Phantis Forums

FIBA WORLD BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIPS

We would prolly be up against USA in the Semi if we get there (of course we will). I think that might prove to be too much for our boys without zisis i'm afraid. I think the medals will go like this:

Gold: USA

Silver: Argentina

Bronze: HELLAS

Doesent look all bad in my eyes ;)

As a Turk, I'd like to denote that Greece is one of the pretentious teams in this tournament. Anyone into the European basketball scene can easily state that former Yugoslavia, Spain and Greece are leading engines of European basketball. Not only the quality of leagues but also the basketball love is outstanding in these nations. In Turkey, basketball still plays second fiddle (football 1st). However, basketball is exposed to a snowball effect recently. The market and the quality of league is rising up every year. Although they have lost today, I am expecting to see them ending up with better results. The team is being renewed and the current median age is 24. As long as Tanjevic ends his stuborness and persistence, everything would be fine in the future. Congrats to Greek mates again.

It was a very good match today!

With the tournament entering its meaningfull stage right now I am sure both teams can go far.

I am very much amazed by our NT... The lads have soul and character and rise to the demands of every game and every dramatic ending (even if they get into too much unnecessary trouble by themselves)

We are having a very good tournament!

From the FIBA game report:

'Playing without Nikos Zisis, who broke three bones in his face in a collision with Anderson Varejao of Brazil on Wednesday...'

Can you believe that?!? Collision?!? Oh yeah, the 'collision' between the Brazilian's fast-moving elbow and Zisis' stationary face. What are these reporters worried about, stirring controversy? Since when does that worry them? Are they concerned about not disrupting the friendliness of the tourney's atmosphere?

Anyway, we won tonight, what a thriller it must have been! Thanks dark horse for the play-by-play, I kept scrolling down with a lump in my throat!

One word: balance. One thing we have lots of in spades, and that Turkey does not. Their guy Erdogan got 30 pts, half the team's points in a losing cause. Reminds one of the Galis era, only difference being of course that Galis would win games for his team with those performances.

Sofo had a huge game as did Kakiouzis and Lazaros of course. Clutch shooting from Spanoulis down the stretch.

This team never ceases to amaze me with their fight and persistence. They must be hell to play against!

Zito Hellas!

It's now China's turn. Any idea when the game is? I thought it was 9pm Sat EST, but crazy's post indicates around midnight.

Edited by Nick99

Hellas-China is Sun 10:00am I gather Japan time, that would make it Sat 9pm EST.

Anybody to confirm?

The game is at 3am CET and 4am GR Time.

I have to big up SUPER GREEK since no one mentioned him yet. He was huge in the first half! :tup: He's gonna make me wanna follow OLY in basketball aswell this season :box:

i didn't watch the game and i even did not see the stats yet.. but hey, 30 by Serkan.. that's very good cause he was hugely disappointing in the offence in the first four games.. congrats to the greek team and i can say both turkey and greece will be in the quarters cause china and slovenia are no match, i think..

cameroonopoulos had a great game?? well, than our centres should have taken this day off!! :LOL: he's by far the worst player in the greek team.. <_<

i didn't watch the game and i even did not see the stats yet.. but hey, 30 by Serkan.. that's very good cause he was hugely disappointing in the offence in the first four games.. congrats to the greek team and i can say both turkey and greece will be in the quarters cause china and slovenia are no match, i think..

cameroonopoulos had a great game?? well, than our centres should have taken this day off!! :LOL: he's by far the worst player in the greek team.. <_<

Everything's relative, Lebron. The 'worst player' on the Greek side can still crush Turkish centres any day of the week, twice Sundays. He's not the best but the physical presence doesn't hurt. Just like Shaq is nowhere being the best player in the NBA, but nonetheless he's a factor for his sheer size.

The Turkish coach attempted to use the excuse of the Russian's absence to explain the defeat. 'He makes 10 points difference he says'. I say you make adjustments accordingly, and similarly one can argue that the Turks would have played better if Hellas had Zisis in the lineup.

What good is Erdogan's 30 points if the team loses? Don't you prefer the first four results even with him not being much of a factor?

Wicked :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr:

Big Sofo had a huge game from what I read - any comments from anyone who saw the game?

China -they must be pumped after qualifying - but I must admit I am happier to see them than the Peurto Ricans

Yao is truely awesome to shut him down Lazaros and Sofo will have to be tough, although I think he will do well against us no matter what we do- but the rest of team??????

I can only guess that their guard play must be weak and this is our strength so we should do well - althought they will have the homecourt advantage I guess, being Asian.

Weird Spanoulis vs his future teamateshould be interesting

Really at this stage all 16 teams are quality - although I can't see the Africans getting much further - Spain - Serbia should be good so should Italy - Lithounia nd Slovania - Turkey

Avtually didn't Slovania beat us in the EUROs last time around - if so good not to see them

So guys our final 16 teams are ready to do battle. We have a few good matchups here.

Greece - China

France - Angola

Spain - Serbia

Germany - Nigeria

USA - Australia

Turkey - Slovenia

Argentina - New Zealand

Italy - Lithuania

I can smell a few upsets...maybe from Lithuania, Slovenia & Serbia (they are the underdogs). Guess what I found out, if Greece plays in the quarterfinals, they might face France. :nw:

:gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr:

But I believe that turkish team is a little bit stronger dont understand me wrong I also watched the Greek team matches and the only best game they show was against Australia but however they win 3 times like Turkey and it will be very exiting tomorrow

TUERKIYE TUERRKIYE TUERKIYE TUERKIYE

Prediction  Hellas  - Tuerkiye      78-80

COUGH*COUGH*COUGH*COUGH*

24/08/2006

Game Report, Greece vs Turkey 76-69, GROUP C

HAMAMATSU (FIBA World Championship) – Turkey showed their promise once again but old rivals Greece put paid to their unbeaten run at the FIBA World Championship in the battle for Group C supremacy.

Playing without Nikos Zisis, who broke three bones in his face in a collision with Anderson Varejao of Brazil on Wednesday, the Greeks trailed 42-37 at half-time but eventually prevailed 76-69 with Mihalis Kakiouzis and Lazaros Papadopoulos each scoring 17 points.

Posted Image

Greece also got a big game from Sofoklis Schortsianitis, the Olympiacos center who is new to this year’s side.

He finished with 14 points but will be best remembered for his second-half pass to Antonis Fotsis which led to a rim-rocking dunk by the forward.

"Today was a great game with the two best teams in the group," said Schortsianitis.

"Both teams gave 100%. The reason we won was because we were more concentrated in crucial moments of the game."

Turkey, due in large part to Greece’s defense, only scored five points in the third quarter and found themselves behind 54-47 after three quarters.

Posted Image

Serkan Erdogan kept his team in the game in the fourth quarter when he scored 10 of his game-high 30 points.

His three-ball made it 67-64 to Greece with 3:28 to play, and then Erdogan came up with a steal and finished off a break with a three-pointer to tie the game at 67-67 with just 2:52 to go.

Two Erdogan free throws tied the game for the final time at 69-69 before Vassilis Spanoulis’ three-pointer from the left corner gave Greece the lead for good at 72-69.

Spanoulis then added four free throws for the final scoreline.

Posted Image

Bogdan Tanjevic, the Turkey coach, missed Ersan Ilyasova’s offense, saying his 19-year-old star was worth "10 points per game".

Ilyasova sat out of the contest with an ankle injury and Cenk Akyol, another youngster, ate up many of his minutes.

But Tanjevic was pleased overall, with his team now set to face Group D’s third placed team Slovenia instead of China, with the Far East giants to take on Greece.

"We played a good game against a great opponent," Tanjevic said.

"We missed in the second half time too many balls in so many important moments of the game, and missed also Illyasova who couldn't play today, so all together I have to be proud of my team.

"They played well and challenged a very strong team, and that's a good point of the game for us."

Greece is favored to beat China:

http://www27.pinnaclesports.com/vwGuestLin...%20Championship

To al of you who think USA is unbeattable, rememeber what happened to Brazil in the WC 2006.

Edited by plato-ny