Phantis Forums

Friendly Games.

Crazy

• 8 years later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hoorible reflex by kApino on the first goal..... At Pao he would come up with big saves and sometimes he would give up goals from way out....

It's one goal in a friendly in July, no reason to pay much attention to it. He and his teammates better be ready for the CL qualifiers though, Olympiakos fans have been spoiled for many years now, if we have a hiccup it will not go down well.

Do you agree with me now Tzatziki that your team isn't as strong as last season?

Yes its friendlies and they mean little but conceding in all games bar 1, no defence and lacking up front.

Seems your owner is taking the cheap option for now, until he sees guaranteed CL I would say.

What you think?

I don't put any real importance on these friendlies, as an Oly fan you are somewhat spoiled and anything less than a win is never easy to swallow, but friendlies are for the staff to try things and they count for nothing. Our owner has not spent any money yet this is true, but we always make our transfers late this is a pattern that any Oly fan can recognise. I don't believe it has to do with 20-30 million euros from CL qualification, that type of money is not a lot to Vaggelara. It is important to our club for the financial fair play rules however. Like I said to you yesterday this team is more or less identical to the one that ran away with the league title last season by 30 pts, no need to fret old bean.

I agree about friendlies but it does give indication on where the team is lacking and they have a few holes they need to close up ASAP. In Greece they may get away with it but in CL they most likely wont.

I think the fact he is trying to get into Forest has somewhat taken his focus slightly off Oly.

Apart from your last line, you are right. Personally CL success is not something that the smaller teams can attain purely by throwing money at players. The wealth gap is too big to bridge anyway. I would focus on stability, get a highly capable coach with an eye for talent to commit for 3 years or more to building a solid squad of players who can come together to create a whole that is better than the individual parts. This is just a pipe dream though, 1 or two good CL games with us and most players are packing their bags for greener pastures. In that year we went our furthest 98-99 I think, it was mostly domestic players with a couple Serbs and perhaps Ofori-Quaye, that was a team, today its a bunch of mercenaries, and I don't blame them, its the nature of the beast.

• Like it 1

Well said tzatziki and it isn't easier being in the Greek League where players are reluctant to come these days.... As for CL lets be honest we most likely wont see a Greek team win it, but making a Semi Final would be huge for any Greek team.

You don't think Forest has played a part for Oly?

• 3 weeks later...

True. But isn't it a friendly? I thought players are supposed to take it a little lighter with the tackles I haven't even seen 21 fouls in an actual match lol.

The players are playing for their futures so they weren't taking it easy. So the fouls are easily explainable.

Not scoring is a major concern.

• Like it 1