1 - US

2- Spain

3 - Greece :gr:

4 - Argenitina

5- Turkey

6- Germany

7 - Lithuania

8 - Angola

Fianlly got to actually watch some ball - from Blue and White - Canadian TV is horrible.

Those Australia and Turkey games were awesome for the Greek team.

Both those teams are talented but I think what we saw was that the Greek team has the confidence and experience that these other teams are missing.

Spain seems to be on a mission but I wonder if their basketball team chokes like the soccer team :LOL: we'll see vs Lithuania

What time (US central) is the Hellas vs. China game?

Thanks,

Hellas-China : 6am CST Sunday. I know it's 7am EST (assuming the FIBA site is correct; it says 8pm Japan time).

Originally they had this C1-D4 match at 10am Japan time, which would make it Saturday night for us.

Edited by Nick99

'Disparaging', I like that. Next time somebody cuts me off on the road I'm gonna yell 'You Russian!' That'll show him.

But 'Cameroonopolous' is not insulting, is it? Cuz your comrade said it, it's OK.

Seriously, shame on you 100% biologically pure Turks to lose to some lowly Greeks (but then we're probably not pure Greeks, probably have some Serbian, Russian, heck even some Lithuanian blood in us that enables us to excel in B-ball, and don't forget the African guy)... :LOL:

Oh, yes, and as you say in your own words 'B-ball is always second fiddle to football in Turkey', so no wonder you lost (the originality of the excuses never ceases to amaze me). Btw, you're not very good in football either so...better re-string that fiddle, bro.

You also probably didn't watch the game let me guess, after all who would admit to watching a game where their team was on the brink of beating the hated rival (leading even by 7 pts at the half) only to squander it in the end, but not lose just by one or two but by 7!

I personally would say 'Cameroonopolous' is more insulting than Russian. It is not only about the ethnicity but also about re-shaping a Greek name in a quite disgraceful way. And he is not my comrade, I haven't talked to him before. We do not share common opinions and interests. I have too many Greek friends, and I can clearly say I share more with them rather than Turk friends. Isn't it strange to categorise people according to their nationalities. What if me and you, or me and another Greek friend from this forum have common points in specific issues. As I was going through the different topics in this forum, I've seen posts starting with 'Turk' (replying to a Turk). For God's sake, everyone on this planet has a name (or a nick). You wouldn't be discredited for not calling them 'Turk'.

And I actually could not get the rest of your message. I do not state anything about the latest basketball or football games. On the contrary, I congratulated the Greece team for their success. Why do you require to contoversialize those?

Yes, we did not manage to get the Euro cup. But we had a 3rd title in football world 2002 (it might not be a big success for you, but very valuable for Turkey, considering our initial position). My team, Galatasaray had the UEFA a few years ago(again, you might argue the contribution of foreigners, but still valuable). It is obvious that we are proceeding by stages. I was talking to one of my best Greek friends and he said he was very suprised that Turkey won against Brazil, Australia, and most importantly Lithunia. That is exactly what we have to do in the future. Suprising others.

As I said in my preceding post, Greece has one of the best basketball teams on the world. For football, I can not say the same. You had the Euro cup. That was brilliant. Afterwards, why couldn't you manage to qualify for the World 2006, finishing the group with a 3rd place after Turkey. Same is valid for Turkey. Having the 3rd title in World 2002 and no qualification for World 2006. I guess, this is what we have to think about. Instability.

Going back to basketball (as we are in bb topic), it is my belief that Turkey bb team will continue to get good results. No excuse for Greece game. Greece was the more experienced and used its trumps in a balanced way. Some Turks say "we do not have Hido and Memo from NBA" bla bla but this was Hido and Memo's personal choices. They quit from the national team. As long as you step into the court with 5 players, you have a full team. I am sure Greece team had missing players, too but they never complain about it. Because they have an efficient system.

Sorry for long post and my language mistakes. (not a native speaker)

Yeah. 3rd place in WC by beating China, Japan, Senegal, and South Korea and tying Costa Rica. Not one team was ranked in top 25.

SAITAMA (FIBA World Championship) – European champions Greece are gearing up to face Yao Ming and China in the last 16 of the FIBA World Championship.

The Greeks went unbeaten in the hardest pool of the first round, Group C, and now find themselves in a game against the Asian champions.

