Phantis Forums

AUSTRALIA V URAGUAY

Is that the best you can do? Next time think about what your saying before you say it. Save yourself the embarassment.

hestika :rolleyes: .....

before u open ur pie gap maybe u should look at ur beloved Greece, the league has turned into a bordello and the national team didnt make the world cup.

Oh and speaking of bandwagoners only 10,000 people turned up to watch Greece what happen to all the other people?

did YOU watch the game?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hestika  :rolleyes: .....

before u open ur pie gap maybe u should look at ur beloved Greece, the league has turned into a bordello and the national team didnt make the world cup.

Oh and speaking of bandwagoners only 10,000 people turned up to watch Greece what happen to all the other people?

did YOU watch the game?

XXX-18T, you make a good point about the Greek NT and the state of the Greek league. It is in shambles!

We shouldn't be arguing amongst ourselves as we are Greeks in Australia and are still a minority no matter how influential or percieved influence we might have.

I will support Greece against Australia if the rumoured friendly between the two happens next year. I also fear that Australia might upset the European champions as the Greek NT has lost it's way in my opinion.

Original Melbourne 21, you make some good points about the majority of Australians jumping on the bandwagon. They will also be the first to jump off when things don't go well.

There is also that element in Australia who hate the idea of football being successful in case they knock of the boring dinosaur sports of cricket/rugby etc.

I actually like and appreciate AFL (after all the sport's CEO is Cypriot and the best player (?) -Koutoufides is Cypriot as well) but Kevin Sheedy's comments show that he fears the popularity of football (soccer). Excitement has nothing to do with scoring points every few seconds! He makes a ridiculous argument.

Original Melbourne 21, sorry for being ignorant but I don't recognise the player in your avatar.

Is it Manolas? (disgraced himself at 94 WC. SLow and over rated. Hopefully makes a better coach than player),

Kostis? (was a talent but injury ruined his career),

Dimitriadis? (inconsistent and forgotten)

Saravakos maybe? O bebis did tear Rangers apart, but I am sure you wouldn't use an ex-PAO player.

I am sorry I dont know who he is.

Anyway....let's not bother and look ahead to what ever interests us.

Anyway....let's not bother and look ahead to what ever interests us.

Agreed....but you two dissapoint me. You might want to tell your mate XXX to take off his PAO signature because the Greek league is such a brothel it may embarass him :rolleyes:

FYI its Xristws Kwsths in my avatar and I cant beleive u think Manolas is overated.

Posted Image

why should i take my sig off it mentions nothing about the Greek league.

The euro league is what counts.

If AEK win the championship this year or come second then I will retract all the bad comments I said about the Greek league.

If Osfp come third again i will retract all that i said as well.

Guest Protathlitis7

XXX, Om21 never said anything about the country itself. so half of your insults were uncalled for and hyppocritical by the looks of it

He just doesent support the national team. what do you expect when the one taking all the credit for this is the one who wants to take everything without compensation from clubs like South Melbourne who made the sport in this country. frank lowy the jew has done real well man. PRAISE HIM FOR HIS WORK

What do you expect when you have dickheads with victory scarves at the game who cant understand the away goals rule

All that being said I wanted Australia to win. but I can completley understand opinions like om21s and others. and even I had mixed feelings when i heard we won

as for saying 'your beloved Greece' thats just pathetic

dont tell me your going for aus over Greece when they come as well :whistle:

He just doesent support the national team. what do you expect when the one taking all the credit for this is the one who wants to take everything without compensation from clubs like South Melbourne who made the sport in this country. frank lowy the jew has done real well man. PRAISE HIM FOR HIS WORK

What do you expect when you have dickheads with victory scarves at the game who cant understand the away goals rule

All that being said I wanted Australia to win. but I can completley understand opinions like om21s and others. and even I had mixed feelings when i heard we won

as for saying 'your beloved Greece' thats just pathetic

dont tell me your going for aus over Greece when they come as well :whistle:

Well thats the point im trying to make yeah everyones is jumpin on THE SOCCEROOS BANDWAGON but thats the whole point of it Lowy has invested big $$$ into the game and he wants EVERYONE on this BANDWAGON.

Same as Greece when everyone jumped on the Ethniki bandwagon but unfortunately the Greek FA couldnt take advantage and the league is in the same $hit as it was before :tdown:

Hopefully everyone stays on the Australian football bandwagon and the Socceroos do well in Germany. Lowy has done well once A league teams can get into the Asian Champions League there will be even more $$$ into Australian Football. Once that happens hopefully we see the promotion of teams like South Melbourne and Sydney Olympic.

Im loving it how leaders from sports like Cricket, AFL, and League are $hitting bricks cos Football here is a SLEEPING GIANT and its woken up!

PS i will be cheering for Greece as they are Euro Champs and have a point to prove since we didnt make the world cup. I speak, pray, and dance Greek. And most importantly my name is Greek. I will be supporting australia in Germany just a shame i couldnt support Greece there as well :(

Guest Protathlitis7

about lowy..

Being the first sport in Australia to establish a national competition a decade prior to any other is no mean feat. Pity we have little to show for it.

In the inaugural 1977 competition, the glamour team of the National Soccer League was Sydney Hakoah (Eastern Suburbs, Sydney City). Hakoah was a Jewish club backed by none other than Frank Lowy, current Football Federation Australia chairman. Being the main man at Sydney Hakoah meant that many dollars were poured in and little came out, as with many a chairman after him in their respective clubs. Although the club experienced immense success on the field in early years, the crowds to sustain the player payments were marginal at best. Hakoah could only manage a meager crowd of 2,500 at their grand final at Wentworth Park in 1979.

Sydney Hakoah finished first or second from 1977 (the NSL inaugural year) to 1985.

Then the Croats arrived in 1984. Prior to that, Essendon Croatia as they were known, and South Sydney Croatia were excluded entry to the NSL due to openly ethnically charged names. Sydney Hakoah, along with Melbourne Hakoah stated that Melbourne or Sydney Croatia would never enter the league under their current identities. In 1984 the rules were amended and both Croatia’s were welcomed into the new league bar by a few clubs. Prior to that, playing in the state leagues, both clubs at times gathered crowds much greater than the NSL clubs, so it was in their business interests to accept them into the league.

Matches against Hakoah would draw huge crowds, almost rivaling the crowds seen against Footscray JUST or South Melbourne. A typical example was in the 1985 premiership season, Sydney Croatia vs. Sydney Hakoah, round 4. The average crowd for that round (excluding the Croatia crowd) was 2,000, whereas the Sydney Croatia match drew close to 9,000 supporters.

In 1986 Lowy left the game in disillusionment. His experiment with Sydney FC was left in tatters. He had been beaten by the ethnics. Lowy would come back in 20 years time to get pay back for how he was chewed up and spat out of the world that was 80’s Australian soccer.

Sydney Croatia, Melbourne Croatia and the other ethnics such as Preston Makedonia, Heidelberg Alexander and South Melbourne Hellas soldiered on, creating a league with a distinct ethnic flavor. Whether or not that was wise or not is a different question, but the fact remains, these years coincided with the biggest crowds and success of the NSL.

In the 2003 / 04 season, the Frank Lowy board was ushered in, in the absence of ethnic powerbrokers Harry Mrksa and South president Vasilopoulos (both were coincidentally on holiday), replacing long time pro-ethnic chairman Tony Labozetta. Lowy, now a successful business man with his multi-million dollar tycoon the Westfield group, set upon the blatant de-ethnicization of the beautiful game. The Crawford report recommended the total abolishment of the original clubs (by virtue of the criterion) and the establishment of a new league with no ties to the ‘old wog ball’ perceived dark ages of the 80’s. Lowy, by this time had made powerful friends at the upper echelons of Australian business and management. To help his new brainchild to gain credibility from the wider community, he employed friend and colleague John O’Neill (former rugby league chairman) to develop a business plan for success. O’Neill’s comments are even more blatantly anti-ethnic, bordering on bigotry, than Lowy’s.

8 teams compete in the new A-league. Each team contains ethnic players. Well that was unavoidable considering their immense contribution to Australian soccer.

The marketing campaign for the new league can be described as a spit in the face to the fan of a traditional club.

When asked by people why traditional fans hate the new league with a passion, their answer is simple. For one, Frank Lowy from the beginning has treated the original fans of the game, the people who nurtured it in the parks of suburbia for the last 50 years, with contempt at best. If we are not wanted we will not come is the overwhelming attitude.

The second argument is a simple one for people who haven’t followed the local game for the last few years. Would you start following St. Kilda if Collingwood or Hawthorn dropped down into the VFL? I think not.

The A league is destined for failure. The NSL’s last years were an experiment for the non-ethnically backed sides. The majority did not work out. Parramatta, Northern Spirit and Newcastle all experienced huge opening crowds of 15, 16, 17 thousand. These crowds fell off once the mainstream public realized the game wasn’t for them, they didn’t fit into the environment or their respective club was not successful on the field. There is no concrete evidence to show that the mainstream public (whatever that’s supposed to be) is interested in the world game. Everyone likes to be with people of their own kind, type etc. It’s human nature. Yes, we all preach national equality of minorities etc. but at the end of the day no one wants their suburb being invaded by Blacks from Sudan. That’s a socio-economic question rather than a soccer one, but it translates into the game simply. The clubs such as Croatia, Hellas, Makedonia and Alexander have changed their name to be more acceptable to the bigots of the world, but scratch the surface you will find thriving communities around these clubs. Most come from the same area / suburb, are of the same nationality and religion and thought. Whether these clubs were good a representative of Australian soccer is disputable, but the fact remains the game prospered most in these clubs’ heydays. It is unthinkable that all Italian Serie A clubs would be thrown out of the league with no explanation, and a new league with new clubs formed. Now go and coax those Lazio, Juventus and Milan fans to come and watch your new club. Ludicrous.

