Phantis Forums

ERA sport

I have been wanting to post a few thoughts about ERA sport, which is funded by the Greek taxpayer's money regardless of location, for a while now, i'm doing it now as i found a bit of time.

ERA sport are supposed to:

Offer an impartial view on the greek sports scenery

Respect all greek fans and clubs

Implement objectivity and justice when covering events

Spread/divide air time in a way that reflects current achievement of the various teams

Now,

Why do they always start their programmes with Olympikos

Why panathinaikos and Aek are always to follow

Why Paok comes forth followed by the rest

Why Xanthi - top of the league and the most consistent of the teams- are hardly ever mentioned

Why there is ALWAYS shortage of time when reporting from thessaloniki about the north of greece teams.

Why the “Xoris 090” (later in the night greek time) broadcast, styles its self as a programme for all fans, when all they talk about is Olympikos and Panathinaikos (maybe aek VERY rarely). Did you know that the little programme description on the ERA web site refers to it as Olympiakos-panathinaikos forum?

Why there is plenty of programmes throughout the week and indeed every day about Panathinaikos , Olympiakos while there is nothing similar for other teams say Iraklis, Paok, Larissa etc.

Why all the ERA sport sportscasters happen to be supporters of either Panathinaikos or Olympiakos.

Why do they always seem to side with them two, when talking about controversies in games against other teams

Are they not been paid by the greek taxpayers money, regardelss of where they live?

Do they not represent an impartial sports reporting authority?

Is it right that the have vested interests in Athens clubs while being civil servants?

Do they not have an equal duty to fulfil to all greek sports fans?

Why do we all shut our eyes and ears to that and be just happy to go with the flow?

They seem to serve, if not be a part of, the tumour in the greek sport community and the society as a whole. They serve and promote the established ideas and stereotypes causing massive damage to greek soccer, basketballl etc. The results obvious... teams that don't deserve to represent Greece in international football, but nonetheless are assisted by the above described situations, get the ticket guaranteed every season to the chap league for instance, get badly humiliated and with them an entire nation within greece and beyond are humiliated as well.

What is the connection between Olympikos and state functions? Why is olympikos called the "dimosiou" (state) team. Is all this a coincidence?

What we need from era sport is courage, freshness, justice and constructive criticism. That's their role as the state radio, as the independent state journalist authority.

Today, earlier this morning, a panathinaikos and an olympiakos sportscasters were arguing about the number of journalists and TV people generally speaking supporting the 2 teams. They could not agree on the ratio, but of course they admitted that over 95% are supporters of the above 2 teams. Ridiculous, discussing, unacceptable. A journalistic and sports reporting fascism!

I'm sure that every healthy minded greek sports fan, incl. fans of Olympiakos and Panathinaikos would agree with the above. If we want an improvement in our competitiveness in international competitions, if what we want is a general and genuine improvement in athleticism in Greece, if what we need is justice and respect for all clubs and their fans, then we must identify and fiercely criticise these hick -ups, the puppets of ERA sport, remnants of a different, dated philosophy of modern state functions. :tdown:

mpasketikos, I agree with everything you said. That is one major reason why I no longer listen to ERA Sport on regular basis. The only time I will listen to them is on Saturday/Sunday mornings, when they have live play-by-play of the league games. And even then they turn me off with the constant stoixima scores, which take a lot of time from the live coverage of the games.

at Basketikos,

your comment is very good

your evidence quite convincing

i sympathise a lot with its critical stand and general critical spirit.

however, i would add some sceptical comments...

mainly about any exaggerating elements in your analysis, e.g. causal links, such as when you state that all this is a cause of major problem in greek sports.

i 'd say era sport etc. is a symptom (which probably reinforces) but nevertheless a symptom of a decaying and yet complex reality.

(complex, since i've heard some good intelligent comments there too, even if arguably these are not the mainstream picture, which is clearly poor, biased and silly as you described it.

...think also that: isn't that biased and naive picture a reflection of the majority of its listeners..

...and ok, we can demand some intelligent leadership, especially from a state channel... but can we demand something totally disassociated from its context? :).

===

people,

keep the good posts coming.

keep our thinking minds busy

yet, let's not be overdramatic :)

PEOPLE GET USED TO IT....

THERE ARE MORE RED FANS IN GREECE THEN ANY OTHER TEAM...

JUST LIKE THE FWS TON SPORT HAS A FIRST PAGE ALMOST EVERYDAY WITH A OLYMPIACOS HEADLINE...

