Phantis Forums

CYPRIOT BAGDATIS IS GREAT!

bides

btw, is that blond girl they show regularly his girlfriend? wow!

well done marco!!! :nw: :nw: :nw: :nw: :nw:

yeah i believe she's Slovak, i forget her name but who cares she's hot

i didn't see the game but i'm downloading it from GT

he is easily the story of the tournament:nw: :nw: :nw:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Could he become a bigger Greek tennis star than Pete Sampras?

Brilliant Baghdatis Books Date With Destiny

Cypriot sensation Marcos Baghdatis has stormed into the men's final of Australian Open 2006 with an epic, come-from-behind semi-final win over highly-ranked Argentine David Nalbandian in the Twilight Session on Day 11 at Melbourne Park.

Urged on by his highly-vocal cheer squad, the world No.54's meteoric climb through the tournament appeared certain to come to an end at two sets down, but Baghdatis was able to summon a Herculean effort to come back and take the match 3-6 5-7 6-3 6-4 6-4.

After winning the Australian Open junior boy's crown in 2003, this will be the 20-year-old's first Grand-Slam final appearance with his previous best result a fourth-round berth at last year's Centenary Open.

It was a night of high drama until the very end, with play suspended by a torrential downpour with the score at 5-4 and 15-15 as Baghdatis attempted to serve out the match.

Having fought so hard for the opportunity, you could only sympathise with Baghdatis as he raised his arms to the heavens in disbelief as he trudged off Centre Court to await the closing of the Rod Laver Arena roof.

With the court dry and the roof closed, play resumed after a 30-minute pause and the Cypriot held his nerve - serving an ace for the win on his second match point.

"It's like a dream, I have to wake up I think because it's unbelievable - I don't know what to say - it's just amazing," Baghdatis said after the gallant victory.

"It's a dream (of mine) to play here and win this tournament - I believe it, my coach believes it, the guys I work with believe it, my parents believe it - I work for that and I believe in it.

"I'm very proud of myself and very proud of what we've been working on through the years. It's been an amazing career for me, it's like a story and I'm just very proud."

He was at a loss to explain his Houdini-like escape from the jaws of defeat.

"To tell you the truth I don't really know," Baghdatis said with a laugh.

"I'm playing amazing tennis, I just stopped thinking and just played my tennis, tried to be very aggressive and everything was going in. I'm just in my own world right now I think."

No.4 seed Nalbandian joins fellow seeds Andy Roddick (2) and Ivan Ljubicic (7) as one of the highly-ranked casualties of Baghdatis' stirring run to the final, with the success story of the tournament set to meet either world No.1 Roger Federer or Nicolas Kiefer in the final.

The classy Argentine had all the answers in the first set-and-a-half, while Baghdatis seemed to have finally run out of ideas after thrilling the crowd with his inventive play throughout his Open run.

The tension of the occasion was evident early in the match with both players losing their serves soon after the start, but that was to be Baghdatis' only break opportunity for the set, while Nalbandian had nine and converted two of them to take the set comfortably.

The Cypriot was quickly down two service breaks in the second set, but managed to break Nalbandian as he served for the set at 5-2 and held his own serve in the next game with relative ease.

The comeback was in top gear when he broke the Argentine again to be back on serve at 5-5 with the pumped-up Baghdatis raising his fist to the ecstatic crowd, but their elation didn't last long as he lost his serve in the very next game.

Like many before him, Baghdatis appeared spooked by the onset of the traditional fireworks display let off in a nearby park to commemorate Australia Day, losing his serve and the set after Nalbandian held.

The third set proceeded on serve until Baghdatis broke the pattern, pulling out some stunning forehand winners to go up a break at 4-2. He held his nerve and his serve this time and went on to serve out the set with an ace two games later.

The Cypriot's serve was his Achilles heel in the first two sets, but it became his most formidable weapon in the third and fourth with his winning percentage on first serve a stunning 93 per cent in the third and 88 per cent in the fourth.

Baghdatis sent the match into five sets by converting his only break point opportunity in the fourth set and successfully holding off a determined challenge from Nalbandian.

The differing body language of the players was notable as they came on court for the decisive set with Baghdatis skipping to his end, while Nalbandian trudged wearily to his, wiping sweat off his face with a towel as he went.

