Phantis Forums

Fanis Gekas ‒ (retired)

Ziaka

Man this guy is on fire. Hope he can keep it up for a while.Bravo tou!!! :tup:

Top 3 goal scorers in Germany:

(None of these players scored on penalties)

T. Gekas VfL Bochum 14

M. Gomez VfB Stuttgart 13

R. Makaay Bayern 12

I just hope that if he goes to a big team (like Stuttgart or something), he doesn't get into a 2nd season slump, the way Samaras did with City. I get the feeling that the second Gekas shows some poor form, they'll bench him and that'll be it.

"The Greek attacker, on loan from Panathinaikos, sports a mullet straight out of the 1980s and is essentially an unreconstructed, old-fashioned centre-forward, bereft of skill or imagination. He's also dull as the river Ruhr off the pitch - going on long walks with his wife is his only known hobby - and doesn't exactly dazzle spectators on it. He contributes next to nothing to his team's game, wins the least challenges in the league and is flagged offside so often that assistant referees are in danger of developing tendonitis. Against Hannover last week he managed to stray offside five times in five minutes.

He's the anti-Thierry Henry, both in a good and bad sense: his all-round game might be severely lacking but his finishing is world-class. His goals and the retro-cool of his Vokuhila-hair (vorne kurz, hinten lang - the German shlong) have firmly established him as a Greek god in Bochum, the club colloquially known as the greyest of all "grey mice" in Germany.

Every time he scores, the Sirtaki booms out in the Rewirpower-Stadion. An ever increasing Greek contingent is attracted to the ground and this week he will coach a training session of Hellas Bochum, a local Greek women's team. Some of team-mates secretly begrudge his success and are convinced that he only sees the club as a stepping stone but they can't really complain: Gekas has become known as Bochum's "life insurance", as no club with the leading goal-scorer has ever been relegated in the league's history.

Sadly for Bochum, they are set to lose their surprisingly prolific hitman either way. Their option to buy Gekas for ?700,000 is only valid if they stay up - but if they do, wealthier clubs will step in. "Fanis" is rumoured to have already agreed terms with Leverkusen, who are looking to replace the Liverpool-bound Andre Voronin. It has to be said that Gekas' mullet would only be a slight improvement on the Ukrainian's raver ponytail. But goals are still more important, even in the Beckham age."

source

"The Greek attacker, on loan from Panathinaikos, sports a mullet straight out of the 1980s and is essentially an unreconstructed, old-fashioned centre-forward, bereft of skill or imagination. He's also dull as the river Ruhr off the pitch - going on long walks with his wife is his only known hobby - and doesn't exactly dazzle spectators on it. He contributes next to nothing to his team's game, wins the least challenges in the league and is flagged offside so often that assistant referees are in danger of developing tendonitis. Against Hannover last week he managed to stray offside five times in five minutes.

He's the anti-Thierry Henry, both in a good and bad sense: his all-round game might be severely lacking but his finishing is world-class. His goals and the retro-cool of his Vokuhila-hair (vorne kurz, hinten lang - the German shlong) have firmly established him as a Greek god in Bochum, the club colloquially known as the greyest of all "grey mice" in Germany.

Every time he scores, the Sirtaki booms out in the Rewirpower-Stadion. An ever increasing Greek contingent is attracted to the ground and this week he will coach a training session of Hellas Bochum, a local Greek women's team. Some of team-mates secretly begrudge his success and are convinced that he only sees the club as a stepping stone but they can't really complain: Gekas has become known as Bochum's "life insurance", as no club with the leading goal-scorer has ever been relegated in the league's history.

Sadly for Bochum, they are set to lose their surprisingly prolific hitman either way. Their option to buy Gekas for ?700,000 is only valid if they stay up - but if they do, wealthier clubs will step in. "Fanis" is rumoured to have already agreed terms with Leverkusen, who are looking to replace the Liverpool-bound Andre Voronin. It has to be said that Gekas' mullet would only be a slight improvement on the Ukrainian's raver ponytail. But goals are still more important, even in the Beckham age."

source

It's a very well written and witty piece, but it is quite insulting to Gekas.

The mullet he sports is shocking and in my opinion fair game for people to take the mickey out of, but the writers attack on him being dull and bereft of skill does not negate from this when giving him a backhand compliment for his goal scoring.

We all need some humour when analysing the world, and especially football but if I was Gekas I'd be annoyed! :D

The guy has skill. He is more skillful than Charisteas for example. He should show it more.

Kai kopsto gourounotriho re Fani!

who cares if he's dull or not, it doesn't matter if he contributes little else to bochum, bottom line is he's a top top finisher. man if liverpool had a finisher who did little else perhaps they'd still be in contention for the league. strikers are judged on goals and he's the top scorer and i don't think any of his goals include penalties.

BOCHUM 1 - 2 HERTHA BERLIN :(

bochum were ahead 1-0 gekas scored but it's all changed now :(

it's approching the last minutes looks like the score is going to

stay like this :huh:.

Bochum lost 3 -1.

At least he scored another goal.

I think even if VfL Bochum stay up Gekas should leave for a bigger club. He is in his mid to late 20s now and there would be no better time for him to test himself at a greater club.

i have to commend gkekas on his season so far..his goal scorng record has proven very worthy and is the only hope bochum have...they would be lost if it were not for him but with my praise comes alittle critisicism..if gkekas wants to play for a big club he has to improve his work rate...he is a great goalscorer and has a great eye for goal but he does not really contribute much else..ive heard some top german clubs like stuttgard were interested in him and in order for him to succeed i feel as though he needs to work on his overall game alittle more..regardless, his goal scoring has been phenomenal and i am happy he found his feet in germany..BRAVO PALIKARI!

• Argy changed the title to Fanis Gekas ‒ (free agent)
  • Dutch Eagle changed the title to Fanis Gekas ‒ (retired)
  • Dutch Eagle locked this topic