Phantis Forums

CYPRIOT BAGDATIS IS GREAT!

bides

I saw the match, Marco was really good. After the Aussie Open he said it was the "kick in the head" he needed and that he'd come back stronger as a result. I certainly saw that. He played a world class player in Ljubicic (world number 8) who is the worlds second biggest server (after Roddick). Marco was going to the net which he hasnt been doing, etc. He also out-aced Ljubicic (getting 16) which is no mean feat. He looked really good and he did it all in front of Ljubicic's home crowd. Hopefully he gives a strong showing at the French and wins many more titles! BRAVO PAIHTARA MOU!!!

:nw: :gr: :nw: :gr: :nw: :gr:

Edited by Ethnikistis

• 2 weeks later...

another final for Marcos

Baghdatis beats Nieminen to reach Open 13 final

February 17, 2007

MARSEILLE, France (AP) -- Marcos Baghdatis of Cyprus remained on course for a second straight title, reaching the Open 13 final with a 3-6, 6-3, 6-2 win over Jarkko Nieminen of Finland on Saturday.

The seventh-seeded Baghdatis, who won the Zagreb Open on Feb. 4, faces Gilles Simon of France in Sunday's final. Simon beat Robin Soderling of Sweden 6-2, 7-6 (2) in the other semifinal match.

Baghdatis, the 2006 Australian Open runner-up, said he was relaxed going into the final.

"There are things more serious than losing a tennis match," Baghdatis said. "I'm a cool guy and I'm happy in life. If I don't win, it won't be a drama, I will keep smiling."

After losing the opening set, Baghdatis regained his composure in the second set and used a series of drop shots to upset Nieminen's rhythm.

"At the end of the first set, I felt better, that I was getting my legs back," Baghdatis said.

Using his powerful forehand, Baghdatis quickly took a 3-0 lead in the deciding set, winning seven straight points in the process.

Baghdatis made it 4-1 with a perfect drop which Nieminen barely returned at the net, only for the Cypriot to whip a passing shot by him.

In the following game, Nieminen smashed his racket into the ground in frustration. Baghdatis clinched the match on serve when Nieminen hit a long forehand.

Simon broke Soderling three times in the first set and frustrated him during long rallies. In the second set tiebreaker, Simon's ace gave him a 3-0 lead. Soderling then lost his final two serves.

Updated on Saturday, Feb 17, 2007 1:02 pm EST

Email to a Friend | View Popular

Simon upsets Baghdatis in final of Marseille Open

Simon upsets Baghdatis in final of Marseille Open

February 18, 2007

MARSEILLE, FRANCE (TICKER) -- Gilles Simon could not have picked a better place to win his first ATP title.

The unseeded Frenchman gave the home crowd a thrill as he won his first career title with a 6-4, 7-6 (7-3) victory over seventh-seeded Marcos Baghdatis in the final of the $664,000 Marseille Open on Sunday.

• 8 years later...

The boys cheering on Marco did an exceptional job

Tsonga the m*****smeno having a little sook because we were against him all game!

Been 10 years that I've been going to see Marco at the Aus open, he's always provided us with something to cheer for!

MARCOLE OLE

MARCOLE OLE

MARCOLE OLE

RE BAGHDATI MOU TRELENOME

MARCO!!!

• Like it 1