Phantis Forums

TV rights for Greek teams

According to reports ERT is offering Olympiakos 13 million Euro for a 2-year deal for the the rigths to the Olympiakos home games of the Greek league. This would come out to be aroung 7.5 million Euro per season. In comparison this season Olympiakos was paid 3.5 million Euro by Alpha TV.

rumors say that pao are considering to get a new deal with either star channel or mega channel!

ofcourse this would mean a major increase in tv revenues atleast double up!!!!

btw mega channel has plenty of cash cause next season they dont have cl football anymore(supersport and ert has the rights)

If Ert get the rights for Olympilagos next season this will be a MASSIVE story in greece and it wont be without a fight....

ERT is a goverment based channel and funded by greek tax payers..... as is era sport...

13 million Euro going to a private entity such as Olympilagos.... payed for by the greek tax payer is a JOKE!!! :ph34r:

Exei polla psomia akoma aftoi h istoria........

Not only that, th eproblem is that ERT will not be able to recoup their investment with advertisement, since they woul dhave to raise ove 7.5 million in advertizing revenue from the 15 Olympiakos games each year. If I remembr correctly I read somewhere that Alpha was never able to come nowhere near that amount from advertizing by airing the Olympiakos games. This can only mean that ERT will lose money on the deal, which will have to be paid by the taxpayers.

already posted!

ziaka close this thread.

http://clubs.phantis.com/sports/index.php?...?showtopic=8770

kala re iremiste pwpw ti kleisto kai kleisto eleos eipe kati endiaferon to paidi giati na kleisei as to empedwsoume 2 fores ;) kai kati allo epidi eipate gia ta duo kanalia...i ert etoimazei ert digital (kalwdiaki) alla dwrean apa enan dekth gia kalwdiako shma prepei na exeis ;) mporei na to balei ekei kai na eiai san free supersport ;) ektos kai an ta sumfwnoune re an einai 2 omades i mia stis 18:00 kai h alloi stis 20:00 h 17:00 kai 19:00..tespa den tha lusw to problima tis ert :D

For those in North America, both OSFP and PAO will be on ERT-Sat/World.

For those in Europe, PAO will be on Supersport for 1 year, then on ERT for

2 years, and OSFP will be on ERT right in the next season for 2 years.

As thrillossalonica mentions, ERT is planning to launch a digital channel called SPOR+. This channel will be part of ERT Digital, which also includes the allready launched channels Sine+ and Prisma+, which are currently available in the Athens and Thessaloniki reagions.

Those channels will be available using digital broadcasts using over the air transmissions. Something similar to the High Definition (HDTV) broadcasts that are being used here in the USA.

In order to watch the digital broadcasts you will need a television set that is capable of receiving digital signals. Another way of watching those channels on current TV sets is to purchase a converter that will decode the digital signal into analog. Apparently in the initial stages there are plans for such converters to be available on the Greek market through one of the companies owed by the Kokkalis empire.

As for all the money that ERT is shelling out for TV rights, it would make sense that they are looking to the future with all these new technologies coming around. From what I hear, ERT will be actively looking to acquire rights to other teams as well as other sports. Eventually I would not be suprised if the Spor+ channel is available as a pay channel only. ERT is denying that they will be charging for the programming on these digital channels, but I don't see how they can recoup all the expanses. Mark my words. Few years from now, people will have to pay for those games on the ERT channels.

My thoughts exactly Ziaka. I had a feeling that they are buying the rights to all these sports events and teams so that they can put them on the new digital sport channel they are launching. And like you mentioned, they will probably make this a pay channel at some point, how else can they afford to spend all this money for the rights and not get anything back. Advertising only goes so far and not sure how that works in Greece.

Personally, I don't think Public broadcasters should be in the pay TV business, all their services should be FREE because they receive funding from the public. In Greece, I believe that everyone pays something for ERT through their Hydro bills so why the heck should they have to pay for these channels?

Its all business and a big cash grab, they don't give a crap about the people :angry:

Welcome to the New World where Corporations not Governments rule :tdown:

Reports are that Alpha TV is working on a deal with Netmed (Supersport). Alpha will will give the rights to the remaining teams they own to Netmed. In return Netmed will let Alpha broadcast 14 selected games throughout the season, as well as expanded highlites from the games.

My thoughts exactly Ziaka. I had a feeling that they are buying the rights to all these sports events and teams so that they can put them on the new digital sport channel they are launching. And like you mentioned, they will probably make this a pay channel at some point, how else can they afford to spend all this money for the rights and not get anything back. Advertising only goes so far and not sure how that works in Greece.

Personally, I don't think Public broadcasters should be in the pay TV business, all their services should be FREE because they receive funding from the public. In Greece, I believe that everyone pays something for ERT through their Hydro bills so why the heck should they have to pay for these channels?

Its all business and a big cash grab, they don't give a crap about the people :angry:

Welcome to the New World where Corporations not Governments rule :tdown:

according to a EU law they cant charge money for state run tv!

True, but there are loopholes. The 3 new digital channels that ERT created (Cine, Prism, Sport+) are not run directly by ERT. ERT created a new company, which runs those channels. That might be the way around the EU requirements.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived