Phantis Forums

greatest match you've ever seen?

wayniac

Until now:

Ajax-Panathinaikos ('96)

0-1

I don't know why exactly...Maybe because it was the very first time that I felt soooooooo proud for my team and for this reason it's the only game that I still remember! :nw: :nw:

Oh,and I was only 10 years old!!

last year CL final definitly NOT.

Was a total disgrace to football........Milan played crap for 20 mins and with the pussy Gerrard diving in the box, they had to get a rebound penalty to tie....not to mention the offside on the Smicer goal 10 seconds beforehand (the flag was UP!- the referee dismissed it!!) then 2 passes later gerrar

the rest of the game was Milan's frustration after they pinned liverpool back.......there was no other factor but luck in Liverpools win.

Was a total disgrace to football........Milan played crap for 20 mins and with the pussy Gerrard diving in the box, they had to get a rebound penalty to tie....not to mention the offside on the Smicer goal 10 seconds beforehand (the flag was UP!- the referee dismissed it!!) then 2 passes later gerrar

the rest of the game was Milan's frustration after they pinned liverpool back.......there was no other factor but luck in Liverpools win.

if i had a gun i would have shot dudek in his head for looking like a fool in the penaltys :box: :box:

i truly remember that i was hoping for a milan fan to run on to the pitch and kill him :box:

if i had a gun i would have shot dudek in his head for looking like a fool in the penaltys :box: :box:

i truly remember that i was hoping for a milan fan to run on to the pitch and kill him :box:

i agree sketos m#$%!s

my favourite match ever was the EURO opener

The CL final when Man U came back and beat Munich was pretty awesome

i agree sketos m#$%!s

my favourite match ever was the EURO opener

The CL final when Man U came back and beat Munich was pretty awesome

the Munich v Manchester match was a boring match till the final 5 mins

the reason it became epic is Bayern had a chance to seal the game with a bicycle kick that hit the post and then Man u comes down and we all know wut happens

Milan v Liverpool game is great no doubt about it

i mean your down 3-0 coming out of the half

did u all also forget about schevenko choked

i mean in the second extra time shchenko at the 118th min had a chance twice to score and just blew it

and u all saw him taking that penalty kick v Dudek

didn't u guys see his face and knew that he was going to miss

actually i thought the Juve v Ajax final in 96 was great

went into penatly kicks

Juve scored in extra time and Ajax came back to tie it up

but my favorite games is the Greece in Euro 2004 v Portugal twice, Czech and France

and Olympiakos v Real Madrid

3-3 draw but it was a fun game to watch

yeah but those aerobic moves were hilarious!!

and yes it was a great game, one of my favorites

others on my list are opening game vs portugal, as soon as karagounis hit it home, i knew we were on our way

and the semi vs. the czechs was just epic

also 2002 wc qualifier vs. england (2-2) otto's 2nd game in charge after the 5-1 loss to finland, that game was really the start of something very special leading to last summer

Beating Olympiakos 3-2 in the Karaiskaki after being 2-1 down and looking down the barrel of going out in the Cup.

What an advancement!!! :box:

Once you click on the link, scroll down click on "free" and then wait until the countdown ends to get your "ticket" and re-live some glory days

Kapouranis 0-1

Donis 2-2

Warzycha 2-3!

Wantzich saves a 95th minute penalty!!!

Greek Cup Final 1993-94

We lead 2-0 but AEK came back to lead 3-2 only for Markos to score an equaliser 5 minutes from the end of extra time sending the game to penalites where we prevailed.

Warzycha 1-0!

Manolas own goal 2-0!

Markos equalises 3-3!

Wantzich saves Dimitriadis' shot in the penalty shoot-out !

Apostolakis makes it 4-2 in the shoot out and sends PAO fans to the sky!

Evergreen ise asteri!!!

i remember THE game with AEk... half the stadium was screamin KIPELOOOO and the other half, PROTATHLIMAAAA! but it was in 95 i guess... or 91?

too many parties for me... at the time... xe xe xe!

XTC man

• 3 weeks later...

