Phantis Forums

Important information on opening ports

zorbas

In order for us to enjoy the games everybody needs to make sure that port 29019 in your pc is open.

1.To open port 29019 do the following: Go to START-SETTINGS-CONTROL PANEL-NETWORK CONNECTIONS

and right click on your connection. Click on PROPERTIES, click on the ADVANCED tab. Under Windows Firewall click on SETTINGS. In the new window click on EXCEPTIONS.

Make sure all the "SoP Client" squares are checked. Now click on ADD PORT. Name the new option UPLOAD and under PORT NUMBER put 29019. Click OK untill you get out.

Ziaka can we create an important topic on opening ports. There are many on here that have no idea how to open ports and just jump on the stream causing everyone to suffer if we have an important topic it will make it easy for us to teach new people how to open ports and not have to continuosly keep explaining to people how to do so.

Is it possible that people have ports open but their upload speed

isn't strong enough to assist P2P ?

On order to understand this concept better can someone pls

explain to me what the desired upload speed from our PC

should be.

I've seen other SOP topics mention speeds in terms of

KB/sec and kbps which I think may be confusing to some people.

KB usually refers to Kilobytes per second whilst kbps is kilobits

per second.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't kilobytes more than kilobits

and if so then someone who thinks they have good upload speed

of say 200kbps is actaully a low speed in terms of kilobytes/sec

thus hampering the quality performance ?

I'm new to all this so I may be spinning crap for all I know !!!!

Not sure why port 29019 is mentioned all the time. This port is just being used to retrieve the channel list, it is not used for the stream itself. As the sopcast webpage mentions in the FAQ ports 3900 to 3920 are the ones used for streaming and these are the most important ports to keep open. So start by making sure 3900-3920 are open in your firewall and properly forwarded in your router and then worry about 29019.

Opening PORTS this is very important

go to my computer, click on my network places, then click on view network connections, then right click on your internet connection and go to properties and go to advanced then in the windows firewall box click the settings button go to exceptions, then to add port then name the port upload and click the TCP button and the port # 's are 3900-3920 and if you have the option for UDP add another port called upload1 click UDP button and port # is also 3900-3920 and thats it

Q1 My Media Player can not popup to play?

We suggest that you use Windows Media Player 9 and Real One Player or RealPlayer to play the stream. Please check the version of your player. Other players(vlc, mplayer) may be usable, but you should open it and play the stream manually. If the player can’t popup but you see that SopCast is buffering, you can open the player manually to play.

For a wmv(asf) stream, in Windows Media Player, you can specify the url: http://localhost:8900. For a rm(rmvb) stream, in RealPlayer, you can specify the url: http://localhost:8900/tv.rm

Q2 Media Player played but get the “Server busy” error message?

Clear the proxy settings in your Media Player and clear IE proxy settings. We can’t play the stream if you set a proxy.

Note: Sometimes, you must clear the IE proxy settings, if you don’t clear it, you may not play the stream even if you have cleared the proxy in Media Player. It must be a bug in Microsoft’s software.

Q3 RealPlayer has no sounds or the sound does not synchronize with the video?

Smoothly move the Real player process bar to and fro.

Q4 Why I can not watch the channel with the good quality as I think?

We use the P2P technology to transfer the media content. That means when you get media content from other nodes, you also act as a service node to others. If your firewall prohibit you from connecting to other nodes, you can not get the data from other nodes and other nodes can not get the date from you. So please open the required port in your firewall. SopCast use TCP port: 3900-3920. Open these ports for SopCast.exe in your firewall.

Q5 Why the percent of my buffering shows high, I still can not watch the channel with the high quality?

Every channel’s quality was decided by two parameters. One is the source quality (QualityS) and another is the network quality (QualityC). QualityS stands for the quality of the channel source. The low QualityS value means our server has the poor quality to receive the channel content and it will result in the poor quality for all of the audits. QualityC stands for the average quality for the watcher receiving the channel contents. The high QualityC value means the p2p network is great and every watcher can receive most of the channel content in its buffer.

