Phantis Forums

Lazarus

1. For Losanta

a. Visit http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Oracle/1756/retro.html

b. Look at http://www.geocities.com/olympiacosthrilos...s/37-1973-3.jpg

2. OSFP supporters do not need to be reminded of past glories as the team is currently doing very well, thank you.

3. In its most recent match OSFP played the #2 team which decided that its only hope was to play ferocious defense and counterattacks. A strategy that worked as it brought them a draw (could have been a victoty with a little luck for the contender, could have been a defeat with a little luck for the champion) which OSFP considered a disappointment and the other team a great success.

4. Clearly any fan worth his salt would like his team to be so much better than its opponents that the latter are forced to play defense, defense, and more defense in the hope of scoring on a counter (e.g., if I had my druthers, I would have OSFP play like Ajax and suffer the occasional defeat when PAO gets lucky not the other way around). As this has been achieved, OSFP supporters would have been ecstatic but for one detail. It is not that their team has become all that better, it is that the Greek soccer, as a whole, has taken a giant step backwards.

it is that the Greek soccer, as a whole, has taken a giant step backwards.

2. OSFP supporters do not need to be reminded of past glories as the team is currently doing very well, thank you

Maybe your first quote does provide with a justification for an answer to your second quote? Just maybe...

that the latter are forced to play defense, defense, and more defense in the hope of scoring on a counter

Great teams have left a legend by relying on the performance of their defense. For reference purposes use Italian soccer starting at 1970 and extending to present days.

However, the reason for starting this topic was that Julio Losada came to mind. Nothing more to it...

However... since you're dropping in the bait...

3. In its most recent match OSFP played the #2 team

I would assume you are talking about current A' division standings? Because (and correct me if I'm wrong), I think that PAO holds a higher position than Olympiakos in international rankings, right? If that is correct, I guess your argument would be dependant on geographical with similtaneous chronological confinements. Again, if my argument is correct then OSFP could not have possibly played against himself, could he? He probably played against the #1 flagship team of Greek soccer!... Which makes Olympiakos simply contenders for the #1 spot... :lol: :lol:

If my argument is not correct... Well... I owe you a drink... Cheers!

But yes, Greek soccer has fallen in the ditch... To its lowest point... Can't fall any lower, and the only place it can go from here on, is upwards. Give it 5 years. By then, I hope, we'll start seeing some signs of upward development... Because it's not just the players, it's not just the teams... It's the people, the fans, and all the leadership all the way up to the top!

On the same note:

If my argument is not correct... Well... I owe you a drink... Cheers!

Ahat argument? What precedes the question is a textbook example of long-winded obfuscation.

It is wonderful that PAO has had a history of European success and I hope he has more in the future. It is regretable that OSFP has not done as well recently and I would hope he will also fare well in the future. But I doubt that things would have been any clearer if I had written "team ranked A by UEFA, but currently believing that A reflects past glories played team ranked A+B that currently believes that it plays at a level not reflected in its statistical ranking,..."

Anyway, if you buy me a drink each time your contentious nature leads you to espouse hopeless causes and support them with no-arguments, I will end up alcoholic. These days I am going for quality, not quantity.

Great teams have left a legend by relying on the performance of their defense. For reference purposes use Italian soccer starting at 1970 and extending to present days.

Untrue. Great teams are teams that have a record of success that spans years if not decades and it is impossible to have success without good defense. Great teams do not, nevertheless play bunker soccer and I was happy to see the gutless Italians be booted out of the latest WC as, true to their no-cojones nature, as soon as they led, decided to hold the score and allowed a much inferior opponent take the battle to them

-----

Evergreen, thanks for the compliment but I am afraid it reflects your generous nature, not the quality of what I write. Anyway, thanks again!

Archived