Phantis Forums

FIBA WORLD BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIPS

So, what's the previous record between Hellas and Spain? Should we be worried? I saw them play Argentina this am and they looked very tough but I think our boys can do it!

Here it is, although I don't have the Eurobasket match history.

Only remembered the 1987 game with Greece beating Spain 106 : 89

Here are the rest :

FIBA World Basketball Championship

1986 - Spain 87 : 86 Greece

1990 - Greece 102 : 93 Spain

1998 - Greece 69 : 62 Spain

Mediterranean Games

2005 - Greece 88 : 77 Spain

Edited by dark_horse

That's good we actually beat them as recently as 05.

They lost a heartbreaker to Germany in last year's Euro semis, and everybody knows what we did to Germany. But I guess it doesn't always work that way.

I still think we'll win, something like 86-77, Gasol or no Gasol.

Hey Galata, I think you owe our big man Sofo an apology!

mate, that was a joke.. but it was misunderstood.. perhaps not an appropriate one as well.. but i think he showed he can be a big guy against US.. the stupid thing about US is they didn't have a CENTER(!!).. other than Lebron, D-Wade and Melo, they are an overrated team.. and esppecially Howard!! :huh:

bythe way, somone from this forum is BLAKMAILING me and turk (gs) .. <_< if he iss man enough let him face me or turk rite here.. :box:

Edited by Neco_25

So, what's the previous record between Hellas and Spain? Should we be worried? I saw them play Argentina this am and they looked very tough but I think our boys can do it!

Yes we should worry. Spain is stacked AND plays as a team. It's going to be a great match...both teams desrve to win this tournament.

mate, that was a joke.. but it was misunderstood.. perhaps not an appropriate one as well.. but i think he showed he can be a big guy against US.. the stupid thing about US is they didn't have a CENTER(!!).. other than Lebron, D-Wade and Melo, they are an overrated team.. and esppecially Howard!! :huh:

bythe way, somone from this forum is BLAKMAILING me and turk (gs) .. <_< if he iss man enough let him face me or turk rite here.. :box:

I meant GS not you, cause he called him 'the worst player on the Greek side'.

Anyway, it's in the past. Don't wanna rehash it.

Bosh got beaten up pretty bad. That guy is a weakling. Not sure why coach K benched Howard in the 2nd half, he was awesome early on.

Yes we should worry. Spain is stacked AND plays as a team. It's going to be a great match...both teams desrve to win this tournament.

Spain is no doubt great but Greek defense and spirit are a huge factor....and we also play like a team.....the depth we have is ridiculous......at no point are we fielding players who cant be in the 5ada..

I am an spanish fan from barcelona. I think this spanish team is ready for the victory. Spain was always lacking of some psicologic strenght and now we´re strong mentally and with a lot of talent . So My vote goes to spain, I must trust in them they are the ones who have got to the final . So they are the ones who will fight to win it, and probably win it, with or without gasol.

I would like to play without gasol and win because then nobody would say that SPAIN IS ONLY GASOL. We fought for the medals in the last european championship without him and lost in the last second against germany. This team is able to play very good against all the teams. And we are missing fran vazquez too, just like greece misses zisis. Vazquez was drafted to play in the nba but he turned the offer down. And for me he´s great.

On the other hand i fear a well balanced team like greece with a lot of great players and scorers . I respect a lot yannakis because he´s a master by using a strategy in order to control the "timing " of the game. The greeks excell in that.They are the best in that. Spain is prolly the best defense ( with greece of course), and the fastest team.

I think the final is 60% for greece 40% for spain

with gasol the final is 60% for spain 40% for greece.

Thanks

From what I've heard Pau Gasol might have injured his ankle, could this be a good sign?  :rolleyes:

I'd rather see a healthy Gasol play on Sunday. A Greek victory would then be sweeter.
I´ve got a feeling. Greece will fight to win but if PAU plays for spain he will be outstanding and prolly will score like 36 points, 15 rebounds etc etc...... And he will be the clue if spain is able to run and finally , well I hope lol spain will prolly win . But against greece it´s so balanced greece will have chances to win as well.

But if we play with the best navarro and gasol , sorry my greek fans but greece doesn´t have a chance, in theory eh!.

I am not saying that we will win 100% but it´s my prediction!!!!!!!

This match is for the best players to show how good they are. That´s all. If spain plays with Gasol, and with navarro in a good mood spain is definitely the favourite and will win . I mean gasol scores 35 points, 20 rebounds, and navarro plays only as usual!. Then we only need a good day for calderon, rudy, garbajosa or rodriguez, and a good defense by carlos jimenez and the rest !!!!!!!!!!

This match is for the best players to show how good they are. That´s all. If spain plays with Gasol, and with navarro in a good mood spain is definitely the favourite and will win . I mean gasol scores 35 points, 20 rebounds, and navarro plays only as usual!. Then we only need a good day for calderon, rudy, garbajosa or rodriguez, and a good defense by carlos jimenez and the rest !!!!!!!!!!

It's about the best team, not the best players.

Spain only thinks in Gasol; only thinks in the star player. The Spanish press only talks about USA and his defeat; they don´t talk about the merits of Greece. Greece plays as a team and for that they will be the winners without NBA players. :D Papaloukas and Diamantidis are the best.

2004-Champions of Europe in football

2005-Champions of Europe in basketball

2006?

HELLAS OLE!!! :gr:

Edited by Alex_linense

Greece is favored to beat Spain:

Game Spread Money Line Total Points More

Sun 9/3 107 Spain +4.5 -108 +173

03:30 AM 108 Greece -4.5 -102 -183

Spain only thinks in Gasol; only thinks in the star player. The Spanish press only talks about USA and his defeat; they don´t talk about the merits of Greece. Greece plays as a team and for that they will be the winners without NBA players. :D Papaloukas and Diamantidis are the best.

2004-Champions of Europe in football

2005-Champions of Europe in basketball

2006?

HELLAS OLE!!! :gr:

I personally haven't seen anyone do what Diamantidis does as well as him. He really lives up to the nickname 'Octopus' he has his hands in everything!

THE BEST PLAYERS MAKE THE BEST TEAMS !!!!!

I am not talking about the USA, i am talking about talent into a team , the talent that makes spain different to greece- Pau Gasol .

That's why it's better to have 12 really good players instead of ONE great player (and a couple of good players).

If one gets injured (Zisis), we don't have to use the excuse: "well, we were without our best player."

We don't use that excuse.

May the best TEAM win. ;)

Edited by BlueStriker

Fantastic scenes all over Greece.

The Greek media (ERT/ANTenna et al) are bringing out all the "classics" tunes to celebrate.

Europe's "The final countdown" :LOL: and even The Scorpions!!!! :LOL:

We're right back in the 80s! No wonder Gekas is still sporting the mullet!

All over Greece ta tsigannakia and the mullet headed mixavakia gangs are going off!

:gr:

Guest fmylonas

:gr: Greece will beat Spain!

If Greece can beat the #1 Seed in the World (The USA). Then Greece will have no problem beating Spain.

Congratulations ELLAS!!