Phantis Forums

Fanis Gekas ‒ (retired)

Ziaka

leverkusen doesnt seem as pleased with their best scorer this season for whatever reasons:

http://www.sport-fm.gr/article.jsp?id=114087

i think it's a battle that gekas can only win if he scores 1 goal per match. as long as kiessling is on that side, kiessling can do no wrong for the next 3-4 years. he's the young german attacking talent, and gekas is the 'guest-striker'.

i honestly believe that most european clubs-coaches-managers, have very low opinions of greek footballers, despite the 2004 success.

the recycled megson never plays stelios - when he does, stelios scores and stelios still can't get 90 minutes for a stretch of 6-7 matches. this year, tuncay is having the same type of season that stelios had 2 years ago, and now england thinks that tuncay is the tip of the iceberg of 'undiscovered' turkish talent.

I agree 100%! The only way we can shake off that stigma is if we go on another great run in these Euros! :gr:
I do agree with aek66 but dude i dont think another good euro run will change things. We dont have any major superstars. Look at that vote for the balkins thing above, people think Fyrom produces bigger stars then us. After a almost flawless euro campagn, and now the greek league is doing well were still not getting noticed. All we need is one great player to be consitant in a major club. Im really hoping that ninis or papasthopoulos make it huge. Mitrglou is also very good but not on the same level as them. Ninis and papasthopoulos need to do better then good clubs like leverkusen or man city and play for bigger teams like Liverpool or Madrid. Even if you lead one of the best leagues in europe in scoring and you play for bochum your not gonna get recognition if you dont play for the man unites of the world.

gekas too good for where he is right now... leverkusen are selfish.. gekas was the top goalscorer in bundesliga last season and 1 goal off the top this season!!

i have posted a similar message in the kyrgiakos forum..

why dont any english premier league clubs go for players like gekas, amanatidis, kyrgiakos etc..

greek players deserve to be playing in premier league.. not selfish german clubs that don't appreciate

gekas too good for where he is right now... leverkusen are selfish.. gekas was the top goalscorer in bundesliga last season and 1 goal off the top this season!!

why dont any english premier league clubs go for players like gekas, amanatidis, kyrgiakos etc..

greek players deserve to be playing in premier league.. not selfish german clubs that don't appreciate

Thats a good point but imo ur overrating the prem. I agree about selfish clubs thing you wrote. Gekas is a very talented play and should be more appreaciated because he is very talented. But u make it seem liek the prem is very nice to all there players and they are gonna love the greeks. Look wat happend to samaras.

Thats a good point but imo ur overrating the prem. I agree about selfish clubs thing you wrote. Gekas is a very talented play and should be more appreaciated because he is very talented. But u make it seem liek the prem is very nice to all there players and they are gonna love the greeks. Look wat happend to samaras.
you're correct about the samaras situation, similar thing happened with skopelitis (i think his name is) and chalkias for portsmouth..

but let me tell you something... the english premier league is the most followed football league of the world - people from all countries are into the premierleague. and i want our good players to get recognition... i want people to know greek players can play good football...

there are many people in europe (OUTSIDE ENGLAND) who argue that Laliga, Bundesliga and serie A are the best leagues in the world.. i disagree with them, they are only prestgeous and rich leagues but their style of football is not as good as epl

simply nothing compares to the premierleague. its the most entertaining, organised league, full stadiums, excellent players etc.

let me tell you another thing.. even after the euro 2004 triumph.. no body knows who seitaridis is and what team he plays for (although atletico madrid is a competitive club in spain and europe)

and although samaras is benched as you say, people around the world know who samaras is and where he plays.. eventhough seitaridis gets better game time..

another example is stelios.. when he was playing for olympiakos, people were like "stelio who"? you put him in the premier league (in a mid-table club) and everyone from around the world knows who he is straight away.. ofcourse the player has to perfom, but epl is where we want our good greek players..

i

Edited by levendi2000

you're correct about the samaras situation, similar thing happened with skopelitis (i think his name is) and chalkias for portsmouth..

but let me tell you something... the english premier league is the most followed football league of the world - people from all countries are into the premierleague. and i want our good players to get recognition... i want people to know greek players can play good football...

there are many people in europe (OUTSIDE ENGLAND) who argue that Laliga, Bundesliga and serie A are the best leagues in the world.. i disagree with them, they are only prestgeous and rich leagues but their style of football is not as good as epl

simply nothing compares to the premierleague. its the most entertaining, organised league, full stadiums, excellent players etc.

let me tell you another thing.. even after the euro 2004 triumph.. no body knows who seitaridis is and what team he plays for (although atletico madrid is a competitive club in spain and europe)

and although samaras is benched as you say, people around the world know who samaras is and where he plays.. eventhough seitaridis gets better game time..

another example is stelios.. when he was playing for olympiakos, people were like "stelio who"? you put him in the premier league (in a mid-table club) and everyone from around the world knows who he is straight away.. ofcourse the player has to perfom, but epl is where we want our good greek players..

i

Very good point levendi. The englsih league is the most watched league in the world and can speard more greek names aroud the world.

Even though i think LaLiga is stronger :P

• 4 weeks later...
Guest TheLegend

I think he started his first game the other day in a LONG time. What a shame that idiot on Leverkusen ruined a good career he was having in Germany.

He had 9 goals Toni had 10 and Gekas was playing half the games of toni and he sitll kept him benched / reserves...

Soemtimes coaches are so stupid and over paid

Guest TheLegend

Actualy I belive his excuse was he doesnt speak german. Then I cheked leverkusesns squad. I know for sure at least 3-4 starters dont even know a sentence in German

• 1 month later...

Gekas just scored a fantastic header from a corner in the 77' min. the game is still going but gekas scored a magnifisant header from a corner kick :nw: :nw: :nw: :gr:

that is excellent! did he come on as a substitute?

i cant see why he would be a benched forward when he was last years top bundesliga striker and was 1 goal behind top goal scorer when he started being benched..

gekas get out of leverkusen... your too good!! even former club bochum beat leverkusen 2-0

Great goal :tup: :gr: :tup:

@ paxiotis7: Nothing special. That it's his first UEFA Cup goal (this year?) and that the "small" Greek headed the ball in. Then goes on to describe the goal a bit more.

Gekas pounces to hamper Hamburg

Bayer 04 Leverkusen have the edge in the all-German UEFA Cup Round of 16 tie against Hamburger SV courtesy of a second-half goal from Theofanis Gekas.

Read the full article here.

that goal was superb.. he chipped the defence and keeper!! excellent..

he also got an assist for the 2nd leverkusen goal

leverkusen 2 - 0 cheeseburger

Edited by levendi2000

• Argy changed the title to Fanis Gekas ‒ (free agent)
  • Dutch Eagle changed the title to Fanis Gekas ‒ (retired)
  • Dutch Eagle locked this topic