It made little difference early, however, as the Argentine struck first, breaking to go ahead 2-0 before, once again, being broken right back. The two broke each other once again as the set progressed, but Baghdatis made his move in the ninth game, breaking the No.4 seed to love, before going on to eventually serve out the match.

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

After the second set, I honestly thought it was lost. That has to be one of the greatest comebacks ever in tennis.

And yes that blonde is his.

biggest comebacks in tennis EVER???

hahahahaha now thats pushing it....

dont get over emotional just becoz marco won.... :P

comebacks from 2 sets to luv down are quite common these days.....

i watch and play alot of tennis.... so i know what im talking about :)

goodluck to marco in the final.... against federer... he needs it <_<

In Lonsdale Street, Melbourne they are requesting for the street to be closed and place large screens for the match to be televised for all the Cyprian and Greek supporters - this was quoted from The Age news paper today.

Does anyone know if there will be screens in Sydney to view the game on Sunday or any clubs will televise for Greek / Cyprian Baghdatis supporters...not leagues or bowling clubs for that matter...no atmosphere just yeri yelling "pigs arse" F***in wogs.

Edited by Manolis

In Lonsdale Street, Melbourne they are requesting for the street to be closed and place large screens for the match to be televised for all the Cyprian and Greek supporters - this was quoted from The Age news paper today.

Does anyone know if there will be screens in Sydney to view the game on Sunday or any clubs will televise for Greek / Cyprian Baghdatis supporters...not leagues or bowling clubs for that matter...no atmosphere just yeri yelling "pigs arse" F***in wogs.

CYPRIOT

hollywood, please dont forget:

we, cypriots, can sell and buy greeks, with one of our shoe, ok? (including turks etc)..

so, raise up your standards, a bit, then talk, ok? and please, dont make the tennis courts an arena ok? its no soccer, we talking about a prestigious sport here...

i call u tomowo, we talk some mo, ok?

untill then, get an economy, together with internal and external politics ok? dont just pull down your pants to turks, americans etc, and always agree on whatever they tell you...

im sure u wont agree with me... but hey... who cares....

FORZA CYPRUS!!!!!

Hi, this is my first post in about 3 months and probably my last for another 3 months. I realised I have a life outside the computer. I also got a little fed up with the infinite arguments between hollywood and bides, protathlitis and anyone green, for example.

I just wanted to give my full support to bagdatis. He's individually the greatest sporting icon ever to come out of Cyprus, and with a country that loves sport, it is an amazing status too have.

I'm so proud that he is also wearing the cypriot flag on his heart, its good too see he didnt sell out to other countries like some other 'greek' tennis hereos who sold themselves to the states.

Anyway, best of luck tommoro, I will wake early to cheer you on. If you win you will win an entire cypriot nation.

Guest snakecy

Instead of fighting with each other, all Greeks should be united.

It doesn't matter wether you are born in Greece or, in Cyprus, or if you are born in a foregn country. If your parent are Greek , or even half greek, then you ARE Geeek!

As far as i read above( about that cyprus is not Greek), all are bullsheet. Cyprus may has it's own goverment, but it's inhabitants are Greek! Besides even in history it is written that the first inhabitants where from a greek tribe.

Hi, this is my first post in about 3 months and probably my last for another 3 months. I realised I have a life outside the computer. I also got a little fed up with the infinite arguments between hollywood and bides, protathlitis and anyone green, for example.

I just wanted to give my full support to bagdatis. He's individually the greatest sporting icon ever to come out of Cyprus, and with a country that loves sport, it is an amazing status too have.

I'm so proud that he is also wearing the cypriot flag on his heart, its good too see he didnt sell out to other countries like some other 'greek' tennis hereos who sold themselves to the states.

Anyway, best of luck tommoro, I will wake early to cheer you on. If you win you will win an entire cypriot nation.

HE has already won an entire nation win or lose!!

we, cypriots, can sell and buy greeks, with one of our shoe, ok? (including turks etc)..

so, raise up your standards, a bit, then talk, ok? and please, dont make the tennis courts an arena ok? its no soccer, we talking about a prestigious sport here...

untill then, get an economy, together with internal and external politics ok? dont just pull down your pants to turks, americans etc, and always agree on whatever they tell you...