Yao will be the focal point of the Chinese attack after averaging better than 28 points per game in Group D, but Greece star Theo Papaloukas said: "I don't think they're just Yao Ming.

"We have to remained focused on defense and offense. And it's going to really be a tough game."

China lost their first three games but came back to beat Puerto Rico and the Slovenia.

Shipeng Wang's three-pointer at the buzzer gave China victory over the Slovenians in their last Group D game and sealed their place in the eight-finals.

Greece start as heavy favourites, and for good reason. The defense the team has played under coach Panagiotis Yannakis has been second to none.

The side is also mentally tough. Greece have learned how to win in tight situations over the past couple of years.

In Hamamatsu, they overcome Lithuania in overtime, beat Australia with a pair of three-pointers in the final nine seconds and held off Brazil in a thrilling encounter which saw them lose Nikos Zisis to a bad facial injury.

Zisis will not play for six weeks while he recovers from the three broken bones he suffered in collision with Anderson Varejao.

Greece also won a tough encounter against their old rivals, Turkey, to take first place in the group.

"It's the top 16," Papaloukas said. "Now we have to get to the final eight.

"We did our best in the first round, at least from the results and getting wins. We had some good moments and some bad moments."

"We tried to correct some things and I think we'll be ready against China and for Yao," Papaloukas said.

"We just have to play good team defense like we always do. But I don't think it is only Yao Ming.

"He is always the key to every game. We just have to play really tough defense and see who steps up.

"We always get one of two players, and I don't think will be any different against China and they're going to lead us to the win."

Papaloukas says he and his team-mates are not burdened by expectations back home.

"No, why should we feel any pressure? It's the same. We have to do what we've been doing until now."

Greece have just 11 players for the remainder of the tournament due to Zisis' injury. China do not have any injury concerns.

In the 1994 MundoBasket I was in Hamilton Ontario when Greece beat China

The story repeats. It will repeat vs France.

Our draw was the hardest possible. In the toughest group C and the bracket vs group D winners US.

A medal is within our reach.

Helladara omadara :tup:

PEACE

Theodoros Papaloukas had 19 points for Greece, which committed just three turnovers while forcing China (2-4) into 24. Greece overcame a terrible first quarter with an impressive third period to advance.

Yao Ming, the 7-foot-5 center who plays for the Houston Rockets, had 10 points and eight rebounds for China. Yao, who entered the game as the tournament's leading scorer with a 28.4 average, was 3-for-5 from the field and 4-for-4 from the free throw line. He also grabbed eight rebounds.

China had six points and nine turnovers in the third quarter. Greece closed the period with a 21-2 run.

:gr: :gr: :gr: :gr:

They did have 19 turnovers in one game, but managed to win by compensating in another area. It seems Hellas is never deficient in more than one aspect of the game at one time, and more often than not they are running on all cylinders.

Down 18-11 after 10, no sweat, they scored 30 pts (!) in the second quarter, keeping the Chinese at an 18-pt quarter output, so they gained 12 pts on them in one quarter. Then some D: 6 pts allowed in the 3rd, the second best defensive quarter after the 5 pts they allowed in the a quarter in one of the group matches.

The French should be almost as easy.

USA-Hellas promises to be a classic. It's strange, they had a pretty close one vs. China, we killed China; we had a very close one vs. Australia, they killed Australia. Tough to call.

But I hope Germany wears down the USA.

They did have 19 turnovers in one game, but managed to win by compensating in another area. It seems Hellas is never deficient in more than one aspect of the game at one time, and more often than not they are running on all cylinders.

Down 18-11 after 10, no sweat, they scored 30 pts (!) in the second quarter, keeping the Chinese at an 18-pt quarter output, so they gained 12 pts on them in one quarter. Then some D: 6 pts allowed in the 3rd, the second best defensive quarter after the 5 pts they allowed in the a quarter in one of the group matches.

The French should be almost as easy.

USA-Hellas promises to be a classic. It's strange, they had a pretty close one vs. China, we killed China; we had a very close one vs. Australia, they killed Australia. Tough to call.

But I hope Germany wears down the USA.

Correction USA killed China 121-90 (same margin as our win over the Asian champs).

Anyway, the game play itself on the floor.

Honestly, I'd rather play USA than Argentina, but we can beat them both.