Phantis Forums

CYPRIOT BAGDATIS IS GREAT!

bides

Bold Baghdatis Upsets Hewitt

Anyone somehow still unfamiliar with the name Marcos Baghdatis at the start of this Wimbledon fortnight must surely know all about him now. Having expelled the home hero Andy Murray in the third round, the 2006 Australian Open runner-up today overpowered sixth seed Lleyton Hewitt to win through to his first Wimbledon semi-final.

Hewitt came into the match unbeaten on grass this year, but could not live with his opponent’s silky skills. Baghdatis – who until last month had never won a single match on grass – triumphed 6-1, 5-7, 7-6 (7-5), 6-2. He will face Rafael Nadal or Jarkko Nieminen for a place in the final.

If Baghdatis, seeded 18th, could have dreamed up his ideal first set, it could hardly have been better than the reality. He looked immediately assured on the Hewitt serve, as if he was an old hand at Centre Court tennis instead of making only his second outing on the hallowed turf. Pounding away from the baseline, the Cypriot seemed supremely relaxed, while Hewitt appeared thrown by his opponent's power and pace.

The break came at once. On Hewitt’s next serve a wonderful Baghdatis forehand return brought up another window of opportunity. Baghdatis tempted Hewitt into the net and the Australian promptly fluffed a backhand. It was 4-0. In the next game Hewitt encouragingly summoned three break points of his own, and then had to watch as Baghdatis made short work of saving the lot to hold. Hewitt clawed his way on to the scoreboard by holding at last, but Baghdatis took the set with an ace.

The 2002 Wimbledon champion was sporting the same queasy expression most recently seen on the face of Mario Ancic during his obliteration by Roger Federer. He needed to find something – anything – and fast. But all he found was more of the same. Baghdatis broke immediately courtesy of a netcord, and Hewitt was being made to look ordinary. He responded by becoming uncharacteristically defensive, whereupon Baghdatis broke again. Even those who had tipped the Cypriot to give Hewitt a severe test had not quite expected this.

For a while dark clouds gathered overhead, and Hewitt must have prayed fervently for rain. It didn’t come, but in the event he didn’t need it. He broke through the Baghdatis serve for 1-3. All was not lost. Then, serving for the set, the Cypriot’s touch went sufficiently astray to let Hewitt level the score. It was 5-5, and for the first time in the match the air was pierced by the Australian’s signature instruction to himself: “Come on!” Hewitt was scampering about the court rejuvenated, and Baghdatis was rattled. His serve deserted him. From a set and two breaks down, Hewitt levelled the match. He turned to his team in the players’ box and bellowed at them, thumping his heart with his fist. Game on.

But Baghdatis replied by breaking Hewitt at once in the third. Hewitt was clearly annoyed, and dragged it back again. No wonder Pat Rafter referred to him as “the mongrel”. He had points for 4-2 but failed to convert them, hurling his racket to the turf. In the tie-break Baghdatis had the court at his mercy on his first set point but netted an easy volley. He didn’t make the same mistake twice, producing a wonderful backhand return down the line to take it. It was so good that it brought out a touch of Hewitt-ism in the Cypriot – he punched the air, pounded his chest, and shouted in triumph at his delighted mother in the players’ box.

On to the fourth. Despite the gathering gloom of an overcast evening, Baghdatis could glimpse the path to victory. A lovely backhand gave him two points for 3-1, and Hewitt sent a backhand wide. The Baghdatis supporters in the crowd stomped their feet and chanted his name. Minutes later they did it again, when Hewitt put a backhand in the net. The match belonged to Baghdatis.

Well done Baghdatis. Impressive victory against a #6 and former Wimbeldon champion. :tup:

They're finally showing his matches on TV over here. I was very impressed with his first set, total domination. He started to let go a little bit in the second (since he made the crowd laugh with his fake serve) and I was afraid the momentum was starting to turn for the worst. He continued fighting in the third and towards the end of the set I got the feeling he's back in the drivers seat.

After that it was smooooth sailing. B)

Good news is he'll have an extra day of rest over Nadal.