FORZA CYPRUS!!!!!

You know what i hate?? i hate the fact that Bidis has made me look like a dick-head... I personally can’t stand his post which consists of Bias, ignorance & racism… He and I haven’t been getting along for quite some time and during the mist of our arguments he has made some racist/personal comments such as “Aussie little boy”, “ur not Greek”, “Kangaroo”, “F ur mother” ect towards me when ive brought up valid comments about him and his posts… For a while I just ignored his racist and personal comments hoping that a Mod such as Evergreen, 2nd Mouse or Ziaka would do something or say something yet nothing was said.. After coping this abuse for a while (dnt believe me, go to the pao forum and look it up) and decided if he wants to play the racist card and cut me deep about my ethnicity, ill do the same thing and see how he likes it (which was wrong because I only did it to cut him, I dnt actually believe what I said)….

Now here comes a new member such as Ur self and others who have only read half of the arguments and come to the conclusion that Im Anti-Cypriot… well let me set this straight, I have nothing against Cypriots (never had, except now with Bidis), I only made those comments as a means or retaliation towards him and his personal/racist comments towards me (if u were in my shoes u wouldn’t b able to tolerate it for that long so u would scoop down to his level, aiming to cut him deep)… However I do realize that I was wrong and should have never ever scooped to his level because in the process ive not only cut him but ive also cut other Cypriots in here and made my self look like a dick-head.. so I apologies to any other Cypriot or Greek except Bidis in here who took my words personally, by no means there was no truth to it, it was a form of relation for Bidis’s racist/personal remarks…

So in conclusion I ask any other Cypriot or greek who has read my posts to understand that it was an empty retaliation towards bidis and his personal/racist comments about my ethnicity because im from Australia…

P.S of course i have been supporting Bagdatis!!! i think his great and ironicaly the majority of his supporters are either Greek-Australians or Cypriot-Australians who are just like me Bidis :gr: :gr: :gr:

Sorry Baghdatis, Federer has no empathy for a rookie

By JOHN PYE, AP Sports Writer

January 28, 2006

Posted Image

MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) -- Roger Federer clearly didn't want to empathize with opponent Marcos Baghdatis ahead of Sunday's Australian Open final.

The top-ranked Federer was to be going for his seventh Grand Slam title on Sunday, facing a player who began the tournament ranked 54th in the world and was a 500-to-1 shot to win the season's first major.

Asked after his emphatic semifinal win over Nicolas Kiefer if he could remember being nervous before his first major final, Federer said the circumstances were entirely different.

He'd spent a lot of time, he said, waiting for his chance -- spending a period ranked just outside the top 100 and another just outside the top 10.

Baghdatis, on the other hand, has been an overnight sensation.

"I went into my first Grand Slam final being sort of a favorite against (Mark) Philippoussis, I thought," Federer said. "So I guess that is already different circumstances -- he's not going to be the favorite."

Not only won't Baghdatis be the favorite, but he's a big underdog against a player who has won all six Grand Slam singles finals he's contested -- starting with a straight-sets victory over Philippoussis at Wimbledon in 2003.

Baghdatis, a 20-year-old Cypriot who was junior world champion and Australian Open junior champion in 2003, has lost all three of his previous matches against Federer.

Though he reached the final by defeating three seeded players -- No. 2 Andy Roddick, No. 7 Ivan Ljubicic and No. 4 David Nalbandian -- history isn't on Baghdatis' side. In six previous Grand Slam men's finals involving the top-seeded player and an unseeded player, the top-seeded guy has won every time.

Federer lost only four matches last year. Until his defeat by Nalbandian at the season-ending Masters Cup in Shanghai, where he was hobbled by an ankle injury, the Swiss star hadn't lost in 24 straight finals.

He won Wimbledon and the U.S. Open last season, and went into the Australian Open final with a 51-match winning streak on hard courts -- though he did have to survive a couple of tough five-set matches over Tommy Haas and fifth-seeded Nikolay Davydenko to reach the Australian Open semifinals.

Federer is on an 11-match winning streak, including a straight-sets win over Baghdatis at Doha earlier this month.