WHEN BARCELONA TIED PAO IN OAKA, THE NEXT DAY, THE FWS HAD OLYMPIACOS IN LYON AS THEIR FIRST PAGE WITH A SMALL SECTION TO PAO TYING BARCELONA WHICH AS YOU NOW KNOW WAS A GREAT RESULT...

GREENS AND AEK FANS GET USED TO IT, THERE ARE MORE GAVROI THEN ANYTHING ELSE SO THEY HAVE TO PROMOTE THE POPULARITY RATHER THEN MAKE MOST OF THEIR LISTENERS UNHAPPY..

JESUS CHRIST, THIS IS SOOOOO UNIMPORTANT

LATER

Mpasketike,

I am indebted to Mr Kokkalhs for sacrificing his personal wellbeing for my team; I assume PAO fans feel the same way about Mr Bardinogiannhs. The poor journalists supporting them do nothing more than recognising their unselfish involvement in greek life. And the people paying for all this want more…

Ziaka i don't listen to ERA sport at all any more either, every time i give them the benefit of the doubt- they CONFIRM MY DOUBTS.

To touch on the comments above, some of us see ghosts, others feel indebted to Kokalis etc. Good, try to return the deeds then. Some, see Kokakalis and Bardynogiannis etc involvement in football as unselfish, therefore noble. Good, what a nice expression of altruism... :huh:

My comment is about the national sports broadcasting authority and whether they implement the principles they ought to be serving. I agree that ERA sport was not the cause but rather the symptom. ERA, in time, however started to play an important role as servants of this ill-conceived idea of journalistic expression, supporting and promoting stereotypes, thus becoming part of the problem.

Kokalis has a vested interest in Olumpiakos just as Panopoulos has a vested interest in Xanthi. They are doing their jobs. Whether Kokalis is a transparent figure in greek soccer and society, it's a different topic altogether and not necessarily highly relevant here.

ERA on the other hand, are paid by the greek taxpayer to PROTECT athleticism in greece, RESPECT all clubs and their fans and implement IMPARTIALITY and OBJECTIVITY. I'm sure that at the moment they are very pleasant to the ears of some fans, obviously because they give them what the want.

I, also, have the right to listen to the national radio, but i'm pushed away consciously. I have no demands from say SPORTS FM or Metropolis FM because they target a certain audience and they try to please their clientele. When i listen to them i'm prepared.

ERA sport should want to please and above all respect ALL fans and clubs because that's why they exist.

Thinking and talking about ERA i should also say that with the technology of the modern era and the facilities of ERA around the country, i find it peculiar to say the least that they don't have live broadcasts and scheduled daily programmes from station bases outside Athens!

PEOPLE GET USED TO IT....

THERE ARE MORE RED FANS IN GREECE THEN ANY OTHER TEAM...

JUST LIKE THE FWS TON SPORT HAS A FIRST PAGE ALMOST EVERYDAY WITH A OLYMPIACOS HEADLINE...

WHEN BARCELONA TIED PAO IN OAKA, THE NEXT DAY, THE FWS HAD OLYMPIACOS IN LYON AS THEIR FIRST PAGE WITH A SMALL SECTION TO PAO TYING BARCELONA WHICH AS YOU NOW KNOW WAS A GREAT RESULT...

GREENS AND AEK FANS GET USED TO IT, THERE ARE MORE GAVROI THEN ANYTHING ELSE SO THEY HAVE TO PROMOTE THE POPULARITY RATHER THEN MAKE MOST OF THEIR LISTENERS UNHAPPY..

JESUS CHRIST, THIS IS SOOOOO UNIMPORTANT

LATER

Of course FOS always has Olympiakos headlines...it is a newspaper for Olympiakos fans. For independant sports papers, look to Sportime and Filathlos.

Mpasketikos, I agree with you 100%, but don't expect it to change. Even national brodcasters rely on advertising revenue, and the big teams bring in the big ratings which bring in the big revenues, I'm afraid. There may be other reasons in Greece, but usually it's the same thing as it is in other countries...money.

• 4 months later...

What is the role of a journalist/ reporter? purely to present information or to investigate as well?

In Greek soccer for instance and with regards to the complaints about the performance of the refs/ dismissals etc, when the trend continuous over several seasons with the same outcomes - same champion every year, same team favoured by the so-called errors- can we still talk about coincidence?

Have ERA sport checked the facts? Do they serve the purpose they supposedly safeguard? Are they not supposed to be instrumental in the cleansing of our soccer, basketball, volleyball, water polo etc?

