Phantis Forums

FIBA WORLD BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIPS

Right now Nick99, the last 16 matchup would look like this if it we're to end today:

Argentina - Japan

France - Germany

Serbia - Angola

Spain - Nigeria

Greece - Slovenia :huh:

Turkey - Puerto Rico

Lithuania - Italy

USA - Brazil

I'll take that matchup, darkhorse. I think we're better than last year (at least we're better than we were before we won it all), and Slovenia is worse.

Frankly, I'll take any matchup they give us. The teams which will be the biggest test for Hellas though, are Spain and Argentina, and USA if they eventually meet.

Right now Nick99, the last 16 matchup would look like this if it we're to end today:

Argentina - Japan

France - Germany

Serbia - Angola

Spain - Nigeria

Greece - Slovenia  :huh:

Turkey - Puerto Rico

Lithuania - Italy

USA - Brazil

I'll take that matchup, darkhorse. I think we're better than last year (at least we're better than we were before we won it all), and Slovenia is worse.

Frankly, I'll take any matchup they give us. The teams which will be the biggest test for Hellas though, are Spain and Argentina, and USA if they eventually meet.

I was watching the USA vs. Slovenia game today on ESPN (US channel) and the announcer kept mentioning the tougher competition facing the US up the road.

He repeated at least three times "Greece, Spain, and Argentina are the other elite teams in this tournament" and "they are the most discipline teams" as well.

After reading the post about the Sports Illustrated "Top 8" teams in the tourament, I thought it confirmed my opinion about all American sports writers/announcers/people being completely clueless when it comes to the rest of the world (not just sports).

I've heard people in the US say things like "we will blow them all away" or "nobody stands a chance against us". Really? who won Bronze in the last Olympics?

I remember when the first Dream Team played in the Olympics. At McDonalds they had the schedule written on the cups, and the funny thing was that even in the knock-out rounds they had written "USA vs. TBA (To Be Announced)" going all the way up to the final!

It's nice to see a few people open their eyes beyond these borders and acknowledge the potential threat foreign teams pose to the USA.

But, to those who are so 100% confident that nobody stands a chance, I hope the USA don't win the world championships, and when they lose I hope they lose BIG! And I hope Greece is the one who does it. So anytime someone makes a funny comment about "that small country" I'll have a sweet comeback, other than the usual "democracy, philosophy, geometry, etc. contribution" speech which usually never sets in to those listening. Basketball is more simple. ;)

World Basketball Championship Final:

HELLAS vs TBA :LOL:

:gr:

In a way i feel bad for team USA.Only the first one was the real Dream team with the elite of Basketball(Jordan,Bird,Johnson and the rest superstarts),the second team was strong with Shaq(i can not remember the rest of them) but the rest of the so called "Dream teams" were just good players that had no team spirit and played against opponontes that had no clue about.This year they have the future stars coming to this competition and don t take me wrong,they are strong but they are not unbeatable.I really hope we get to play them and manage to whoop there ass. :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr:

Finishing 1st or 2nd also is convenient from a schedule standpoint, at least for us here in the North American East.

Following are 2nd round game times (EST) by rank that we may finish in our group.

1st...9pm Saturday

2nd...midnight Friday

3rd...7am Saturday

4th...4am Sunday

this is a great group and two unforgettable matches took place today.. Hellas showed their spirit by winning the game in 19 seconds.. down from 5 pts.. great performance..

and Turkiye defeated Brasil --for the first time in the history-- 73-71 in an impossibly close encounter.. The interesting thing in this game was the support our guys got from Greek fans in the stands.. A friend of mine in Japan said he broke into tears when Greeks came near the Turks when Barbosa was taking the free throws with 7 seconds to go (70-71).. unbelievably, he missed both and we got it!! :nw:

up next is.. Qatar.. guys, do you see that there are 4 continental champions in this group?? Greece, Brazil, Qatar and Australia.. keep in mind that Turkey is the runner-up in 2001 and Lithuania are the winners of 2003.. A VERY TOP QUALITY GROUP!! :huh:

Turkey making the Eurobasket 2001 final was FIVE years ago and Lithuania won Eurobasket 2003 3 years ago. Thats ancient history. Current good info is that Lithuania is ranked #4 in the world and Turkey is 3-0 against Lithuania, Brazil, and Australia.

In a way i feel bad for team USA.Only the first one was the real Dream team with the elite of Basketball(Jordan,Bird,Johnson and the rest superstarts),the second team was strong with Shaq(i can not remember the rest of them) but the rest of the so called "Dream teams" were just good players that had no team spirit and played against opponontes that had no clue about.This year they have the future stars coming to this competition and don t take me wrong,they are strong but they are not unbeatable.I really hope we get to play them and manage to whoop there ass. :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr:

I think you're right about the following "Dream Teams". I don't know why they don't get the absolute best U.S. players in the NBA. I can only guess the top players don't think it's worth it to play for their country, and turn down the offer. I can't imagine any other country in the world offering a player the chance to play and represent their nation on the world stage, and the player turning down his own nation. Usually it's the other way around.

This is another one of the excuses they use when they do not come in first place. "We didn't have our best players". It's not our fault their top players don't care to play.

However, I do think this is the best team since the original dream team because it is filled with young superstars, and some of them still have something to prove. I wouldn't mind throwing Kobe into the mix to create some imbalance in the ego department.

If there is one team that can defeat the US, I think Greece is the one to do it. With Puerto Rico and Slovenia, the final score was not a blow out, and their opponents did manage to score a combined average of almost 100 points. The main strength of the US is offense which is great because the Greek team's main strength is defense. We probably have the best defense in the world. I think the US team will find tough opposition when trying to score and may get frustrated. If we have a decent shooting game, we can beat them.

:gr:

It is really hard to say who will win Turkey and Greece are one of the best teams in the world so...... :box:

But let fair-play win first :tup:

But I believe that turkish team is a little bit stronger dont understand me wrong I also watched the Greek team matches and the only best game they show was against Australia but however they win 3 times like Turkey and it will be very exiting tomorrow

TUERKIYE TUERRKIYE TUERKIYE TUERKIYE

Prediction Hellas - Tuerkiye 78-80

Edited by turkcell

What matters most is the win.In a way both us and turkey did not played well in todays games so we can have more energy left for the matchup against each other.ELLADARA GAMA TOUS TO M@UNI TIS ....... :gr: :gr: :gr:

It is really hard to say who will win Turkey and Greece are one of the best teams in the world so...... :box:

But let fair-play win first :tup:

But I believe that turkish team is a little bit stronger dont understand me wrong I also watched the Greek team matches and the only best game they show was against Australia but however they win 3 times like Turkey and it will be very exiting tomorrow

TUERKIYE TUERRKIYE TUERKIYE TUERKIYE

Prediction Hellas - Tuerkiye 78-80

I'll put Turkey in the top 10 in the world at best, with the following teams superior to them (in no particular order):

1. Hellas

2. Arg

3. Esp

4. SCG

5. LTU

6. USA

7. Ita

8. Rus

9. Ger

And top 10 doesn't mean too much in Basket where not many country have good teams, like for example in football. Top 5 or even 3 is where you need to be, and I think Hellas is there.

Is his injury that bad? Anyway he might come back for the knockout round?  :huh:

He appears to be out of the tournament.

Posted Image

Zisis was elbowed in the eye at the 26th minute and now will require surgery.

Edited by plato-ny

I'll put Turkey in the top 10 in the world at best, with the following teams superior to them (in no particular order):

1. Hellas

2. Arg

3. Esp

4. SCG

5. LTU

6. USA

7. Ita

8. Rus

9. Ger

wow!! Russia & Italy over Turkey!!?? that's quite strange I have to say because even with Kirilenkho they are desperate... and this Serbia team is a disaster!! we'll beat them any time.. :rolleyes:

I would put USA, Spain and Argentina as three favourites.. then it will be a group of four-five teams including Turkey, Greece, Slovenia, Lithuania and maybe France and Germany in no order.. but teams like Australia, Puerto Riko and Brazil cna cause upsets to these teams any day..

why tourkey in 9 place? why good they have done?

i think that tourkey isnot in first 20 teams in the world

usa

argentina

spain

lithouania(with jiasikevitsious)

greece

france

serbia

italy

germany

russia

slovenia