"In two weeks, he's improved incredibly," Federer said of Baghdatis. "We're all surprised he got this far ... but he beat quality players and totally deserves to be in the final.

"He's relaxed enough not to get too worried about all this stuff, it seems. I have to expect him to play a good match."

Baghdatis has been embraced by fans in Melbourne, a southern Australian city with a large Greek population. But Federer also is a popular figure in Australia, in part because his coach, Tony Roche, is an Aussie.

A win by Federer on Sunday would put him halfway to Pete Sampras' record 14 Grand Slam singles titles, but he said such marks are secondary.

"(I) think about the next match, not what I still have to achieve to be a legend or a great," he said. "I have a long way to go -- I know that."

Edited by plato-ny

there was something funny on the news the other day.

The Hellas fan club were cheering " Exw kolo tourki apo tin Kypro "

And the news reader asked Bagdatis cousin to translate what they were cheering?

He said " They are cheering that Marco is the best and he will win the open "

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Edited by XXX-18T

In a few hours Pagdatis plays in the biggest game in his life

his run to the Austrian open final is amazing b/c of where he is coming from but he has the second best streak at the moment

which belongs to the undoubtadetly best player in the world in Roger Fedderer

best to dominate this sport since Pete Sampras (Greek American lol )

and even if Pagdatis slays the dragon or giant Federrer will still be the best in the world

but Pagdatis needs only one day to be the best and it win a major grandslam

the praises about his play has come from everywhere

analysts, fans, opponents

and wut can u say about his crazy supporters lol

i know i am getting ahead of myself but if he is in the US open we Greeks and Cypriots here better organize ourselves to attend

but for now Beat Fedderer

there was something funny on the news the other day.

The Hellas fan club were cheering " Exw kolo tourki apo tin Kypro "

And the news reader asked Bagdatis cousin to translate what they were cheering?

He said " They are cheering that Marco is the best and he will win the open "

:LOL:  :LOL:  :LOL:

hahahahahahahhahahhaa i saw that... it was on channel 9 i think :LOL: :LOL:

ELA MARCO.... u can do it.... :gr: :gr: :gr:

i will say though.... it will be very very tough against Federer.... but i think.... like the EURO... this is fate!!!!!! :gr:

Edited by TRIFILARA

FORZA CYPRUS!!!!!

You know what i hate?? i hate the fact that Bidis has made me look like a dick-head... I personally can’t stand his post which consists of Bias, ignorance & racism… He and I haven’t been getting along for quite some time and during the mist of our arguments he has made some racist/personal comments such as “Aussie little boy”, “ur not Greek”, “Kangaroo”, “F ur mother” ect towards me when ive brought up valid comments about him and his posts… For a while I just ignored his racist and personal comments hoping that a Mod such as Evergreen, 2nd Mouse or Ziaka would do something or say something yet nothing was said.. After coping this abuse for a while (dnt believe me, go to the pao forum and look it up) and decided if he wants to play the racist card and cut me deep about my ethnicity, ill do the same thing and see how he likes it (which was wrong because I only did it to cut him, I dnt actually believe what I said)….

Now here comes a new member such as Ur self and others who have only read half of the arguments and come to the conclusion that Im Anti-Cypriot… well let me set this straight, I have nothing against Cypriots (never had, except now with Bidis), I only made those comments as a means or retaliation towards him and his personal/racist comments towards me (if u were in my shoes u wouldn’t b able to tolerate it for that long so u would scoop down to his level, aiming to cut him deep)… However I do realize that I was wrong and should have never ever scooped to his level because in the process ive not only cut him but ive also cut other Cypriots in here and made my self look like a dick-head.. so I apologies to any other Cypriot or Greek except Bidis in here who took my words personally, by no means there was no truth to it, it was a form of relation for Bidis’s racist/personal remarks…

So in conclusion I ask any other Cypriot or greek who has read my posts to understand that it was an empty retaliation towards bidis and his personal/racist comments about my ethnicity because im from Australia…

P.S of course i have been supporting Bagdatis!!! i think his great and ironicaly the majority of his supporters are either Greek-Australians or Cypriot-Australians who are just like me Bidis :gr: :gr: :gr:

I dont know why your writing a novel I asked for a truce!!! END THE BS!!

