Phantis Forums

CYPRIOT BAGDATIS IS GREAT!

bides

MARKO IS IN ROUND 4...THE 21 YEAR OLD CYPRIOT IS FLYING HIGH..

CONGRATS TO THE HUNDREDS OF GREEKS SUPPORTING HIM AT THE MATCH I WISH I WAS THERE SINGING THE NATIONAL ANTHEM!!! TRUE GREEKS NOT SOME FAKE AUSSIES WHO PRETEND!!!

Hopefully you 2 can get along or something

Anyway I just wanted to say that Baghdatis is a heck of a player

He took a set off Federer 2 years ago just after turning pro - at Wimbeldon (or the US Open - I can't remeber) - when Federer was completely on fire

Roddick next???? Wow this will be huge for him - good luck megale :gr:

Bides, sorry it took me so long to stand up for you, let me try to help. Ok Hollywood, you started this by bragging to bides that he's not not Greek.Bides, you are wrong because Hollywood is greek, even if he's in australia. It should be Hollywood's decision between Australians and cypriots. However, Hollywood, if Bagdatis isn't playing an aussie, root for him, it'd be wrong not to. and before u call me what u've calling bides, remeber, i'm half-greek and half-cypriot.

BARVO RE MARKO!! YOU MADE GREEKS ALL OVER THE WORLD PROUD TODAY>>WE WATCHED YOU LIVE FOR THREE HOURS KICKING THE m#$%!'s ASS ALL OVER THE COURT..

KYPROS ELLAS ENOSIS!!!

THAT WAS TRULY AMAZING CONGRATULATIONS TO THE FANS FOR SUPPORTING MARKOS.. IF GREEKS CAN STICK TOGETHER WE CAN ACCOMPLISH ANYTHING..TRUELY AN INCREDIBLE WIN...YOU PUT THE LITTLE ISLAND ON THE MAP.

BRING ON THE CROAT!!

MARKO YOUR CHICK IS INCREDIBLE KEEP IT UP RE!!

APOLLONA OLE OLE OLE OLE!!!

mARKOS bAGDATIS POREIS NA PROKRITHEIS!!

Marcos Stuns Andy, David, Ivan, Fabrice Through

by Paul Gough

Sunday, 22 January, 2006

No.2 seed Andy Roddick made a shock departure on Day Seven of Australian Open 2006, with Marcos Baghdatis overcoming the American to set up a quarter-final showdown with Ivan Ljubicic, while David Nalbandian will face off against Fabrice Santoro.

With temperatures hovering around 40 degrees Celsius most of the afternoon, all matches were played under the closed roofs of Rod Laver and Vodafone Arenas due to the implementation of the Extreme Heat Policy.

Croat Ljubicic was the last player to book his quarter-final berth when he defeated No.10 seed and 2002 champion Thomas Johansson 6-2 6-4 6-4 in the Twilight Session on Rod Laver Arena.

A polished returning performance by the No.7 seed unsettled the Swede's service game with Ljubicic winning 45 per cent of receiving points to his opponent's 27 per cent.

Johansson was only able to graft out one opportunity to break the big Davis Cup hero's serve, but he did not take it, while Ljubicic converted 4-of-7 chances to advance in straight sets.

Earlier, Cypriot Baghdatis showed he is far more than just a player with the loudest supporters at this year's championships by ousting Roddick 6-4 1-6 6-3 6-4 in just under three hours on Rod Laver Arena.

The atmosphere was red-hot in the stands the Roddick-Baghdatis match as the Baghdatis army of noisy Greek-Cypriot fans made their presence felt.

Baghdatis's brilliant play, particularly his devastating cross-court forehand, proved the difference between the two players even though Roddick actually won one more point - 117 to 116 - for the match.

He not only out-served Roddick - the best server in the game - with 16 aces to 15 but hit an astonishing 63 winners while only making 26 unforced errors.

"It was great out there, I was just in my own world," said Baghdatis. "I played pretty good tennis, I think that was one of my best matches ever. I'm pretty happy, I had a really great time."

"I knew that was very important to stay calm and just stay in the match and finish it because I lost some matches before when I was up 5‑4, serving for the match. So I kept pretty cool, tried to serve well and that's what I did, so I'm pretty happy."

Roddick admitted he was just no match for a player who had just played the game of his life.

"I didn't play that badly today, I think I would have beaten most people today but let's give credit where it's due, he played a very good match," Roddick said of Baghdatis.

"If you look at his stats, they are pretty impressive and the shots he was able to come up with were very good."

Meanwhile, Nalbandian again underlined why he is arguably the best player on the men's tour yet to win a Grand Slam title after he downed Spanish No.16 seed Tommy Robredo 6-3 6-0 2-6 6-2. He continued a remarkable run of consistency at the tournament by reaching the quarter-finals at Melbourne Park for the fourth consecutive year.

However, despite his consistency, Nalbandian will enter unchartered territory if he can win his quarter-final clash against French veteran Santoro.

That is because the Australian Open is the only one of the four majors where Nalbandian is yet to reach the semi-finals - having bowed out at the quarter-final stage in the past three years.

And ominously Nalbandian, now the highest remaining seed in the bottom half of the draw, says he is getting stronger the longer the tournament progresses having struggled with illness just before Australian Open 2006 got underway.

"I feel much better now that at the beginning of the tournament," he said. "The doctors have told me that every day that goes by I'm going to be better. I felt today that I played very good so that makes me confident for the second week (of the tournament)."

Santoro reached his first Grand Slam quarter-final at the age of 33 with a three-set upset - 6-4 7-5 7-5 - of No.11 seed David Ferrer out on Vodafone Arena.

The Spaniard hit far more winners - 53 to 19 - than the even-keeled Santoro, but he was on the wrong side of a lop-sided unforced error count - hitting 27 more than his opponent.

"I would say that one point of me is great that it's coming so late because, you know, when you start your career at 16, and first quarter-final is arriving at 33 years old, it's a long time - it's 54 Grand Slams in between," Santoro said.

"Is good because I always believe in my chance to do that, and I think I was right. Today I knew it was my chance ‑ and maybe the last one. I told you, I always believe in my chance."

"I said like few times in the past three, four years, that I keep playing tennis because I like the game. I achieve almost everything I was expected, except a quarterfinal Grand Slam. I was thinking about this, I was working hard for that."