Why Iraklis Volleyball club was hardly mentioned in its epic advance to the final of the champions league? Does this happen every day?

We must all be demanding and we have the right to be so, this is the National broadcast service we are talking about financially supported by the taxpayer.

MPASKETIKE KSEKINA NA GRAFEIS TIPOTA STA ELLHNIKA KI ASE TA PARAPONA GIA THN ERA-SPORT !!! TO EXETE KATANTHSEI TO FORUM AHDIA , AFOY KSERETE OLOI ELLHNIKA GIATI GRAFETAI SYNEXEIA STA AGGLIKA REEEE ??? NA EINAI KAPOIO PAIDI 2HS KAI 3HS GENIAS KAI NA RWTHSEI KATI STA AGGLIKA EPEIDH DEN KSEREI TH GLWSSA MAS POLY KALA , TO KATALABAINW , ALLA ESEIS EDW GIA PIO LOGO TETOIO KOLLHMA ME TA AGGLIKA ??? KSEKOLATE EPITELOYS .....

Dystihos osoi zoune stin Ellada kai osoi parakolouthoun apo konta to ti paizei kato

xeroun tin aleithia.Ellada einai mono i Athina.Emeis den yparhoume.Kai to heirotero einai oti den tous endiaferei(tous athinaious kai ta media) i ypoloipi Ellada.To xerame,to xeroume kai tha to xeroume.Kai min stenahoriese gia tous forous Mpasketike gia tin ERA mpasketike,edo olokliri Olympiada plironoume horis na xeroume giati

File kalampaki

that's another useful topic for discussion - The bill for the Olympic games - are you suggesting that the 2 problems have a common route? That's interesting.

Can i also take the opportunity to say that the choice of expression should not be challenged and must be respected. I'm under the impression that all we are doing here is to share views and debate in a polite and civilised manner. Correct me where i'm wrong. Polite requests will always be given consideration, when possible.

filika

Eheis apolyto dikio file mou.Kai den ithela na allaxo to thema.Ego symfono mazi sou gia tin ERA,aplos episimano oti to lathos xekinaei apo polla alla kai ohi mono apo to radiofono.Gia paradeigma na sou po,otan imoun pitsirikas mia topiki efimerida apo ton poli mou(Drama) ekane Galop stin Athina rotontas perastikous gia to pou vriketai i poli mou kai to 70% den ixere.!!!De leo mikri poli eimaste alla pros theou.Kai den katigoro tous Athinaious,den einai kakoi,den einai k

Pali psiloxefyga apo to thema,eipa ta dika mou pali,alla elpizo na katalaveneis giati einai ena thema pou me ponaei.O misos plythismos tou nomou apo opou katagomai einai prosfyges stin Germania.Kai ehei kai kamia 5etia pou arhizei na feygei kai o allos misos stin Athina kai tin Thessaloniki.Sto telos tha mazeytoume oloi se 2 poleis kai tha ginoume san tin arhaiotita more poleis-krati.

...every contribution to the forum is welcome, however opinions are better that rumbling. One day we may all be able to express thoughts rather that bark...

I'm glad that some of us feel uneasy about this topic - they satisfy statistics!

Kalampaki, i was not aware of all this, i have no reason to doubt what you said, are you sure you have the figures/facts right?

very sad indeed - anyway i think you are right about keeping this forum focused on the topic of era.

an se prizei to thema alani,grapse gia kati allo pou se endiaferei i aploustata min to koitas,min asholeise.Kai an eheis esy neyra de hreiazete na prizeis esy tous allous oute na tous ypovathmizeis me onomatakia.Ektos an den eisai enilikos vevaia kai eisai kana paidaki kai mas prizeis gia na peraseis tin ora sou

For the avoidance of doubt this for the member Hellas-Kipros Enosis,

your latest comment had a clear destination and i could take an offence in your choice of speech. If this is your intention, let me say that i and i hope most of us in the forums, do not welcome such comments, certainly in this specific topic that i took the time to open and maintain over the past several months now.

I'm afraid you 've put yourself out of any constructive exchange of thoughts and debate, certainly in this forum and i hope in all phantis forums.

The purpose of this topic is very clear, i and other contributors, have not offended individuals, this is your sad exclusivity.

I cannot teach you manners, but I would only encourage you to stay in the forum, if you changed your manner and stayed focused on the topic please... and this is a polite request.

Telemachos good to see you back in the forum...

Watch this space, i'm planning to update the topic regularly!!

Regards to all

Archived