These new clubs are catering for the expat-Poms and Irish, which is nothing negative, but the league preached a new beginning, new atmosphere, new management etc. It’s a wolf in sheep’s clothes.

It is against you own club’s interests to support any A-league club. Their interests are profit, evidenced by the fact that their clubs aren’t member run, the president owns the club and all profits go into his bank account. The A-league has already poached the fans, sending out flyers to any previous member of your respective soccer federation.

If anything supporting the league is playing into the hands of Frank Lowy who finds himself in the same predicament of 20 or so years ago. Support your own club in your state league, pour your money into it, make it prosper. Once the federations realize that the original clubs are powerhouses of the game, it will once again fold as Lowy becomes bored of his new brainchild, a saving face exercise for the already alarming drop in crowds in the first weeks of the A-league.

very interesting read B)

where did u get it from?

I believe the A - League will prosper u know why cos of the $$$ :(

Now that they tapped into the Asian market with the Asian Champions league it will be very hard for these teams to go bust unless they spend more than they earn.

I hope for footballs sake that it doesnt fail cos for now its going good. If they decide to make more Sydney or Melbourne teams who are they going to choose

South Melbourne, Sydney Olympic or Marconi. They'd be very stupid not to.

Anyways im hopeful for now that in 2 - 3 years time we see the old teams back in the A league.

The A league is destined for failure. The NSL’s last years were an experiment for the non-ethnically backed sides.

I dont agree with this. You know why? Because there are mounia out there who will continue pumping big $$$ in to make sure it doesnt fail. They are so hell-bent on proving the traditional soccer followers wrong that they will cover up to give us nothing to bark about.

Trust me on this one. FFA wont let it fail.....even if it is. It will just be a cover-up.

Guest Protathlitis7

but lowy is a jew and he surely he and other businessmen cant keep on pumping in money when sponsers are backing off and the 10k are nowhere near being fufilled

afterall the a-league is a business axperiment and lowy is a hebrew isnt he..

Guest Protathlitis7

which presidents would do that....and why

who knows maybe with the world cup now soccer will be attractive enough to the public despite everything

• 1 month later...

its a croat article ;)

btw disregard the 'Preston makedonia' obviously they are gyftoi and not makedonia :P

Haha Yeah they have an identity crisis!

They are kathikia trying to rewrite history with their brainwashed Bulgaro-slavic agenda!

I remember they had so many suspended fines and bans in the old NSL. Why wouldn't they have kicked them out???

I don't know if the A-League will fail any time soon, but the article is interesting albeit with some minor factual errors (Lowy is Australias 3rd richest man and is a multi Billionaire, O'Neill is from a Rugby Union background and was trying to crush Rugby League and Sydney Croatia is based in Fairfield in Sydney's West).

I could detect the slight bias (Croatian) but I don't know if supporting one's original clubs will achieve anything more than have a strong state league club.

They should let the best of the state league teams win promotion to the A-League, then there won't be such a resentment by the original ethnic fans. Have all state league champions play each other for promotion. It will nearly always be a VIC or NSW club, but thats just life I guess.

If SM Hellas was reinstated, even if they weren't called Hellas and had some other nickname, I am not too sure if they would win many non Greek fans, but I would definitely support them against Sydney FC and Melbourne Victory.

I think the A-league is proving that it has a place in the AUstralian market. It's making the Rugbys a bit worried and I know that AFL fears football more than any other sport.

Football is also gaining a lot more acceptance by many people in my age group (25-30) and especially younger and in the next generation it will be Australia's number 1 sport. People laugh when I say that but it is already happening.

Look at the Australian NT. Names like Emerton, Kewell, Neill, Cahill, Grifftiths, Chipperfield are all Anglo. The 2nd and 3rd generation Greeks, Italians, Yugos aren't progressing to that level because the sport is being dominated by Anglo-Australians.

Anyway, Australia can't belong to some pseudo-Commonwealth group pretending that they are "world champions" in sports like rugby/cricket/lawn bowls when Mother Britain is Football mad.

Australians want to be on the world stage and have slowly realised that Football is the only vehicle they can seriously have in achieving this.

The A-league will survive and Football will be Australia's number 1 sport in 25/30 years time.

ur right re.

the A - league will never go bust cos of the $$$ injected now from Asia.

In about 2 years time the A - League will expand and I predict that the state league teams should play off to enter into the A - League.

Thing is if 1 State League club goes up does that mean last placed A league team goes down?

How will this work?

Dont the A - League teams have to invest certain $$$ to stay in the comp?

I reckon if the state league team finishes in the top 3 it should stay in the A- league. If it doesnt it has to be replaced by the following state league champion.

Archived