Phantis Forums

Fanis Gekas ‒ (retired)

Ziaka

Agreed. His moments of success in Turkey the last few years could translate into the same in Greece. Is it fair to say that overall the level of quality is higher right now in the Turkish league? (I don't actually know, I'm just guessing based on the higher quality foreign players the top Turkish teams attract.)

Edited by MykinesFC

It's hard to look beyond my pride to objectively say which league is better but I'll do my best.

Turkey probably has a slight edge over the whole league.

I think Olympiakos is the best team from both leagues, however.

Rosterwise Olympiakos is far inferior to Galatasaray and Fenerbahce.
But Both teams don't do any better at Europe. Can't talk about Fener because they had a ban from European Competitions since 2015-16. 
Galatasaray usually perfrms as Oly does , maybe goes 1 or 2 rounds further in Europa League and maybe they qualified for R16 of champions League 1 more time than us the last 5-6 years.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Gekas days:

Wake up

Eat

Score for my team nonstop

Become first goalscorer in the first 6-10 matches.

get in a fight with team's management/coach

leave team

search for another team

miss every chance possible with my national team

sleep

REPEAT

:P :P :P

The saga continues.

Gekas just scored two goals for Sion to make it on HT 3-3 on aggregate against Braga.

Edited by Dutch Eagle
  • Like it 1

I wouldn't mind still having him up top with Mitroglou.

Novakovic is 36 and still automatic starter for Slovenia.

We looked very menacing with Mitro and Gekas together vs. Costa Rica.

Eventually probably phase in Velios or Klaus.

also just realized he's playing with Cypriot national Christofi. He's very solid from what I've seen. Great winger, massive pace, which Greece desperately needs.

Edited by georgelaz

Only Fernando Santos would make surprise selections of recalling a 35 year old Gekas if he is in goal scoring form. Santos didn't care if you were 37 or 17 if thought you were valuable to the team for that match. Kapino & Mavrias played for the national team at the age of 16 & 17 while Lymberopoulos, Gekas, Dimitrios Papadopoulos, Kapetanos & a few others have had surprise recalls late in their careers. I'm not sure that the current coaching stuff wouldn't select a 37 year old Gekas if they qualify for Russia 2018 just like Santos selected Lymberopoulos & Chalkias in their late 30's at Euro 2012.

Edited by Greekaroos
  • Like it 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As usual Theofanis Gekas has once again scored a goal for his club Sion with the opening goal of the match in the 20th minute away to Lugano in Switzerland's Super League. It is currently half time with the score Lugano 0 Sion 3.

A true legend.

If wiki is correct in the older years then this should be goal #5 for him this season. And thus #200 on clublevel. Don't know if that includes (international) cup-games.

And 24 goals for the Ethniki.

• Argy changed the title to Fanis Gekas ‒ (free agent)
  • Dutch Eagle changed the title to Fanis Gekas ‒ (retired)
  • Dutch Eagle locked this topic