Phantis Forums

FIBA WORLD BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIPS

Quotes from people I know:

"We'll blow them away"

"Nobody stands a chance against the USA"

"I guarantee they'll win the championship"

Where are you now fellow amerikanakia?

Time to start the excuses. I can't wait to see what the USA sport shows will say about this defeat.

Not even listed in SI's top 8 before the tournament? :nono:

Sports Illustrated: GO SUCK A BIG FAT... :whistle:

Oh, it's so beautiful! :gr:

Quotes from people I know:

"We'll blow them away"

"Nobody stands a chance against the USA"

"I guarantee they'll win the championship"

Where are you now fellow amerikanakia?

Time to start the excuses. I can't wait to see what the USA sport shows will say about this defeat.

Not even listed in SI's top 8 before the tournament? :nono:

Sports Illustrated: GO SUCK A BIG FAT... :whistle:

Oh, it's so beautiful! :gr:

WELL SAID FILE!!!!!!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

:gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr:

Final score in the second semifinals:

Spain 75 - Argentina 74

Spain in next guys, let's hope Greece is ready for them.

From what I've heard Pau Gasol might have injured his ankle, could this be a good sign? :rolleyes:

P.S. - Argentina please beat USA so we can laugh further more ;)

Edited by dark_horse

For North Americans - we should give credit where credit is due the ESPN2 announcers were (at least the color commentator) the least pro_American knowledgeable announcers I'ver ever heard from the US. Kept saying how great the players and coaches were throughout the game and then again during the Spain-Argentina match. He pretty much refused to call this an upset.

Again as for the game -

If you didnt see it we outscored them by 18 in the middle quarters and quite easily held on for the win

Spanoulis was a stud - but really singling out one player is wrong - this wicked TEAM shot 62%. The way we ran the pick and roll it was though the American's were introduced to something from a different planet.

Amazing amazing game :gr:

PALIKARIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TOUS GAMISAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :gr:  :gr:  :gr:  :gr:  :gr:

POUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTTTSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

:gr: :nw: :gr: :nw: :gr: :nw: :gr: :nw: :gr: Edited by Ethnikistis

HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS!!!!!!!!! :tup:

What an awesome game, bring on the Spaniards! Yankees See Yeah Later!!! :D

Great work Paidia, bravo palikaria! Now I think Rehagal and his sad sack of bums should take note- these are true champions, they have heart and believe in themselves and look where it has gotten them- to the top of the mountain! One more match and they will be world Champs :tup: Those bunch of losers got lucky once and won the Euro, big deal where are they now.?! Our Ethniki basket won the Euro too and now they are in the final of the World Championships. Same players from the Euro win just like the soccer team but VERY DIFFERENT performances. These guys show up when it counts, the soccer bums don't! Maybe because they aren't as good as everyone thinks they are just because they won the Euro. Canada won the Gold Cup several years ago (Equivalent to the Euro) and what have they done since- not much just like Rehagal's boys.

Sorry to go off topic but had to make that point, we will see what those 'other' guys will do tomorrow. As for the REAL champs GO GREECE GO!!!!

ME TO KALO TIN KURIAKH PAIDIA- BRING HOME THE CUP!!!

:gr:

HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS!!!!!!!!!  :tup:

What an awesome game, bring on the Spaniards!  Yankees See Yeah Later!!! :D

Great work Paidia, bravo palikaria!  Now I think Rehagal and his sad sack of bums should take note- these are true champions, they have heart and believe in themselves and look where it has gotten them- to the top of the mountain!  One more match and they will be world Champs  :tup:  Those bunch of losers got lucky once and won the Euro, big deal where are they now.?!  Our Ethniki basket won the Euro too and now they are in the final of the World Championships.  Same players from the Euro win just like the soccer team but VERY DIFFERENT performances.  These guys show up when it counts, the soccer bums don't!  Maybe because they aren't as good as everyone thinks they are just because they won the Euro.  Canada won the Gold Cup several years ago (Equivalent to the Euro) and what have they done since- not much just like Rehagal's boys.

Sorry to go off topic but had to make that point, we will see what those 'other' guys will do tomorrow.  As for the REAL champs GO GREECE GO!!!!

ME TO KALO TIN KURIAKH PAIDIA- BRING HOME THE CUP!!!

Dude, no offense but the Gold Cup is not even remotely close to the Euro.

But anyway, are they going nuts in Mtl? Must be awesome! Skepsou ti trela ginetai stin Patrida!

I would agree with the Star reporter who said it wasn't that big of an upset; we are an amazing team, the best Greek team ever, at least one level ahead of the Galis-Giannakis glory days. No team has this depth, at any level in any league. Did you see the damage guys like Dikoudis and Tsartsaris did off the bench? We hit the pedal and never let up.

Down 12 in the 2nd (33-21) we took the proverbial voidi by the kerata and turned things around faster than you can say Schortsianitis (or 'Shorts-an-aitis' as the USA announcers called him, like it's some disorder or something). In case anybody failed to notice, we had ourselves a 31-pt quarter there against one of the most highly-touted teams no less.

Spanoulis was gold; how about draining those two series of three free throws after the m#$%! Hinrich fouled him beyond the arc. The Yank announcers kept saying you don't foul a bad shooter, then Spanoulis put on a clinic firing treys from everywhere. Bad shooter, yeah right!

The excuses began towards the end of the game, of the type 'you can't expect a coach to developk any sort of cohesiveness after only three weeks prep time'. Excuse me, how come nobody was talking like that when the multi-millionaires were thrashing all their opponents, including the Aussies by 40 in their first knockout game?

Sofo was gold, too. He missed a dunk when we were down 12 and I thought if we're not even getting the freebies, we're cooked. Then you got those two pts right back and then some, and we kept stopping the Yanks.

Unreal! I'm still in shock. We made history. I know it's not the biggest upset, but it still feels like a dream to beat such a stacked USA team. This was no Reggie-Miller-past-his-prime-in-2002-worlds, or Boozer-Iverson-other-avergae-players 2004 Olympic meltdown. This was a very talented and athletic US team. This team might have beaten the dream teams of old. LeBron is a beast, Anthony is a pure shooter, Wade does everything (as he proved winning the NBA title and MVP honours), and they're all so fast.

But we beat them. We may not have any big names (we have plenty long names, as the US press repeated over and over), but we are a brilliant team. Very few mistakes. Very few offfensive boards, sure, but that's because we were draining everything on the first try.

Comment about Gasol: I hope he's as healthy as can be; I wanna beat them at their best!

ELLADARA OMADARA! SIKOSE TO!

Edited by Nick99

Papaloukas with a tournament-high 12(!!!!!) assists in this historic win.

I just read that we scored on our first 13 possessions in the second half! Has anybody heard of this ever happening before? (I mean besides Harlem Globetrotters games!) :LOL:

Edited by Nick99