Phantis Forums

CYPRIOT BAGDATIS IS GREAT!

bides

Marcos Baghdatis, world number 9, is the the final of the Beijing ATP tournament where he will face Mario Ancic, the world number 10. Ancic is a big server and he's beaten Marco on all of their three previous meeting. I predict a Baghdati victory though this time around.

BRAVO big win today - will certainly finish the year in the top 10 - what a huge accomplishment :gr:

If it wasn't for injuries and the clay season he would be top 5 for sure

Plus he is incredibly popular amoungst Greeks and nonGreeks for his smile, persona, fire and sportsmanship - very proud to have himrepresent us

BRAVO MARCO :tup:

Edited by loup

BRAVO big win today - will certainly finish the year in the top 10 - what a huge accomplishment :gr:

If it wasn't for injuries and the clay season he would be top 5 for sure

Plus he is incredibly popular amoungst Greeks and nonGreeks for his smile, persona, fire and sportsmanship - very proud to have himrepresent us

BRAVO MARCO :tup:

The clay isnt such a big weakness, he isnt bad on it! He grew up playing on it, his hated surface is Grass!! He had a poor Roland Garros but he can cause damage on that surface. He'll be top 5 before long and in 3 years he'll be pushing Federer, mark my words. :nw: :gr: :nw: :gr: :nw:

Big win Marcos, getting back into the top 8 of the ATP Race to get into the Year Ending Masters Series.... KEEP IT UP RE MARCOS

:gr:

6-4 6-0 over Ancic is very impressive. And more importantly, widens the lead between him and Ancic, who are both vying for a spot in the Masters Series Tournament.

Baghdatis batters Ancic in Beijing

Sun 17 Sep, 3:37 PM

BEIJING (AFP) - Marcos Baghdatis claimed the first title of his fast-rising career here on Sunday after a 6-4, 6-0 thrashing of Croatian Mario Ancic in the final of the China Open.

The smiling Cypriot who won many hearts nine months ago as he battled through to the Australian Open final before losing out to Roger Federer, turned in a dominant performance in the capital.

It took just 72 minutes for the third seed to complete his dream debut week in China.

"It's just a great feeling to win, especially after playing here for the first time," said Baghdatis.

"I've been playing better with each match this week.

"I knew Mario would be a tough opponent, but I kept my level high. He's a great player and I had to fight.

"It's good to get a win from him after losing three times. I was able to find the winning solution."

Baghdatis, winless in his three previous meetings with Ancic - including two defeats this season - was untroubled as he fired down six aces, broke four times and never faced a break point.

A concluding unforced error from Ancic, playing for the first time in two months after injuries in the post-Wimbledon period, sealed the match.

Baghdatis took a step closer to possible qualification for the season-ending Masters Cup in Shanghai.

He move up to eighth in the points race, passing American James Blake.

"This win was key for sure, it's important for me to try and get to Shanghai," said Baghdatis.

The 21-year-old Baghdatis is in the midst of a breakthrough year, finally coming good in his third final after Melbourne in January and Basel last November.

The Cypriot came to China for the first time after losing in a five-set thriller to Andre Agassi at the US Open.

Ancic was also making his debut in China and had won 19 of his last 21 matches.

The Croatian has one trophy from four finals in 2006.

Baghdatis improved his season record to 36-17 while Ancic stands 44-14.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have to say that its absolutely disgraceful that this wasnt even reported on, on the Greek news (Ert). He's Greek for crying out loud! The Turks are promoting the illegal state of Northern Cyprus every chance they get to the world. Even at the Grand Prix you guys saw what happened, and dont even accept our greatest athlete, why? Because he's not Greek but Greek-Cypriot?! Its a disgrace!!

• 3 months later...

HERE WE GO AGAIN!!! BAGHDATIS IN THE AUSTRALIAN OPEN!! This time he's seeded 11th and starts against the German Schuettler (who is also a former Aussie Open finalist!). Marco shouldnt have any problems here and if he makes it he'll play the winner of Minfils (Fra) and Bracciali (Ita) both very skilled and dangerous.

SIKOSE TO, TO g*****ENO, DEN MPORO, DEN MPORO NA PERIMENO!!!!!!!!!!!

Baghdati has qualified from the first round by beating his German opponent Schuettler 3-1 in sets. He will now play the talented young Frenchman Monfils who overcame Bracciali in 4 sets. Should be good. At one point (about a year ago) Baghdatis, Monfils, and Andy Murray were considered to be the best young players around but Baghdatis has developed most drastically but this kid Monfils can play so it should be a cracker!

Marcos Baghdatis was joined by his father, brother, extended family and friends at the Australian Open. They can all go home early.

His celebrated run to the final last year included upsets of three top 10 players. But Baghdatis crashed out in the second round Wednesday, losing 7-6 (5), 6-2, 2-6, 6-0 to Gael Monfils of France.

Baghdatis lamented that he had too many hangers-on this time.

Only his coach Guillaume Payre and girlfriend were in the stands last year when he won his six matches at Melbourne Park before losing to Roger Federer in the final.

"There's a lot of pressure -- not by media or stuff, it's more like my group," Baghdatis said after his four-set, first-round win over Rainer Schuettler. "I feel a bit of pressure from them. I'm not myself."

Things didn't get any better Wednesday for the 21-year-old Cypriot.

"I wasn't here, I wasn't in the match," Baghdatis said. "Everything went so fast, I couldn't control anything. I tried to fight, to find a way, but nothing was working."

The stadium was packed, and the closed roof made the vocal fans even louder. Pockets of Baghdatis supporters in the blue-and-white Greek colors waved Cypriot flags, chanted, danced and clapped between every point.

Monfils got caught up in the moment, too. A comment from one fan had him laughing so hard as he served at 5-6 that he had to back off briefly to regain his composure. He won the point, then fired an ace to force the tiebreaker.

The unshaven Baghdatis, with his usual ponytail held back by a bandanna, pumped his fist when he won the third set. He turned to his fans, and it looked like the magic might be back, especially when Monfils hobbled gingerly with a left-foot injury and didn't make a move for Baghdatis' set-point ace.

The 20-year-old Monfils took a medical timeout and received treatment from a trainer. Once he came back, he ran off the next six games without any apparent hindrance.

"He deserves it," Baghdatis said. "Gael played a great match. He was very aggressive, playing deep all the time. I couldn't find a solution."

When asked about Monfils' quick recovery from the injury, Baghdatis said: "I don't want to judge anybody, he can do what he wants."

Monfils, who plays good friend and Frenchman Richard Gasquet in the next round, said his victory over Baghdatis was "magic."

"Step by step, only one match," Monfils said when asked if he could replicate Baghdatis' performance of last year. "Maybe it's a big win, but I have to do more now."

Baghdatis, who came into last year's Australian Open ranked 56th and is now 11th, admitted he had trouble coping with the pressure of his improved ranking.

"I'm the guy to beat, it's not easy," Baghdatis said. "It's not the same pressure as before. I have to get used to it."

As he packed up to leave Melbourne Park -- 10 days earlier than he did last year -- he was philosophical.

"It's a positive," he said. "There are more important things in life (than) losing a tennis match."

:( :( :( :(

Marcos does carry a lot of weight on his sholders,hes gone from a stress free game to a high pressure life style. Hes still learning to deal with this new fame wich will take time for him to get use to,it was like his last game at Wimbledon in the summer,he lost caus of nerves and not caus he was out classed.

He needs a few more titles under his belt to start playing with full confidece.At least this was the start of the tennis season and a kick like this in the kolo is just wat he needs to focus on the tournaments hes got to face in the near future. ;)

Posted Image

• 3 weeks later...