Phantis Forums

Kostikos the coach

Ziaka

PAE PAOK has decided to keep Georgios Kostikos as the coach of the team until the end of the season. This means that there is no longer a search for a new coach for the time being.

Here is the official announcement from PAOKFC.gr:

H

I think that's a good decision. We've already had a coaching change this year, and Kostikos knows the players, so lets see what he can do with them.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to give props to Kostikos (for his coaching so far this season).

Now looking back, I'm glad he became head coach and not Lothar Mattheaus.

He took a team that was in disarray and struggling, and changed it to a team that's looking cohesive and playing with confidence. Since he's taking over as head coach for PAOK, he has 3 wins, 2 draws, and no losses in the Greek League. In the UEFA cup he has 1 draw and one loss (his only loss so far).

We've gone from playing like crap, to confidently winning games. To me the turning point was when we somehow managed to hold on to our tie against Metalurgh, and progress to the group stages of the Uefa Cup. The comeback win against Oly was huge too. This team seems like its really starting to jell, bravo re Kostikos, and bravo to the players for picking things up, and not letting the poor start to this season get to them psychologically.

Keys to his success has been:

-Knowing the team and its players for over a year now. He scouted some of the younger players himself, and knows their strengths and weaknesses.

-Playing a 4-4-2 with Meicel, and Salp up front. As opposed to Karageorgiou leaving Salp all by himself up front.

-Developing and playing the younger players on the team. This has also created depth on the bench.

-Making substitutions at key points, allowing us to come back in a couple of games.

-Playing Fernandez as goalie instead of Tchoroglou (this alone has helped us greatly)

-Playing with a more attacking attitude, and pushing up more. This in turn has produced more goals. (I think this has to do with Kostikos being a great forward himself in his prime!)

-Coaching with a calm and collected attitude, taking one game at a time.

I know it's early, but I got a good feeling about this season....

Go PAOK and Kostikos! Keep it up!!! :box:

Nikolaos

i very much liked your analysis i think you said it all.

It is still early days however and i wonder whether Kostikos can keep coming up with the goodies till the end of the season and beyond. No doubt a couple of negative results will frustrate the fans and everybody else - it will then bounce back to Kostikos.

Kostikos has been the technical manager prior to his current role with a considerable success, certainly when it came to scouting and strategic planning. My only worry now is that, if he doesn't manage to be successful as a head coach by the end of the season, there is a good chance, knowing the greek reality, that he will not be going back to his old post either. And that would certainly be a loss.

I wish him every success as head coach, i think his performance so far is very convincing and i hope he stays with the team for many years to come. Don't forget he is one of Paok's greatest legends together with Koudas, Sarafis and a few others.

I just hope they keep him till the end of the season at least. He has gotten some good results and the team seems to be playing well. Although there is still room for improvement.

It seems lately that only greek coaches can help paok including bajevich in there. All foreing coaches come for the money and are unable to get results with our players. Most have been a waste of time and money.

I wish the team would settle down and perform at a decent level for a few years for a change instead of going up and down and all over the place within 1 year's time or less.

Yesterday I said that we should keep kostikos till the end of the season. But now I have my doubts.

As to his judgment to rest seven regulars in addtion to mietchel and Vagelis. This loss was due to a lack of good judgment on the coaches part.

They had a few good results andthen they think they can beat Agrotikos Asteras with the second team. Agrotikos asteras had avery good team the last couple years and I believe got relegated due to penalties rather than ability. Kostikos should have known that.

Or he probably did know but fell in love with himself and the teams so called accomplishments rather then facts, and decided to rest practically the first team.

• 4 weeks later...

That's something I've been asking myself as well lately. Where the hell is Shikabala? This kid always makes things happen when he's on the field. Wasn't it Kostikos who went to Egypt, scouted him, and convinced PAOK's board to buy him?

We all saw the phenomenal plays he was able to put together in the pre-season and in the few games he has played. Why not now?

• 2 months later...

Archived