Phantis Forums

FIBA WORLD BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIPS

For football, I can not say the same. You had the Euro cup. That was brilliant. Afterwards, why couldn't you manage to qualify for the World 2006, finishing the group with a 3rd place after Turkey. Same is valid for Turkey. Having the 3rd title in World 2002 and no qualification for World 2006. I guess, this is what we have to think about. Instability.

Ah but no one remembers who finished 3rd in the W/C whereas EU champs go down in history. Also, Greece beat France, Portugal twice the Czechs, and disposed of Spain. Whereas Turkey beat Senegal, Japan, Korea... and lost to the only good team they played, TWICE! :LOL:

As for the bball, Turkey isn't a bad side, but are certainly inferior to Hellas!

I've only managed to see the games after they were live so already knew the scores :( But its still been wondefully entertaining. I honestly think we can go all the way with a bit of luck. Having said that, as much as I enjoy bball living in England I dont see much so I won't even pretend to pass myself off as an expert. For those experts out there can you please let me know if we can win it? Edited by Ethnikistis

that's absolutely wishful!! they're nothing but except 11 idiots around Nowitzer!!!

exactly.

Germany blows so badly....it really is just Nowitski. They are so overated...The only reason they got to the finals is because they played awful teams...

Speaking of easy draws....USA???? They havent played one real opponent yet....strongest was Slovenia..the rest of the teams they played are total garbage..

USA will destroy them complelty. And the American press will rant about it because they think Germany is a strong team... :LOL:

1. Argentina

2. United States

3. Spain

4. Greece

5. Turkey

6. Lithuania

7. France

8. Germany

Spain look very well and I think they will give it hard till the end!!

To put Turkey above France is ridiculous!
no its not....Turkey is better than France man...

Turk Germany should be nowhere in that top 8. They did nothing, and never even looked like doing anything.

When you say Russian, do you mean Ilyasova? If so, I would like to ask you why you label him like that and disparage without having knowledge about his background. Ersan Ilyasova is hailed from Ozbekistan but as many of you know very well, Turks have biological roots with Central Asia and still, many Turkish minorities live over there. Similarly, many late immigrants from Central Asia live in particular cities in Turkey. He was born in a city of Turkey and raised in Turkey. Would you feel good if someone call Sofo African, not a Greek? (although Ersan is biologically %100 Turk). So, please let's be more insightful about our comments. I am really glad to be in this forum in spite of some unfair comments. But, this happens in all forums. Some of you might say "What the hell are you doing in this forum?". My answer:

Phantis - the Sports Club.

I agree. Ilyasova is a Turk- these places are all Turkic tribes.

Sofo is not full-african or immigrant. He is Greek-African. His dad is Greek (white) mom Cameroon (black)....

1. Argentina

2. United States

3. Spain

4. Greece

5. Turkey

6. Lithuania

7. France

8. Germany

no its not....Turkey is better than France man...

Turk Germany should be nowhere in that top 8. They did nothing, and never even looked like doing anything.

Drakos, I think these were predictions for this tourney (ie. top 8 finishes).

I would put Lithuania above Turkey. In fact, I think they will 'upset' Spain and make it to the semis.

I still think we can win it all, today's result was pretty convincing.

1. Argentina

2. United States

3. Spain

4. Greece

5. Turkey

6. Lithuania

7. France

8. Germany

Just once try to get your dark glasses about Turkiye out and see the reality.. Just once!! <_< <_< <_< <_<

1. Argentina

2. United States

3. Spain

4. Greece

5. Turkey

6. Lithuania

7. France

8. Germany

Just once try to get your dark glasses about Turkiye out and see the reality.. Just once!! <_< <_< <_< <_<
In this tourney, Turkey does seem stronger than France, and from the teams that will likely lose the quarters, has one of the best chance at 5th spot.

But I put Spain or LTU at #5.

Anyway, it's all about the title, not 5th, 6th, or whatever...

exactly.

Germany blows so badly....it really is just Nowitski. They are so overated...The only reason they got to the finals is because they played awful teams...

Speaking of easy draws....USA???? They havent played one real opponent yet....strongest was Slovenia..the rest of the teams they played are total garbage..

USA will destroy them complelty. And the American press will rant about it because they think Germany is a strong team... :LOL:

Italy dude? Is that not a 'real opponent'?

I'm going to have to agree with some of you here - Turkey looks better than both France (without Parker) and a so-so German team. Plus they did beat Lithuania.

