Phantis Forums

European Grand Prix

Alonso expects big fight at Nurburgring

Fernando Alonso is expecting a big fight to regain his winning streak at the Nurburgring this weekend after trailing Michael Schumacher home in the San Marino Grand Prix. While Alonso is confident he can challenge for the win, he's not so sure about Ferrari's pace and whether the Italian team can keep up its pace.

"I am expecting a big fight again," Alonso said. "I think the level of competition is much closer than the championship standings suggest, and there will be some big challengers. The Michelin tyres have performed very consistently at every circuit this year, and they have done a great job. It will be the same in Germany, I am sure, so we will see a big push from McLaren-Mercedes at their home race, running on the same Michelin tyres as us."

"What we don't know at the moment is how consistent Ferrari will be," he added. "So far, they have been strong at the same tracks as in 2005, and not so good at others. It is too early to say if it will be the same this year, so we can't write them off - and Michael is racing in front of his people too. We must concentrate on our job though, at Renault. I have the new B spec RS26 engine, which is a good step forward, and there are new developments on the car at every race. So I am sure we can be fighting for the win again on Sunday afternoon."

Schumi determined to claim second win

Michael Schumacher has warned his rivals that he is going all out for victory in this weekend's European Grand Prix and that he expects his Ferrari package to be right at the front.

"Coming to Nurburgring is always special but this time I am happier than usual," Schumacher said. "In reality, I hope to get a good result and put on a show for our many fans. After Imola and the positive outcome of the test sessions, I am confident that we can challenge for the win and this would be a marked improvement on last year."

"Our set up this year is notably better and this fills me with hope," he added. "As I am from Kerpen, it is, naturally, exciting for me to race on this track. We are determined to put on a good display. The competition is tough but so are we. I think that our initial troubles are behind us. I believe that we will be competitive and we would like to leave the circuit with a victory. So, I cannot wait for a tight battle".

Raikkonen ready to overtake at Nurburgring

Kimi Raikkonen heads to this weekend's Grand Prix at the Nurburgring confident he can make up for a disappointing race in Imola where he found himself qualfying low in the top ten and unable to overtake on the tight and twisty circuit.

"Although it is not like some of the wider tracks such as Bahrain and Turkey, there are a couple of genuine chances to overtake at the Nürburgring, such as the chicane, the first corner with its wide entrance and also as you go into to the Mercedes Arena," Raikkonen said. "At Imola it was impossible to pass even if you had the pace, so hopefully we will be able to make the most of our strategy for the qualifying and race and get a good result here."

Last year Raikkonen dominated the race until he flat spotted a front tyre, the vibrations from which eventually snapped his suspension and forced him out of the lead and the race on the final lap.

"Following my exit on the final lap at the Nürburgring last year as a result of a flat spotted tyre, I am hoping to have a less dramatic race this year," he added.

all from f1racing.net

the European grand prix will take place this weekend in Nurburgring.

Montagny to replace Ide

Following advice received from the FIA this week the Super Aguri team confirms that Yuji Ide will not race for the team this Sunday at the Nurburgring. He will be replaced by Franck Montagny. read more...

Wurz fastest in both sessions

05 May 2006

Austrian Alexander Wurz was also the fastest man in the second free practice session at the Nurburgring on Friday. The 32-year-old Wurz was almost a second faster in the 2nd free practice than championship leader Fernando Alonso. Imola winner Michael Schumacher was third.

Temperatures at the Nurburgring have been worse in the past. This afternoon temperature went up to 23 degrees. Midland driver Adrian Sutil impressed in first and second session with his lap times. The German ended up in tenth in Friday's afternoon session.

A few drivers ran off the track. Rosberg, Klien. Ralf Schumacher and Doornbos all ran off the track once but none of them damaged their cars.

Grand Prix of Europe - 7 May 2006 - Qualifying

Pos. Driver Team Time

1 F. Alonso Renault 1:29.819

2 M. Schumacher Ferrari 1:30.028

3 F. Massa Ferrari 1:30.407

4 R. Barrichello Honda 1:30.754

5 K. Raikkonen McLaren 1:30.933

6 J. Button Honda 1:30.940

7 J. Trulli Toyota 1:31.419

8 J. Villeneuve BMW 1:31.542

9 JP. Montoya McLaren 1:31.880

10 M. Webber Williams 1:33.405

11 R. Schumacher Toyota 1:30.944

12 N. Rosberg Williams 1:31.194

13 G. Fisichella Renault 1:31.197

14 D. Coulthard Red Bull 1:31.227

15 N. Heidfeld BMW 1:31.422

16 V. Liuzzi Scuderia Toro Rosso 1:31.728

17 C. Klien Red Bull 1:32.901

18 C. Albers Midland F1 1:32.936

19 S. Speed Scuderia Toro Rosso 1:32.992

20 T. Monteiro Midland F1 1:33.658

21 T. Sato Super Aguri 1:35.239

22 F. Montagny Super Aguri 1:46.505

it's gonna be an exciting race tomorrow! 15.00 (GMT+3)

from f1racing.net

Schumacher holds nerve to snatch home win

Michael Schumacher held his nerve, matching Fernando Alonso right until the second pit stops and putting fast laps in when it counted to beat the championship leader for the second successive race. Felipe Massa finished third.

