Phantis Forums

FIBA WORLD BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIPS

Once again on the TV front.

My understanding is that ErtSat does not have the rights for world broadcastong but I had someone call in Greece and they said that they may show some games in the US. Heir schedule still does not reflect this.

NBA TV: I cannot find the schedule for longer than the current day. So no clue about any games. Greece-Turkey someone said?

ESPN and/or NBA TV may show the elimination games... although I doubt they will show all of them.

Anyone has more concrete info?

Please post.

To: Plato-NY: are you in NY? How will you see the games?

D

Demspawn, I know for a fact that NBA TV (Raptors TV in the Great White North) will carry 27 games, of which only one will include Greece (vs. Turkey). Part of that 27: all elimination games, where we will get to see Greece again.

Other than that, ESPN2 will have all USA games, and maybe one of the Fox Sports channels too, but guaranteed NONE of them will carry any Greek games besides Greece-Turkey.

I checked ERTSat: not showing Greece's games this weekend at least (Saturday vs. Qatar and Sunday vs. Lithuania (which should be a dandy)).

I think all the preliminary Greece games will be on ERT's NET channel available, I believe, only in Greece. Nothing on ERTSat.

Edited by Nick99

Well after alot of consternation my worries are over.

Although not on the big screen I will be able to the watch the games from my laptop at my leisure...

Fiba site just added a link for a all-access pass to all games with ability to stream live and also download on demand for only 16 USD!! (20 after the 19th).

I just bought it!!

D

Once again on the TV front.

My understanding is that ErtSat does not have the rights for world broadcastong but I had someone call in Greece and they said that they may show some games in the US. Heir schedule still does not reflect this.

NBA TV: I cannot find the schedule for longer than the current day. So no clue about any games. Greece-Turkey someone said?

ESPN and/or NBA TV may show the elimination games... although I doubt they will show all of them.

Anyone has more concrete info?

Please post.

To: Plato-NY: are you in NY? How will you see the games?

D

ERT SAT or online.

Posted Image

Greece thrash Germany to win Stankovic Cup

NANJING (Stankovic Cup/FIBA World Championship) - European champions Greece blitzed Germany 84-47 to win the Stankovic Cup on Tuesday, a result that is sure to send shockwaves around their FIBA World Championship rivals.

In what was a superb team performance, Greece shared the scoring around with Vasileios Spanoulis being the game's leading contributor with 12 points.

Lazaros Papadopoulos and Antonios Fotsis were the only other Greek players to score in double figures, pouring in 11 and 10 points respectively.

For Germany, Johannes Herber paced his side with 10 points while superstar forward Dirk Nowitzki was only able to net nine points and haul down five rebounds in almost 25 minutes of action.

Greece had looked out of sorts in their Group A games at the Stankovic Cup, squeezing past outsiders Australia 68-60 in their first match and then losing 72-68 to France.

But those results were still enough for Panagiotis Yannakis' side to make it through to the title match, courtesy of their superior points difference.

Germany, meanwhile, made it through to the gold-medal match with a 100% record after recording victories against hosts China (82-73) and Brazil (76-75).

Form went out of the window in the final, though, with Greece demolishing their European rivals in what will be a major boost for the 2005 EuroBasket champions ahead of the FIBA World Championship.

In Japan, Greece have been drawn in Group C with an opening match against Qatar on Saturday. Germany meet Japan on the same day in their first game in Group B.

In the bronze-medal match at the Stankovic Cup, France beat Brazil 86-74.

Team USA overwhelming favorites to take FIBA World Championship - Aug. 17, 2006 - by Eurobasket News

With the 2006 FIBA World Basketball Championship beginning this weekend, the entire sports world wants to see if Team USA can return to basketball dominance and rebound from a disappointing bronze medal finish at the 2004 Summer Games. After outscoring their opponents by an average of 34 points in five exhibition wins, Coach K’s squad appears better suited for the international game than recent American teams and looks poised to capture gold in Japan. Entering the two-week long tournament after a successful exhibition season, Team USA has certainly made believers of bettors as PinnacleSports.com lists the team as overwhelming 4/11 favorites to win the 2006 World Basketball Championship.

The largest sports betting site on the Internet, PinnacleSports.com opened betting on the Worlds nearly two months ago and has seen unprecedented interest in the event. After originally opening as 5/8 favorites, the odds on Team USA winning gold have shortened as bettors continue to back the lineup of NBA stars. Heading into Japan fresh off nine straight warm-up victories, the Pau Gasol-led Spanish squad has been listed with the second-best quote to win the World Basketball Championship with odds of 8/1. Boasting a roster that includes four NBA players, reigning Olympic champions Argentina is currently 10/1 to capture gold at the Worlds, followed by European champions Greece at 16/1. Other leading contenders in the tournament include, Lithuania (28/1), France (30/1) and Serbia And Montenegro (30/1).

"The one question facing the Americans is if they’ll mesh as a team and share the ball, something that past teams had not done in international competition," said Simon Noble of PinnacleSports.com. "Coach K appears to have gotten his message across and the young superstars led by LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony and Dwayne Wade have bought into the game plan and embraced the team-first philosophy."

Despite winning the Americas championship in ’05 and giving the current USA squad a scare in exhibition, Brazil remains a 58/1 underdog to take the Worlds. While Germany may have the world’s best scorer on its roster in Dirk Nowitzki, PinnacleSports.com believes the supporting cast is lacking and lists the Germans as 79/1 long shots in Japan. Italy may have just captured their fourth soccer World Cup, but bettors are giving them little chance on the basketball court where the Azzuri are listed as 90/1 underdogs. PinnacleSports.com lists Yao Ming and China at 200/1, while host Japan is 400/1 to celebrate on their home court.

The way we've been performing lately, I honestly believe we can make it to the top three.

My dream situaton: Greece vs. USA in the final, with Greece nailing a 3 pointer in the last second to become world champions!

US television highlights showing all of America who the true basketball champs of the world are!

:gr: :gr: :gr:

The way we've been performing lately, I honestly believe we can make it to the top three.

My dream situaton: Greece vs. USA in the final, with Greece nailing a 3 pointer in the last second to become world champions!

US television highlights showing all of America who the true basketball champs of the world are!

:gr: :gr: :gr:

my dream situation:

Greece advanceing, USA advanceing meeting up in the next stage( which we will if we go through) Greece winning by a buzzer shot from Diamantidis.

Then again after a simple final, the USA and Greece meet in the semifinals...

This time Greece stopping the Circus with great DEFNESE and beating them by a nice 14 points, eliminating them so they dont take " whats rightfull thiers" and Sports illustrated, ESPN and the rest of the ignorant basketball fans and 'analysts' in that country can SHUTUP again, and make stupid excuses like "we werent trying, were still the best team"

and then in a 3rd place matchup for the bronze, Italy or Turkey beats USA by 7 points, leaving them so close to a medal, but left in their overated, ignorant reality yet again.

Greece goes on to meet the Spanish in the final, where in a great game of REAL basket ball for Americas "Ghetto Boyz" can watch and learn about TEAM play and organization. And Greece wins by 5 points to be World Champion.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

TEAM "USA" :tdown: :tdown: :tdown: :tdown:

england is so bizarre...

they have so many blacks, so many serbs, russians, greeks, italians, jews - all the great basketball ethnicities living there and yet they cant make ONE real basketball player....i think they have one guy but hes like american or somehting....

wouldnt worry about watching the Qatar match....it will not be so interesting.

england is so bizarre...

they have so many blacks, so many serbs, russians, greeks, italians, jews - all the great basketball ethnicities living there and yet they cant make ONE real basketball player....i think they have one guy but hes like american or somehting....

Still thoug I'd love to see all the games. Is there a reliable internet site where I can purchase the game?

Greece v Qatar

Hamamatsu (FIBA World Championship) - Greece have the look of world beaters going into their first game in Japan against Qatar but center Lazaros Papadopolous has warned his team-mates not to get carried away.

"We have to manage our success," he said.

The way Greece has played since their magnificent run at EuroBasket 2005, when they came from behind to beat Russia in the quarter-final, then stunned France in a semi with a late fightback before cruising past Germany in the gold medal game, suggests they can go very far.

Panagiotis Yannakis' team was full of unselfish players last year in Belgrade and with the addition of Olympiacos big man Sofoklis Schortsianitis, they look positively frightening.

"The confidence comes from last year’s success, but the team is maturing and also there is a special compliment - a lot of teams who admire us," Papadopolous said.

"That means that finally, the national team of Greece has a basketball identity."

Indeed, after a victory over France this summer, their point guard Tony Parker remarked that Greece were a model team, one that even Les Bleus should try to emulate.

Greece have excellent guards in Theo Papaloukas, Dimitrios Diamantidis, Nikos Zisis and Vasileios Spanoulis.

And they boast frontline players Michail Kakiouzis, Konstantinos Tsartsaris, Antonios Fotsis and Dimosthenis Ntikoudis.

Yannakis has an embarrassment of riches.

And Greece will not catch Qatar by surprise, that's for sure.

Qatar coach Joey Stiebing said: "They defend, and I’m a defensive oriented coach.

"They don’t really have any weaknesses. I think everyone else is looking up at Greece. I think they’ll be the guys who come out on top and the next three will be pretty even."

Qatar have are not expected to advance from the group, but they are capable of beating anyone an any given day.

It's a big ask going up against Greece, though.

One player who will have to do battle with the Greek big men, Mohammed Saleem, talked about the opponents.

"They are European champions, a tough, big-time basketball team," Saleem said.

"But we already know that. We’re going to do our best, scout these guys, try to contain them and take their keys away.

"But in the back of my mind, we have to be more focused, play a more complete game because these guys are good. We have to rebound, defend, everything. It starts from the warm-ups, even before the warm-ups. It has to be complete, from A to Z."

england is so bizarre...

Still thoug I'd love to see all the games. Is there a reliable internet site where I can purchase the game?
http://www.mediazone.com/channel/fiba/jsp/index.jsp#

Greece in last 4 FIBA World Cups

Group C Predictions

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sports Illustrated's Projected Top 8 (No Greece in Top 8 because they lack NBA presence. Wait until Greece surprises these arrogant American basketball writers)

1. UNITED STATES

Top players: SG Dwyane Wade, SF LeBron James, PG Gilbert Arenas

Skinny: The Americans must bond quickly; among the contenders, they will draw the toughest opponent in the knockout round of 16.

2. ARGENTINA

Top players: SG Manu Ginobili, PF Luis Scola, SF Andres Nocioni

Skinny: While the 26-year-old Scola will be out to prove he's NBA-worthy, this aging group will be hard-pressed to keep its edge after a half decade on top.

3. SPAIN

Top players: C Pau Gasol, SG Juan-Carlos Navarro, SF Jorge Garbajosa

Skinny: The Spaniards' nucleus has been together for several years, their backcourt is exceptional, and the versatile Gasol is a matchup nightmare.

4. FRANCE

Top players: PG Tony Parker, PF Boris Diaw, SF Mickaël Pietrus

Skinny: With the help of NBA big men Ronny Turiaf and Johan Petro, Les Bleus are capable of winning it all.

5. BRAZIL

Top players: SG Leandro Barbosa, PF Anderson Varejão, PF Tiago Splitter

Skinny: This young, skilled team could spend the next quadrennium contending for gold medals.

6. GERMANY

Top players: PF Dirk Nowitzki, C Patrick Femerling, PF Ademola Okulaja

Skinny: No opponent is safe against the unstoppable Nowitzki, who led Germany to a silver medal at last year's European championships.

7. LITHUANIA

Top players: SG Arvydas Macijauskas, PF Darius Songaila, SF Mindaugas Zukauskas

Skinny: Even without NBA sharpshooter Sarunas Jasikevicius, this deep team is capable of frightening the perennial powers.

8. SLOVENIA

Top players: PG Jaka Lakovic, SF Bostjan Nachbar, C Rasho Nesterovic

Skinny: With five NBA players (including C Primoz Brezec, PG Beno Udrih and rookie PF Uros Slokar) and scorers at every position, this tiny country (pop. 2 million) could be the tournament's Cinderella

The American Associated Press article on FIBA World Cup:

Can U.S. Dominate at World Championships

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Published: August 18, 2006

SAPPORO, Japan (AP) -- The last time the Americans won the world championships, it seemed they might never lose again.

That was way back in 1994, when the U.S. team tore through Toronto with an 8-0 record. Coming two years after the Dream Team's roll through the Barcelona Olympics with the same record, the Americans had won their first two major international competitions with NBA players by more than 40 points per game.

Not only was the United States back on top of the basketball world, but the gap appeared larger than ever.

''That was a special period in time, a special generation of players,'' USA Basketball managing director Jerry Colangelo said. ''That was then.''

The now is a list of recent results that are good, but well short of what's expected: third in the 1998 world championships, gold at the 2000 Olympics, sixth in the worlds in '02, third in the Athens Games two years ago.

Oddsmaker William Hill has the U.S. listed as the 2-to-5 favorite this time, and international stars Manu Ginobili and Dirk Nowitzki are among those who have said the U.S. is one of the teams to beat.

LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Carmelo Anthony and the rest of the Americans looked the part during exhibition play, winning their five games by an average of 34.2 points.

So is this the return to U.S. dominance?

Don't count on it.

The non-U.S. players no longer come to these events just to meet the Americans. The plan now is to beat them.

''I don't think you're ever going to see again a U.S. team that beats everyone else by a big margin. That was 15 years ago or whenever it was,'' Argentina's Ginobili said in a story on FIBA.com.

''Now basketball has changed and many of us are playing with them every single day, so we're getting closer. So you're not going to see a U.S. team, even though they are very good, beating everyone else by 30 points. That's part of the past.''

Argentina is one of the teams that made it that way. The Argentinians were the gold medalists in Athens and runners-up in the '02 worlds -- with victories over the U.S. during both events. Ginobili and Chicago's Andres Nocioni highlight one of the most experienced teams in the field.

But Argentina lost twice during exhibition play to Spain, which went 9-0 during warm-up play. Led by All-Star Pau Gasol, the Spaniards also were undefeated during pool play in Athens before the Americans played their best game of the tournament and knocked them off in the quarterfinals.

Greece, the 2005 European champion, and Lithuania are among the other top contenders in the 24-team field. France's hopes took a big hit before the start of the tournament when Spurs guard Tony Parker was forced out because of a broken finger.

Serbia and Montenegro appears too inexperienced to defend the consecutive world championships won by Yugoslavia in 1998 and '02, and the Germans lack the necessary help for Nowitzki after finishing third in Indianapolis four years ago.

The world championships were to begin Saturday at four sites in Japan. Playing in Group D, the Americans have one of the easiest brackets -- they routed opponents Puerto Rico and China during exhibition play -- and shouldn't be tested much before the field is reduced to 16 when the teams move to the Tokyo suburb of Saitama.

Argentina, France and Serbia and Montenegro are in a tougher Group A in Sendai -- along with a Lebanon team that will try to bring a bit of good news to a country in need of it. Greece, Brazil, Lithuania and Australia are part of a deep Group C in Hamamatsu.

For the Americans, the biggest roadblock again could come in the form of a zone defense.

Though they play it less against each other, international teams favor it as a way to slow the Americans, who have lacked reliable perimeter shooting during their recent struggles. Some opponents sat back in one for nearly all 40 minutes in Athens, where the U.S. shot 31 percent from 3-point range to tie for 10th in the 12-team tournament.

''For some reason, the world thinks it's cast a spell on American basketball by saying Americans can't play against a zone,'' U.S. coach Mike Krzyzewski said. ''I guess we'll see.''

The Americans seem better prepared to handle it this time after shooting 41 percent from behind the arc during exhibition play. But they struggled in their lone close game, going 10-for-29 in a 90-86 victory over Brazil.

''What's out there and our group needs to shatter, that is the U.S. can't play against a zone,'' Krzyzewski said. ''And I don't see why we shouldn't be able to do that. If we don't, then we haven't done a good job.''

They haven't always in the past: Fans in the United States -- where the world championships aren't treated as seriously as they are around the world -- might be surprised to know the Americans have won the title only three times in 14 tries since the event debuted in 1950.

Krzyzewski is back for another try at winning one after taking bronze in 1990. James, Wade and Anthony are also back in USA uniforms after they were part of the latest U.S. disappointment in Athens.

And they're intent on avoiding another one -- whether the wins come easily or not.

''In 2004, we didn't understand the significance of how big the Olympics were for the U.S. I think everybody felt like it wasn't as big as the NBA, which is not true,'' James said. ''I think every guy didn't have the right mind-set and as a team, we didn't come together.

''But it's a new day, it's a new age and I feel this team has the right ingredients, has the right nucleus and guys are really prepared and know what's at stake -- to win the world championship.''

Greece in last 4 FIBA World Cups

Group C Predictions

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sports Illustrated's Projected Top 8 (No Greece in Top 8 because they lack NBA presence. Wait until Greece surprises these arrogant American basketball writers)

1. UNITED STATES

Top players: SG Dwyane Wade, SF LeBron James, PG Gilbert Arenas

Skinny: The Americans must bond quickly; among the contenders, they will draw the toughest opponent in the knockout round of 16.

2. ARGENTINA

Top players: SG Manu Ginobili, PF Luis Scola, SF Andres Nocioni

Skinny: While the 26-year-old Scola will be out to prove he's NBA-worthy, this aging group will be hard-pressed to keep its edge after a half decade on top.

3. SPAIN

Top players: C Pau Gasol, SG Juan-Carlos Navarro, SF Jorge Garbajosa

Skinny: The Spaniards' nucleus has been together for several years, their backcourt is exceptional, and the versatile Gasol is a matchup nightmare.

4. FRANCE

Top players: PG Tony Parker, PF Boris Diaw, SF Mickaël Pietrus

Skinny: With the help of NBA big men Ronny Turiaf and Johan Petro, Les Bleus are capable of winning it all.

5. BRAZIL

Top players: SG Leandro Barbosa, PF Anderson Varejão, PF Tiago Splitter

Skinny: This young, skilled team could spend the next quadrennium contending for gold medals.

6. GERMANY

Top players: PF Dirk Nowitzki, C Patrick Femerling, PF Ademola Okulaja

Skinny: No opponent is safe against the unstoppable Nowitzki, who led Germany to a silver medal at last year's European championships.

7. LITHUANIA

Top players: SG Arvydas Macijauskas, PF Darius Songaila, SF Mindaugas Zukauskas

Skinny: Even without NBA sharpshooter Sarunas Jasikevicius, this deep team is capable of frightening the perennial powers.

8. SLOVENIA

Top players: PG Jaka Lakovic, SF Bostjan Nachbar, C Rasho Nesterovic

Skinny: With five NBA players (including C Primoz Brezec, PG Beno Udrih and rookie PF Uros Slokar) and scorers at every position, this tiny country (pop. 2 million) could be the tournament's Cinderella

There is no end to these Yanks' arrogance...and no limit to their disdain for Greeks, or rather for anything that is unfamiliar to them.

I hope we hand their asses to them. Or if we don't somebody else, please.

england is so bizarre...

http://www.mediazone.com/channel/fiba/jsp/index.jsp#
Thanks Plato-NY, it doesnt appear to be working though. I'm so gutted I cant get to see the games only in England can they not show the Basketball world cup! Ridiculous!