talked about all the old players, but honestly how could you not be aware of who the top bundesliga scorer on the team are ???

Why is it there paid and dont even know these things here?

Edited by drakos13

• 4 weeks later...
  • Argy changed the title to Fanis Gekas ‒ (free agent)
  • Dutch Eagle changed the title to Fanis Gekas ‒ (retired)
  • Dutch Eagle locked this topic