Fernando Alonso started ahead of Michael Schumacher and led him into the first corner. Felipe Massa had a look around the outside of his Ferrari team mate but could not make it stick. Behind them Rubens Barrichello was the big loser dropping from fourth to seventh. Down the field Webber went from twentieth to twelfth and Takuma Sato climbed up to fifteenth in his Super Aguri.

In all the action Tonio Liuzzi lost control of his Scuderia Toro Rosso and collided with David Coulthard in the sister Red Bull Racing car. Both were early casualties and the safety car made a brief appearance but by lap three the race was back on.

Fernando Alonso and Michael Schumacher began trading fastest laps with just half a second separating them. Over the next fifteen laps the gap stabilised at just less than one second as they edged away from Felipe Massa and Kimi Raikkonen in fourth.

Alonso pitted on lap 17 releasing Schumacher into the lead. The German put the hammer down but so did Alonso and it was enough to regain the lead from Ferrari. Bout one went to Renault.

Kimi Raikkonen inherited the lead for the six more laps of fuel he had on board and went some way to cut the gap to Alonso and Schumacher when he pitted on lap 23. After the first round of pit stops Alonso led Schumacher, Massa, Raikkonen and Button.

Button retired on lap 29, his Honda pulling up on the pit straight with a puff of smoke. Another dismal afternoon for the British driver promoted Nico Rosberg to fifth - the Williams driver running a one-stop strategy after an engine change before qualifying meant he started dead last.

At the front Alonso and Schumacher continued to match each other in a game of brinksmanship which would last until the second round of pit stops. Alonso turned up the heat in the five laps before his second pit stop on lap 38 as Schumacher matched him. With 1.2s between them Alonso released Schumacher into the lead and there was no sign of Ferrari in the pit lane as the German fired in a new fastest lap.

Schumacher continued for three more laps putting in very fast laps and after a very swift pit stop rejoined the race comfortably ahead of Fernando Alonso. Round two, set and match to Ferrari.

With those three extra laps the race was decided and Schumacher cruised to his second win of the season and the 86th of his career ahead of Fernando Alonso. Schumacher's win reduces the championship gap to Alonso by two more points - the difference is now 13.

Felipe Massa brought the second Ferrari home in third to claim his first F1 podium finish. The double-podium finish for Ferrari moves the Italian team ahead of McLaren in the constructors' championship.

Kimi Raikkonen had another average afternoon with the new Mercedes V8 finishing fourth while team mate Montoya - who still had a race left on his old engine - made little impact and retired seven laps from the flag with a mechanical failure.

Rubens Barrichello picked up the scraps for Honda in fifth while team mate Button left the circuit before the race was even done - a rare public display of his frustration with the current situation at Honda.

Giancarlo Fisichella benefited from a series of retirements ahead of him to salvage sixth place ahead of an inspired drive from Nico Rosberg to fight from the back of the grid to seventh and two points. Jacques Villeneuve claimed the final points position in eighth for BMW.

Grand Prix of Europe - 7 May 2006 - Race

Pos. Driver Team Time Points

1 M. Schumacher Ferrari 1:35:58.785 10 :tup: :nw:

2 F. Alonso Renault + 3.700 8

3 F. Massa Ferrari + 4.400 6 :tup:

4 K. Raikkonen McLaren + 4.800 5

5 R. Barrichello Honda + 1:12.500 4

6 G. Fisichella Renault + 1:14.100 3

7 N. Rosberg Williams + 1:14.500 2

8 J. Villeneuve BMW + 1:29.300 1

9 J. Trulli Toyota + 1 laps

10 N. Heidfeld BMW + 1 laps

11 S. Speed Scuderia Toro Rosso + 1 laps

12 T. Monteiro Midland F1 + 1 laps

13 C. Albers Midland F1 + 1 laps

Did not finish

14 R. Schumacher Toyota + 7 laps

15 JP. Montoya McLaren + 7 laps

16 T. Sato Super Aguri + 15 laps

17 F. Montagny Super Aguri + 30 laps

18 C. Klien Red Bull + 31 laps

19 J. Button Honda + 31 laps

20 M. Webber Williams + 48 laps

21 D. Coulthard Red Bull + 60 laps

22 V. Liuzzi Scuderia Toro Rosso + 60 laps

a couple of hours before the race.....

Ferrari don't have race pace - Renault

Fernando Alonso's race engineer Rod Nelson says Ferrari have good pace over a couple of laps but can't match the Renault car on consistent race pace. Nelson believes Ferrari has gone for the softer tyre option which will compromise the team's race.

"To be totally honest, I thought their performance in Imola would be an isolated thing and I was surprised to see them so competitive in qualifying here," Nelson said. "However, I think they have gone for quite soft tyres this weekend. They are quick on one lap, but they seem to lose performance after two or three laps. So we are feeling pretty confident."

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived