Phantis Forums

FIBA WORLD BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIPS

Spain whipped us. They wanted to win more than Greece. Greece's gold medal game was against the USA and didnt focus on the Spain game. Spain was outstanding and without Pau Gasol. I dont beleive if Zisis had played that it would have made a difference because NOBODY on Greece played well against Spain. Greece defeated Turkey, China, France and the USA without him.

Greece managed to defeat USA with NBA players which is something very few teams have ever done and managed to break through into the final for the first time after reaching the semis in '94 and '98.

Despite the Spain game, we went undefeated in the most difficult division. We won the silver medal despite the fact we were predicted to be in 4th overall. Also, we are still the reigning Eurobasket champs. On a side note, we have been Euro 2004 champs, Olympics host 2004, Eurobasket 2005 champs and FIBA WC 2006 silver medalist.

Now, Greece will head into Eurobasket 2007 in Spain to defend its crown and will enter the Olympics 2008 in China and FIBA WC 2010 in Turkey as silver medalists of FIBA WC.

Paploukas, point guard, made the all-tournament team along with MVP center Gasol, his team-mate power forward Jorge Garbajosa, USA's small forward Carmelo Anthony, and Argentina guard Manu Ginobili. Also, Diamantidis led the tournament in steals per game.

Greece is now ranked 6th in the FIBA rankings. Here is the list:

Team Rank Points

1. USA 832.2

2. ARGENTINA 720.0

3. SPAIN 619.0

4. SERBIA 508.0

5. LITHUANIA 460.0

6. GREECE 429.0

7. ITALY 418.0

8. FRANCE 343.0

9. GERMANY 282.0

10. AUSTRALIA 279.0

11. CHINA 262.0

12. NEW ZEALAND 228.0

13. PUERTO RICO 217.6

14. ANGOLA 206.0

15. CANADA 196.0

16. TURKEY 194.0

17. BRAZIL 168.0

18. RUSSIA 162.0

19. CROATIA 125.0

20. SLOVENIA 121.0

21. VENEZUELA 104.6

22. NIGERIA 100.8

23. ISRAEL 62.0

24. LEBANON 57.1

25. KOREA 51.5

26. QATAR 45.2

27. DOMINICAN REPUBLIC 43.8

28. JAPAN 39.2

29. ALGERIA 36.0

30. PANAMA 34.6

31. URUGUAY 34.4

32. EGYPT 34.0

33. LATVIA 33.0

34. MEXICO 25.6

35. SENEGAL 20.8

36. BOSNIA AND HERZEGOVINA 20.0

37. IRAN 18.1

38. VIRGIN ISLANDS 16.8

39. UKRAINE 14.0

40. TAIWAN 13.5

41. SAUDI ARABIA 12.3

42. TUNISIA 11.0

43. SYRIA 10.8

44. UZBEKISTAN 9.9

44. KUWAIT 9.9

46. INDIA 8.7

47. MOROCCO 8.6

48. IVORY COAST 7.8

49. CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC 7.6

50. CUBA 7.2

50. HONG KONG 7.2

52. CZECH REPUBLIC 7.0

52. MALAYSIA 7.0

52. MALI 7.0

52. MOZAMBIQUE 7.0

56. KAZAKHSTAN 6.3

56. JORDAN 6.3

58. REPUBLIC OF SOUTH AFRICA 6.2

59. FORMER YUGOSLAV REPUBLIC OF MACEDONIA 6.0

59. BULGARIA 6.0

61. UNITED ARAB EMIRATES 5.4

62. ESTONIA 5.0

62. HUNGARY 5.0

64. GUAM 4.0

65. PHILLIPINES 3.6

66. THAILAND 3.3

67. SWEDEN 3.0

67. PORTUGAL 3.0

69. BAHRAIN 2.1

70. CAPE VERDE 2.0

70. GABON 2.0

72. INDONESIA 1.5

72. SINGAPORE 1.5

74. MADAGASCAR 1.4

*Unlisted Countries are ranked 75th

Edited by plato-ny

1. Argentina

2. United States

3. Spain

4. Greece

5. Turkey

6. Lithuania

7. France

8. Germany

Spain look very well and I think they will give it hard till the end!!

To put Turkey above France is ridiculous!
Just once try to get your dark glasses about Turkiye out and see the reality.. Just once!! <_< <_< <_< <_<
:whistle: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

these rankings are absolutely ridiculous!!

Serbia 4th.. what has Serbia done since 2002??? just a qtr-final at EUROBASKET 2003..

Turkey 16th.. i see teams like New Zealand, China, Angola and Canada over us and get mad!! was Canada even at the WC??

Croatia 19th Slovenia 20th.. these teams are better than at least 7-8 of the teams that are over them..

and actually.. where the hell is USA since 1994??? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Argentina, Spain, Greece and/or Lithuania should be ranked above USA?? but i think it's similar to the very stupid stuff in football.. European teams play with stronger teams in two year periods in EUROBASKETS, whilst USA plays with Cayman Islands and Guatemala to win the Central American Cup!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I have found out that Greece WILL qualify for the Summer Olympic Games in Beijing after there sliver medal finish in WC 2006. After that they play in Eurobasket 2009 in Lithuania, if they finish in the top 5, they qualify directy to World Championship 2010 in Turkey. :tup:

:gr: :gr: :gr: :gr:

Edited by dark_horse

I have found out that Greece WILL qualify for the Summer Olympic Games in Beijing after there sliver medal finish in WC 2006. After that they play in Eurobasket 2009 in Lithuania, if they finish in the top 5, they qualify directy to World Championship 2010 in Turkey. :tup:

:gr: :gr: :gr: :gr:

Regarding the Olympics, only Spain has qualified automatically for Beijing. Greece will need to finish in the top two in Eurobasket next year to qualify. If they finish between third and fifth, they will take part in a wild card tournament with seven other nations for three spots. (Of course, if Spain finishes ahead of Greece in Eurobasket 2007, it won't count.)

Now, Greece will head into Eurobasket 2007 in Spain to defend its crown

Just to let you know that Spain has NEVER won gold in Eurobasket. :LOL:

They got 1 gold in the World game, but Greece got 2 Euro titles. :tup:

Yeah right we´ve only won more medals than greece in eurobaskets but we never took the gold medal. But we are champions of the world, and also we were second silver medal in los angeles o g, and remember that we played against someone called Michael Jordan eh?. Is that too bad?

I think in europe only serbia and montenegro and the former soviet union has more medals than spain . I mean if you want to make sarcasm don´t do it on spain cause it´s a traditional bball country with an excellent league, the best of europe for me.

And let´s not forget than real madrid is still the team with more european titles eh i think it´s only like 7 or 8 euroleagues . Well not too bad :)

Juanjo,

welcome back.

As you can see most Greek fans can attribute credit where it should be attributed, and if you read through this thread you will see that everyone accepted defeat saying Spain was the best on the day by far.

But you know very well that GReece is better than that.

Congradulations on the good and convincing win mate.

We look forward to beating you in Spain... It will be a nice tournament for sure

Juanjo,

welcome back.

As you can see most Greek fans can attribute credit where it should be attributed, and if you read through this thread you will see that everyone accepted defeat saying Spain was the best on the day by far.

But you know very well that GReece is better than that.

Congradulations on the good and convincing win mate.

We look forward to beating you in Spain... It will be a nice tournament for sure

Thank you .

Of course greece is better than that, I know. Thanks to the people who has congratulated spain , that´s called fair play. And i will congratulate greece if they beat us in the european championship.

Yeah right we've only won more medals than Greece in Eurobaskets but we never took the gold medal. But we are champions of the world, and also we were second silver medal in the Los Angeles olympic games, and remember that we played against someone called Michael Jordan eh?. Is that too bad?

I think in Europe only Serbia and the former Soviet Union has more medals than Spain . I mean if you want to make sarcasm don't do it on Spain cause it's a traditional bball country with an excellent league, the best of europe for me.

And let's not forget than real madrid is still the team with more european titles eh i think it's only like 7 or 8 euroleagues . Well not too bad :)

JUANJO, I do respect Spain in many ways, way more than the U.S.. They are champions at virtually every level (Club or National Team). They play tougher defense than the Americans do, there offensive game flows very well. They play with passion, they never play like an INDIVIDUAL TALENT like the U.S., amazing how you guys find a way to beat Greece without your MVP player Pau Gasol. Your country are FIBA World Champions and I admire what they have accomplished. Now you guys play in Spain for Eurobasket 2007, I'm sure Greece would love to get there hands on Spain. :P Who knows we might beat you in your home soil, just like the Greek Football Team did in the summer of 2003. :gr: :gr:

I want to thank to all the sportive greeks who have congratulated my country for our win in the world championship. Next year you will probably beat us at home because your team is the best of europe and because greece is a country with tradition in bball. For me the best game of the championship was greece VS the USA i was extremely happy for the real show greece gave us all bball fans, it was an spectacular game by greece. I am sure spain would not have beaten the US. Unfortunately greece had a really bad day in the final against spain.

Yes i think greece is able to beat us in spain but if we grow as a team and with some new players that couldn´t play like vazquez, or raul spain will be more strenghful than ever.

• 1 year later...

Greece is one of the candidates to host Mundobasket 2014 along with France, Italy, Spain, Denmark, Russia, Saudi Arabia, and Qatar.

Greece is one of the candidates to host Mundobasket 2014 along with France, Italy, Spain, Denmark, Russia, Saudi Arabia, and Qatar.

by then we might be rebuilt..will have Vassilopoulos, Spanoulis, Koufos, Matalon, Pappas should be all in good form... and we wont have Giannakis :tup:

• 10 years later...

Draw for the 2019 WC:

The Greek national team will play in Group F with Brazil, Montenegro and New Zealand.

The top two teams of each group advance to the last 16, with the teams from Greece’s group set to join in a new group those who will graduate from Group E that includes USA, Turkey, the Czech Republic and Japan. The top two of this second-stage group will reach the quarterfinals.

The tournament will take begins on August 31. The final is scheduled for September 15.

The full draw:

Group A:China, Venezuela, Poland, Ivory Coast
Group B:Argentina, Russia, Nigeria, South Korea
Group C :Spain, Puerto Rico, Iran, Tunisia
Group D :Serbia, Italy, Angola, Philippines
Group E:USA, Turkey, Czech Republic, Japan
Group F:Greece, Brazil, New Zealand, Montenegro
Group G:France, Germany, Dominican Republic, Jordan
Group H:Lithuania, Canada, Australia, Senegal

Edited by Dutch Eagle
C: and D: = smileys
  • Like it 1

• 2 months later...

Greece is getting ready for the WC. Here are the friendlies towards the WC and the games in GS:

Διεθνές Τουρνουά (Ηράκλειο, Κρήτη, 9-11/8)

8/8 Ελλάδα-Ιράν (ανεπίσημο)

9/8 Ελλάδα-Ουγγαρία

11/8 Ελλάδα-Ιράν

Τουρνουά Ακρόπολις “Eurobank” (ΟΑΚΑ, Μαρούσι, 16-18/8)

16/8 Ελλάδα-Ιταλία

17/8 Ελλάδα-Τουρκία

18/8 Ελλάδα-Σερβία

Φιλικοί Αγώνες στην Κίνα

24/8 Ελλάδα-Ιορδανία

26/8 Ελλάδα-Κίνα

27/8 Ελλάδα-Τουρκία ή Σενεγάλη

Παγκόσμιο Κύπελλο 2019 (Κίνα, 31/8-16/9)

1/9 Ελλάδα-Μαυροβούνιο

3/9 Βραζιλία-Ελλάδα

5/9 Ελλάδα-Νέα Ζηλανδία

• 2 months later...

Have you guys heard that Australia beat USA 98-94 like a week ago? That snapped USA's 78-game winning streak since the famous Greece victory in World Championship 2006 in the semifinals. I looked at the USA team and they are definitely not gold medal material. 

• Like it 1