Phantis Forums

Risks of Running Sopcast

I wanted to install sopcast on my computer but I know a few ports must remain open. I'm not much of a computer expert so I was wondering if some of you can answer a few questions.

What are the risks of keeping ports open? Is it possible to get a virus using sopcast via an open port, even with virus protection software on?

Well, any time that you run any service which opens up ports you can be at a risk. But for this to occur, the application listening on that ports must be exploited. Usually its some type of buffer overflow which is exploited. hehe won't go into more details as it might be too technical.

Keep in mind though, that even if you have no ports open and you are running the a firewall and the most "current" antivirus, you are still vulnerable. One virus scans are only lists of signatures that map to virus which are already known. So if a new virus is released your virus scan doesn't catch it as its not in its list.

Lastly even if that is not the case, if there is an issue with your operating system because it has not been kept up to date, well then that is another back door for soemone to enter through.

hope that helps answer your questions. about sop cast though, it shouldnt be an issue really. i've used it before.

• 2 weeks later...

Which version of the sopcast has the capability of showing the demo channels?

I have ver. 9.08 .

Mixalis

My program says "version 0.9.8" (as it's written in the login window) when you first open Sopcast. There are 4 channels listed under DEMO, 3 channels under Greek TV, and many other categories of channels as well.

Archived