ATE RE MARKO BRING THE TITLE HOME!!

Baghdatis had a great run and should feel proud after losing in the final to the best tennis player in the world. He could become the biggest Greek tennis star since Pete Sampras. Only time will tell...

Federer beats Baghdatis at Australian Open final

MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) -- Roger Federer won his seventh Grand Slam title Sunday, overcoming an early challenge from unseeded Marcos Baghdatis to win the Australian Open 5-7, 7-5, 6-0, 6-2.

Federer's experience under pressure showed as the top-ranked stepped up his game in the second set and won 11 straight.

The 24-year-old Federer won the Wimbledon and U.S. Open titles last year. He will try to win his fourth straight major later this year on clay at the French Open -- the only Grand Slam he has never won.

The Swiss broke down in tears after receiving the champion's trophy from Rod Laver, the last man to sweep all four Grand Slams in the same year, in 1969.

"I guess it's all coming out now," Federer said. "I've had some hard speeches, but this one is a little rough right now."

Federer then thanked Laver, his voice breaking one last time, and embraced the 67-year-old Australian.

"I was so happy," Federer said later. "Then I had to go up on stage and speak. This is really too much for me sometimes. It's just a dream come true every time I win a Grand Slam."

Baghdatis, a Greek Cypriot who had Melbourne's large Greek population behind after him knocking out four seeded players, had never gotten past the fourth round at a Grand Slam event before this year.

"It's a dream come true," Baghdatis said after having to playfully shush his cheering fans. "It's just amazing. I love everybody watching in Cyprus. Kisses."

The atmosphere at Rod Laver Arena was electric as the 54th-ranked Baghdatis tried to beat the most dominant man on the ATP Tour for the first time in four attempts.

For a while, at least, it looked possible.

Baghdatis was solid early, shaking off errors with stinging baseline winners. And it was normally implacable Federer who blinked first.

Serving at 5-5 in the first set, the Swiss fended off two break points before committing back-to-back forehand errors -- the latter after he halted his service motion after a fan shouted, "Settle, Roger, settle!"

Flashing his infectious smile and using his racket to bounce the ball once between his legs before each serve -- a move that he picked up from watching Federer -- Baghdatis held easily to finish off the set as the crowd roared.

He broke Federer again to start the second set and had two break opportunities to go up 3-0 before Federer fought back to level at 3-3.

Baghdatis, a former junior world champion, had three game points at 5-6 to force a tiebreaker, but Federer rallied to break on a forehand from Baghdatis that was ruled long. The Cypriot, who questions calls infrequently, did so again. But TV replays showed the ruling was correct.

Federer, who also won the Australian Open in 2004, ran off 27 of the 37 points in the third set to take control.

Baghdatis had played two consecutive five-setters and three overall in the tournament, and the wear and tear started to show. He suffered a cramp in his left calf in the second game of the fourth set, and the brilliant winners came less often as the errors piled up.

Federer won his 11th consecutive game to go up 3-0.

Getting treatment on his calf at every changeover, Baghdatis tried to rally one last time and had a break point with Federer serving at 4-2 that would have gotten him back on serve, but Federer held, then broke for the eighth time. A forehand across court set up match point, and Baghdatis netted a backhand to finish it.

Federer is drawing comparisons to Pete Sampras, who won 14 Grand Slams in his career and was the last man to win three consecutive majors (Wimbledon and the U.S. Open in 1993, and the Australian Open in '94).

Their birthdays are four days apart, and they won their seventh Grand Slams at the same age.

"It's quite scary if I compare it," Federer said. "I'm on the same road but I've got to maintain it. It would be great to challenge it, but it's not my first priority."

The stadium was filled with plenty of red-and-white Swiss flags, but the dominant colors in the crowd were Greece's blue and white.

Signs of "Go Marcos, You Rule" were mixed with "We Luv You Federer."

No shame in losing to Federer in the final! :)

One thing for sure: Baghdatis has put Cyprus on the tennis map. :tup:

Btw, love the way he wears the NT jersey off the court! Truly one of us even if his father is a Maronite from what I hear. :gr: