Phantis Forums

FIBA WORLD BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIPS

Some one had critized Greece earlier in the discussion about shooting poorly, and scroing much.

I think that Greece's stregnth on this team is defense, they usually have low scoring games. This is the nature of their tactics, look at the teams the played during euro 2005 and how they won. Teams who cannot score on them lose by heavy margins. We have to rember that international basketball is not NBA and most matches are low scoring.

Personally I think this basketball may not be as talented as the other teams in the past however!!! They have a great amount of depth, youth, heart and potential somthing unfortunately our soccer team is lacking from what I can see.

I think we will be very sucessful at the world cup.

This team is the CURRENT European champion and were the YOUNGEST team in Eurobasket 2005. We are ranked 8th in the world. This team has more talent than you think.

Shooting Guard Diamantidis voted best defender in Europe last 2 years and was current MVP of Greek league, one of the Top 5 best in Europe.

Point guard Papaloukas: was voted mvp of Eurobasket 2005 final, MVP of Russian league, was an important part of CSKA Moscow winning the Euroleague championship, was voted to the all-Euroleague first team, and was voted best domestic player of Euroleague

Small forward/shooting guard Spanoulis: just signed with the Houston Rockets and was voted to the all-Euroleague second team

Papadopoulos and Fotsis: were important players in leading dinamo moscow to the ULEB Cup.

Other players on the team play in Spain and Italy and both have outstanding leagues. So, our team is quite talented and one of the favs in FIBA World Cup.

i can not see the game but this is what i found.

http://www.sportaction.gr/document.php?cat...cument_id=43120

Who is the black guy? Is he Greek (born in Greece) or did he just get a passport?
He is Greek on his father side and Cameroon on his mothers side.He speaks fluent Greek and English

Parker superb but Greece win in Athens over France

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

ATHENS (FIBA World Championship) - Greece clinched first place in the Acropolis Tournament with an impressive win over fellow FIBA World Championship side France on Wednesday.

In a replay of last year's EuroBasket semi-final, which Greece won after mounting a big comeback with less than 50 seconds remaining, the Greeks won 70-56.

The defeat was the first of the summer for France's top side as they prepare for Group A action later this month in the Far East against Argentina, Serbia & Montenegro, Venezuela, Nigeria and Lebanon.

France started better and built a 15-8 lead by the end of the first quarter, however, the hosts clawed their way back and trailed 29-27 at half-time.

Panagiotis Yannakis' team then took a 49-39 lead with 10 minutes remaining and ultimately prevailed.

Tony Parker, who has been in excellent form for France, had 20 points in defeat to lead all scorers. He was eight of 12 from the field, including two of five from three-point range.

Vasileios Spanoulis, who has signed a deal to play for the Houston Rockets next season, scored 11 for Greece.

France committed 27 turnovers in the contest to just 15 for Greece. The French outrebounded their hosts 40-36.

Greece are in Group C of the FIBA World Championship and will face Turkey, Qatar, Australia, Lithuania and Brazil.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://contra.gr/Basketball/World/Mundobas...nce/125980.html

darkhorse- you have a czech gf, you live in sweden!, and you standards are still low enough to say that chick is hot???? :blink: :blink: :P

Iraklis- i agree our defense is probably the best....i get upset though when they screw around making tons of stupid turnovers, lousy shots like they did in the first halfs vs Italy and France

I watcehd the team USA play and crushPuerto Rico......but it is Puerto Rico.....within seconds these guys stilll have the circus mentality, rather than making an intelligent decision they try to do an ally-oop and all this trick crap :LOL:

but they are still very good shooters which will make everything difficult...

ah thats not what i meant...... ;)

im saying having a czech gf (usually czech girlfriends= very hot, ) and being surrounded by hot women, i wouldnt think you would be able to find anastasia kostaki hot since you have so many better around you.....i dont think Kostaki is that hot....but ill admit shes had better pictures...

if you want to see hot greek chick/athletes chek out Efi Sfiri and the womens volley team..... :la:

Some one had critized Greece earlier in the discussion about shooting poorly, and scroing much.

I think that Greece's stregnth on this team is defense, they usually have low scoring games. This is the nature of their tactics, look at the teams the played during euro 2005 and how they won. Teams who cannot score on them lose by heavy margins. We have to rember that international basketball is not NBA and most matches are low scoring.

Personally I think this basketball may not be as talented as the other teams in the past however!!! They have a great amount of depth, youth, heart and potential somthing unfortunately our soccer team is lacking from what I can see.

I think we will be very sucessful at the world cup.

But is the defense strong enough to keep out the great attacking sides (U.S.A, Argentina, Lithuania, etc) OR will it be another experience like the Olympic Games?

i looked at both and their not that hot fellas...i dunno just my opinion........

their biggest strength is their shooting ability, these guys can hit the outside shots far better than most other teams....however, defense, organization and mentality they arent that great, like i said they are used to playing circus ball.....if theyre on a good shooting day, unless we have one too theres no chance...

I prey this will not be another Olympic DISASTER.

Bourousis let go as Greece squad takes shape

ATHENS (FIBA World Championship) - Greece coach Panagiotis Yannakis has axed center Yannis Bourousis as he begins to trim his squad for the FIBA World Championship.

Greece currently have 15 players and can only take 12 to the FIBA World Championship.

Yannakis will make one more cut before the squad travels to China to continue its preparations for Japan 2006.

"Yannis Bourousis will not continue because he is heading for a difficult preparation for the new season with Olympiacos," Yannakis said.

"One more player will be cut before we leave for China."

Yannakis’ decision to move forward without Bourousis is a testament to the national team’s depth.

Bourousis was a reserve in last year’s EuroBasket gold medal winning side. Eleven members of that squad are still in the group.

The European champions are in fine form ahead of World Championship tip-off in two weeks` time.

On Wednesday night they beat France 70-56 to win the Acropolis Tournament in Athens, having previously beaten Italy and Croatia in the event.

"The players will continue and they want to play good basketball like we have done at the Acropolis Tournament," Yannakis said.

"The victory against France was also a win that the fans wanted to see and we can take lots of positives from the game.

"The improvement of our game is clear to see, the players are moving faster and are thinking quicker.

"This takes a lot of time and practice to get right and everyone is working hard. There is never enough time."

Greece are in Group C at the FIBA World Championship with Australia, Lithuania, Turkey, Brazil and Qatar.

The top four sides will advance to the eighth-finals, with the team that comes fourth likely to face Group D favourites Team USA in the first elimination round game.

France star Tony Parker believes Greece should be considered one of the favourites for the World Championship but Yannakis is playing down his side`s chances.

"We know that we are not the dream team," he said.

"We are a good side but there are also many other good teams out there."

Greece preliminary squad (three to be cut): Papaloukas, Spanoulis, Zisis, Vasilopoulos, Fotsis, Chatzivrettas, Ntikoudis, Tsartsaris, Diamantidis, Papadopoulos, Kakiouzis, Papamakarios, Schortsanitis, Kyritsis, Mavrokefalidis.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spanoulis concentrating on FIBA World Champs

ATHENS (FIBA World Championship) - Vasilis Spanoulis insists his dream move to the NBA is the furthest thing from his mind as he prepares for Greece`s assault on the FIBA World Championship.

The 23-year-old guard signed a three-year deal with the Houston Rockets last week but wants to add a world title to his CV before he arrives in Texas.

"I haven't thought about going to the NBA yet," he said.

"At this time, I am with the national team and I am thinking of nothing else. We go to Japan as champions of Europe and we will give our best to do what we can.

"Our objective is the world title."

Greece warmed up for the August 19 tip-off in style, with a 70-56 over France winning them their own Acropolis Tournament in Athens.

It was a repeat of their dramatic EuroBasket 2005 semi-final victory over the French and led France star Tony Parker to name them among the favourites for the World Championship.

But Spanoulis` team-mates Michalis Kakiouzis and Nikos Zisis are playing down the significance of their third successive win against the French.

Kakiouzis said: "It's not important to win or lose a warm-up tournament at this stage. These games are friendlies. What is important is to improve our overall play."

Benetton Treviso guard Zisis believes there will be more work to do as the squad continue their preparations in China.

"The tournament was one big test with three good games," he said. "We still have room for improvement. Now we have a few days' rest and then it's back to work again."

Coach Panagiotis Yannakis will cut one more player from his squad before the China trip, having already trimmed the party to 15 with the axing of center Yannis Bourousis.

His final squad must be further amended to 12 players.

Greece are in Group C at the World Championship with Australia, Lithuania, Turkey, Brazil and Qatar.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Schortsianitis fitting in nicely with Greece

ATHENS (FIBA World Championship) - Greece starlet Sofoklis Schortsianitis has thanked his team-mates for helping him settle so quickly into the national team set-up.

The 21-year-old center is set for his first major international tournament when the FIBA World Championship tips off in Japan in two weeks’ time after making great strides at Olympiacos this season.

“From day one, I felt good in this team,” Schortsianitis said. “All my team-mates made me feel I belong in this team with them and I thank them for that.”

Schortsianitis helped European champions Greece clinch the Acropolis Tournament in Athens this week following victories over Italy and France.

“Until now, I liked most the game against Italy, because it was hard, but we showed what we can do,” the power forward added.

Schortsianitis was not a member of the EuroBasket-winning side but feels the prestige of his country being champions of Europe.

“Greece are the European champions and must go to Japan as a champion,” he said

“But we have to keep on with the good and hard work, to be modest, to do what we do with love and passion. I think this is the best recipe, isn’t it?”

Schortsianitis look to have a bright future ahead of him. He was selected by the LA Clippers in the 2003 NBA draft and recently signed a contract extension with Olympiacos until 2010.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Papaloukas, Greece looking for consistency

Posted Image

ATHENS (FIBA World Championship) - Greece’s EuroBasket 2005 gold medal in Belgrade has elevated expectations for this year’s FIBA World Championship, but star guard Theo Papaloukas is ignoring all predictions.

Papaloukas, who was the MVP of the Euroleague Final Four with CSKA Moscow, was arguably the best performer for his country in Belgrade, as well as their Olympic campaign in which they reached the quarter-finals in Athens in 2004.

He will now look to provide the same consistent level of performance in Japan.

"We don't care what people say about us being a great team and all that," he said.

"Our goal is to play well at any time. If we manage to do that, then in Japan we can reach a very high level once more. But only if we work hard and if we manage to play good basketball."

Greece coach Panagiotis Yannakis saw his side impress in the recent Acropolis Tournament - recording victories over France, Italy, and Croatia - but knows that competition will be intense once the FIBA World Championship tips off on August 19.

"The title from Belgrade puts extra pressure on us. That is true," he said. "We expect every game to be close for 37 minutes in Japan.

"In previous years we were lacking confidence. Now it's different. But we have to keep in mind that any team can lose in the knock-out games. I am happy because all my players are in good mood and ready to work hard any time.

"It is very encouraging that they want to do something more for basketball in Greece."

Center Dimosthenis Ntikoudis, who has emerged as a key man for his country in the last few seasons, has been left inspired by the crowds from the Acropolis Tournament.

"We have only positive things to say after our last six friendly games," he said.

"In the Acropolis Tournament, we were better than the other teams, but we all know we can play even better.

"It was very nice for us to play in Athens and to see all these fans.

"It was a great push for us. They gave us a good reason to fight even harder for a good finish in Japan."

the us sucks..they barely beat brazil.............i think greece, serbia, and argentina will be the three medalists in no particular order...................

Brazil is the South American champion so they are no pushover. Serbia is not that strong right now. They are missing key players and did not do well in Eurobasket 2005 which was held in Serbia. But, you never know. I think Lithunia, Italy, Spain, France, and Germany have legitimate shots as well. Edited by plato-ny

The 2nd annual FIBA Stankovic Continental Champion Cup in Nanjing (August 10 ~ 15) will take place with the teams Brazil, Greece, Australia, France, and Germany before the World Championship commences August 19th.

Division A: Greece, Australia, France

Division B: China, Germany, Brazil

11/8

Edited by plato-ny

Someone wrote on this thread that ErtSat will be televising the games.

I went to their site and checked the schedule and although Ert has the games on schedule ErtSat does not, which is really worrying me!

I am swithcing to Satellite TV to get ErtSat just for the games and if they do not broadcast it I will be very upset...

Anyone with any answers? I already e-maild ertsat and they did not answe back yet. Still no change in their schedule. The greek soccer games are there nevertheless.

Thanx.

D

Also NBA TV may show some games but I do not know which ones...

Someone wrote on this thread that ErtSat will be televising the games.

I went to their site and checked the schedule and although Ert has the games on schedule ErtSat does not, which is really worrying me!

I am swithcing to Satellite TV to get ErtSat just for the games and if they do not broadcast it I will be very upset...

Anyone with any answers? I already e-maild ertsat and they did not answe back yet. Still no change in their schedule. The greek soccer games are there nevertheless.

Thanx.

D

Also NBA TV may show some games but I do not know which ones...

I believe ERT will televise ALL Greek NT matches, that is between their ET1, ET3, and NET channels.

ERTSat may carry some of these, but as I looked at Saturday's schedule, I noticed the first match at least (Greece-Qatar) will NOT be on ERTSat. I'm trying to find out whether Odyssey OTN, which is a Toronto-based satellite channel, will have any of the games.

I know for a fact that the only Greek NT game shown on NBA TV (known as Raptors TV in Canada) is the Greece-Turkey match as well as the elimination matches they will likely qualify for.

I like Hellas' chances. They crushed Croatia, beat France and Italy (which are very good teams), beat SCG(?) (or barely lost to them). They can beat anybody, I think, even the US, especially by virtue of their brilliant defensive play, the way they block shots and force turnovers, and the intelligence of guys like Diamantidis and Papaloukas (I love this guy's blind passes and tricky dribbling).

In answer to an earlier question, the black guy is Schortianitis, I believe Greek-born. He must be decent to have been drafted by a NBA team. Eight pts in a close-fought match versus France in the Acropolis tourney is respectable, plus supposedly he gets a lot of boards.

Zito Ellas!

Wow! What a drubbing we inflicted on poor Germany. The defense is phenomenal, but what about the offense? 84 pts is no small feat in international B-ball. Also, what amazing balance, I believe Spanoulis led all Greek scorers with 12, how rare is that when your side scores 84?

Greece defeated Germany 84-47 and won the Stankovic Cup. Greece is looking very good in the friendlies. Greece has won 2 friendly tournaments and is looking very good. They also looked very good in Italy when they defeted Italy and Croatia and lost to the World Champs, Serbia, by 4 points.

Vote Yes for Greece to win the FIBA World Cup

Vote Yes for Greece to win the FIBA World Cup in comparison to other teams.

Edited by plato-ny