Two games come to mind:

England - Greece 2-2 - a magnificent performance marred by very poor officiating that robbed us of a victory. :tdown:

Olympiakos - AEK 0-1 - a game ca. 1989 that won us the championship. We had to overcome poor officiating from Karamanis and unbelievable pressure from Olympiakos to win the title. A draw would have done it and yet we were victorious! I also remember that game for the greatest save I have ever seen: it was exactly as Gordon Banks' off the Pele header only it was performed by a defender - Stelios Manolas - who headed over the bar a rocket off the head of Lajos Detari from point blank range. :blink:

There are so many, man...

Argentina vs. Germany WC '86 (3-2)

Great comeback by Germany courtesy of Karl-Heinz Rummeniege, then destiny takes over.

Cameroon vs. England WC '90 (2-3)

I so wanted England to lose this one; Cameroon was an even bigger suprise then than Greece was last year.

Germany vs. Holland WC '90 (2-1)

Total end-to-end football; some great moments, when Littbarski and Klinsmann both smash the posts to bits, plus one of the best goals ever in a world cup (Brehme--check out the video clip on FIFA.com).

AEK vs. Real Madrid Champion's League 2003 (or was it '02?) 3-3

What a great game, even though we could have won it!

Argentina vs. Germany WC '86 (3-2)

Great comeback by Germany courtesy of Karl-Heinz Rummeniege, then destiny takes over.

!

The best game of that WC was Brazil - France 1-1 (France winning on penalties).

A brilliant display from the two top teams of the globe at that time and a dramatic equaliser from Platini. :tup:

AEK vs. Real Madrid Champion's League 2003 (or was it '02?) 3-3

i think it was in this game where i saw vintage Lakis, he broke madrid's offside trap and then lobbed the ball over iker casillas to score in an empty net. truly great goal.

i think that was also the year where AEK drew all of their 6 group stage matches

Yep, they followed up with another tie in Athens; only they were the comeback kids that time. I wish they could have progressed past that round just to put a bit more focus on Greek football.

If it doesn't seem that impressive today, that's only because Real Madrid's turned into a bit of a high-priced joke. Zidane, Raul, Figo, et al were still very much in shape two years ago.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

In terms of excitement for the neutral I'd go for:

Cyprus 3 - 2 Israel (2000 W/C qualifying)

Cyprus had to win to maintain their hopes of qualifying. I was lucky enough to be there and the atmosphere was amazing! Cyprus went 1-0 up, then Israel levelled. Cyprus went 2-1 up before Israel appeared to effectively knock Cyprus out. THEN a deserved winner at the death! AMAZING!

Arsenal 1- 2 Man Utd AET (FA Cup Semi '99 I think)

How many times did the pendulum swing in this? Utd took the lead, Arsenal equalised, then missed a pen in the last minute. Then Keane got sent off, then Giggs took on the whole team and scored! Exhausting!

Greece 0 - 1 Ukraine (2006 W/C qualifying)

Complete domination, 1 cross bar, 2 goals disallowed, then a goal against the run of play to end the dream!

Slovenia 3 - 3 Yugoslavia (Euro 2000)

Zahovic began a 1 man show as Slovenia went 3 up! Then Yugoslavia's star, Mijalovic, gets sent off, and the Yugoslavs are sparked into life! Amazingly they comeback 3 - 3, and should've won it!

Anorthosis 3 - 1 Trabzonspor (CL qualifying 2005)

Anorthosis vs Trabzon = Cyprus vs Turkey! The tension could be felt wherever you were watching this game. Anorthosis started off nervously and Trabzon caused problems down the right but Nicolaou smashed in the first for the Cypriots! From then on it was all Anorthosi. Then DISASTER! Corner to the Turks and out of nowhere they get their away goal! The whole of Cyprus was united though and the never-say-die attitude prevailed! After all the chances it looked as though Anorthosi had lost the war but 2 goals in the last 10 mins gave island victory. This preceded a 1-0 defeat in Turkey (3-2 win on Agg)! WE'D BEATEN OUR OPPRESSORS! AND FOR ONE NIGHT ONLY CYPRUS WAS FREE!

:gr: :gr: :gr:

'98 World Cup Semi-Final match between Holland and Brazil ended 1-1 with Brazil winning on penalties. Watched the match in a packed bar in Pamplona after running with the bulls that morning. Despite all the sangria, plenty of good memories, inlcuidng that high drama penalty shootout. Then took the train back to Paris to attend the France-Brazil final. Not a great game, but a pretty big upset. The march down the Champs E'Lysee was intense.

Archived