But what the hell do I know - I thought Angola would beet the French :LOL:

From what I've read and seen so far Sofoklis MUST be on his way to the NBA - they say he was too tough for Ming, who is a load himself with that big lower body. Big Sofo's stats per minute are ridiculously awesom so far:

34 minutes

29 points

He has not miss a shot yet from the field!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :tup:

Edited by loup

Posted Image

Spread Money Line Total Points More

Argentina -8.5 -108 -470 OVER 156.5 -105

Turkey +8.5 -102 +430 UNDER 156.5 -105

Spain -9 -103 -440 OVER 158 -105

Lithuania +9 -107 +400 UNDER 158 -105

Game Spread Money Line Total Points More

Greece -8 -108 -374 OVER 139.5 -112

France +8 -102 +344 UNDER 139.5 +102

USA -25.5 -101 -7000

Germany +25.5 -109 +5000

27/08/2006

GAME REPORT, Greece v China 95-64, EIGHT-FINALS

SAITAMA (FIBA World Championship) – Greece fell behind early but a relentless defense led by Theo Papaloukas once again came to the rescue as they beat China 95-64 to advance to the quarter-finals of the FIBA World Championship.

The Far East giants, in confident mood after their stunning last-second victory over Slovenia in Group D to qualify for the last 16, began the game like a runaway train and led 8-0 as Greece missed their first nine shots from the floor.

But the European champions, who still trailed 23-11 early in the second quarter, outscored China 30-13 over the last 9:19 of the first half to lead 41-36 at the break and they stormed to victory over the final 20 minutes.

“Today it was really a frustrating game for us,” said China center Yao Ming. “It always happens to us. (But) We did much better against European teams this summer. It's all about experience.”

China clearly cannot cope with the type off pressure a team like Greece can apply.

The Greeks forced 12 first-half turnovers and 24 for the game. When China did manage to hold onto the ball, they were often forced into taking bad shots.

"In the first minutes, it seemed we had prepared well for the game, but after the first quarter we played very badly on offense against a full-court press, and made one turnover after the other,” said China coach Jonas Kazlauskas.

The introduction of Papaloukas midway through the first quarter, the play of Vasilis Spanoulis and the girth and power of Sofoklis Schortsianitis helped shift the momentum to Greece.

Papaloukas attacked the basket and, alongside Dimitris Diamantidis and Vasilis Spanoulis, pressured the Chinese guards which led to so many mistakes for the Asian champions.

The biggest development, literally, was Schortsianitis, who showed his good performance in the last win Group C win over Turkey was no fluke.

While the 2.10m Lazaros Papadopoulos struggled against the 2.26m Yao, the shorter Schortsianitis (2.06m) is far heavier.

Schortsianitis is so big he makes offensive linemen on NFL teams look small.

When Schortsianitis came off the bench, Yao did not cope well with the different dimensions. In the 14:39 he was on the court, Schortsianitis made all three of his field goal attempts and was four of seven at the free throw line.

Early in the fourth quarter, he was on his way to a rim-rocking dunk when Yao Ming intervened and hit him on the arm, forcing him to shoot free throws.

Almost immediately after, Schortsianitis showed great footwork and went past Yao for a thunderous two-handed jam that must have sent tremors all the way to Athens.

"Our team doesn’t have a lot of experience to play against the best teams in the world,” Yao said. “We did a pretty good job in the first round. But in the second round, it's a different ball game, a different mind set. It’s more physical, body contact. We just need to play more."

Schortsianitis will figure prominently for Greece in the coming days against France in the quarter-finals, and possibly against Team USA if they go on to the semi-finals.

“We were able to recover from a poor start, when we were cold shooting and got better from the second quarter onwards,” Schortsianitis said.

“In the second half, we got our rhythm going and were able to extend our lead and get a great win.”

Papaloukas had 19 points for Greece in the mauling. For China, Yao was held to just 10 points and eight rebounds. "The team that makes more mistakes will lose the game, and we made fewer mistakes,” said Greece coach Panagiotis Yannakis.

“This was the key for us, because we knew against China we need to be more careful, because if Yao can get the ball, he can score very easily.

“So we needed to play basketball on the floor.”

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by plato-ny

Sports illustrated Top 16 (2nd round play). Greece is ranked 8th?!?!:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedi.../content.1.html

Tony Parker's take on the FIBA WC (has mixed feelings about Greek team):

http://broadband.nba.com/cc/playa.php?cont...0826.asx&video=

Edited by plato-ny

Screw the Bronze, I want some GOLD!!!

:gr:

Wishful thinking, I hope Greece could beat the United States first before they face either Argentina, Spain, or Lithuania (whoever makes it) in the final. :hypocrite:

First let's concentrate on France. :D

Edited by dark_horse

Sports illustrated Top 16 (2nd round play). Greece is ranked 8th?!?!:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedi.../content.1.html

Tony Parker's take on the FIBA WC (has mixed feelings about Greek team):

http://broadband.nba.com/cc/playa.php?cont...0826.asx&video=

Forget the ranking, look at the positive comments...average at best. They had better things to say about all the teams Hellas has beaten so far.

Now I hope they wipe the floor with the French and US teams (high hope on the later, I know, but that's how I feel after their asinine comments).