Believe in the dream, Baghdatis! :nw:

Tough loss for Baghdatis. :(

Nadal played better overall. Although Baghdatis did play with heart, it wasn't enough to overcome the # 2 man in the world. However I do see his potential in for future success. I could see Baghdatis in Nadal's shoes within a year or two ranking among the top 5 in the world. If he keeps working hard, he's bound to reach another final.

Final four for the 21 year old is not bad at all.

Good luck and we'll see you soon. :tup:

Tough loss for Baghdatis.  :(

Nadal played better overall. Although Baghdatis did play with heart, it wasn't enough to overcome the # 2 man in the world. However I do see his potential in for future success. I could see Baghdatis in Nadal's shoes within a year or two ranking among the top 5 in the world. If he keeps working hard, he's bound to reach another final.

Final four for the 21 year old is not bad at all.

Good luck and we'll see you soon.  :tup:

Many top pundits believe that the only player more talented the Marco is Federer, and I'd have to say I agree. He has better hands than Nadal, Hewitt, Santoro, Nalbandian, etc. His movement is exceptional and he is very clever. So why is Nadal currently the slightly stronger player? Well you can answer that by merely looking a yesterdays game.

In the 1st set Marco didnt turn up, fair enough. 2nd Set he played some wonderful tennis (both players did) but in the big games he'd hit a number of unforced errors. Once again raising questions about his ability to handle pressure. Also, when he got a first serve in he was near enough winning every point, but his second serve was poor and he'd only win 35% of those points. The fact that he always hits 1st serve faults shows that his concentration is low. Finally in the long rallies he appeared to tire.

So 3 target points are: Learn to cope with pressure, improve concentration to keep 1st serve % high but also improve 2nd serve just in case, finally some serious fitness work. I think he's capable of being world no.1 one day but if he'll do it or not is another question. Dont forget he was world youth champ, and was dominant at youth level against players like Nadal, Gasquet, Murray, Monfils, Seppi, Djokovic, etc.

Its been a great year so far though, Final of Aus Open, Semis of Wimbledon, next victory at the U.S.?

Ela Marco mou, live up to your potential adelphi!

:gr: :gr:

I agree, almost all of his first serves were faults. His second serve was usually not a challenge for Nadal. At key moments in the game I remember seeing Baghdatis hit the ball in the wrong direction towards Nadal instead of away from him when Nadal was clearly at a disadvantage to return the ball. Some easy points and sets were lost due to this mistake. He has the potential, just needs to correct his mistakes and he'll be a top contender.

Does anyone know what his ranking will be after Wimbledon?

The man from the little island of Cyprus ranks higher than the American Roddick.

Sweet. :D

You're right dude. How amazing is it that a Cypriot has a higher ranking than Roddick, any other Aussie, Brit, Frenchman, Italian, German, etc. All these countries that are so big and spend so much on sport yet Marco is better than all of them.

http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/entrysystem/

You know though, its not just his ability that makes me proud he's Greek-Cypriot, he's such a lovely guy. He's friendly, has a great personality, is funny, and is just a great representative of our people. Bravo Marco paihtara!

• 1 month later...

:nw:

Euxaristo poli re Baghdatis. He played such a tremendous match and deserves all the positive feedback that he receives. I believe that even though he lost in the second round, he has gained some valuable experience, and will continue to improve and become a top 5 player. Congratulations to Agassi, but I am sure that we will often see Baghdatis back on the main stage, as he has a tremendous amount of potential, yet more importantly heart.

:gr: :nw:

:nw:

Euxaristo poli re Baghdatis.  He played such a tremendous match and deserves all the positive feedback that he receives.  I believe that even though he lost in the second round, he has gained some valuable experience, and will continue to improve and become a top 5 player.  Congratulations to Agassi, but I am sure that we will often see Baghdatis back on the main stage, as he has a tremendous amount of potential, yet more importantly heart. 

:gr:  :nw:

I agree, it was a great effort for Baghdatis, especially in the later stages of the match. It was tough, especially with the entire crowd backing Agassi. I almost thought the tide had turned in Baghdatis favor, with Agassi losing his stamina due to his age, but he's proved he can still get it done. I have respect for Agassi, so it does not bother me so much. I hope Marcos can learn from this experience and improve his game to make it into the best of the best of the world. :) Edited by BlueStriker