You buffering value stands for your quality of the network(Quality C). The calculation of the Sopcast is designed for watching fluently even in a poor buffering which is prior to the current P2P system. If the source is pretty good, 20% buffering means you can watch and 50% buffering means you can watch fluently.

Q6 If I install the firewall, how can I configure it to make SopCast work?

We transfer the channel contents using the P2P technology. You receive the channel contents from others and you must upload your receiving channel content to others. If you install the firewall, the firewall can prohibit you from connecting to others and others can not connect to you.. So you must configure the firewall to open the necessary port. SopCast will use the port through 3900 to 3920, so you must open those ports for the SopCast.exe bidirectionally, in and out.

If your personal firewall has the automatic configuration function, for example Symantec Internet security, Microsoft internal firewall with the XP sp2, select allow or permit if you see the information to ask you whether permit SopCast.exe to access the Internet or not.

Q7 Can I use SopCast to setup a personal channel?

Of course, you can! This is one of our main features. Through the P2P technology, you can easily support maximum 10 thousands persons to watch your channel at the same time using a single computer. But for good quality, you have to meet some requirements. See Q9. We want to make the SopCast the best TV Station for everyone.

Q8 How to build a personal channel?

Select the files or another Media Server address under the My Server label and write the necessary information. Please read the basic operation in the user manual for details. We provide a open broker for free use.

Change the broker address to http://sop.sopcast.org/sop/broker_noauth under the Config label URL Add area.

Note: You can not add your personal channels in our default broker. The default broker is only for the stable channels for most of the audiences. If you can serve a stable channel and want to share with all the audiences, please contact us [email protected] and we will add it.

Note: To host a channel, you must:

1. You must have an public IP (Not private IPs, 192.168.0.0/24 or 10.0.0.0/8 etc). And your machine can't be put behind a NAT.

2. You must open your 3910 tcp port in you personal firewall(For example, when use XP sp1, and you turned on firewall, you must open the port manually).

Q9 How to build a STABLE channel?

To make a channel stable, you must meet two requirements:

One is the stable source for the channel. SopCast support two kinds of source, files or Media Server. You can build a local source by playing stream media files(asf, wmv, rm, rmvb). You can also retransmit a channel from Microsoft Media Server or Real Network Real Server. You must have a stable source

The second is the stable and broadband internet connections. To build a good quality channel, you’d better place your server in an IDC (Internet Data Center) for the guarantee bandwidth. Though the SopCast use the P2P technology to broadcast the channels, higher bandwidth is still needed. For a stream of 300Kbps, we limited the maximum bandwidth of the source to 2Mbps and the actual band it use varies from 1M to 2M. It can serve 10 thousands audiences in such a configuration. So if you have the connection 256Kbps or 512Kbps, we suggest you to make a 80-128Kbps channel.

Q10 I am very interested in SopCast, how can I contribute to you?

P2P means everyone can contribute for the network. The more persons watching a channel, the more fluent channel you can get. That means you can watch the channel fluently, without stopping, waiting or mosaic. So watching your favorite channels is the best contribution.

If you can provide the good quality channels, it is also very acceptable. Please write to us and we are very happy to publish your channels. For how to build a stable channels, read Q9

Who on this forum has a good strong, fast upload. I know people have posted in the past these numbers.

If any more games are going to be streamed, people need to follow all the instructions laid out in SEVERAL topics. Whoever this person is streaming these games does not NEED to do this. He can very well watch it in the comfort in his home with no problems. WE should be thankful there are people out there willing to do this

Gia na anoi3oume oles tis portes apo 3900 ews 3920

prepei mia-mia na tis dhlwsoume sta exceptions

tou firewall;

`H mporoume na dwsoume range me kapoion tropo;

Otan prospa8w na dwsw 3900-3920 (me paula)

den mou to dexetai. Uparxei grhgoros tropos

gia oles tis portes;

Kai an tis dwsoume mia-mia, exei shmasia to onoma;

Dhl. UPLOAD, UPLOAD1, UPLOAD2, ...

`h den exei shmasia to onoma;

paidia na sas po ego den xreisimopoio to windows firewall(diladi to exo kanei shut-off completely)..... i use norton firewall.... dont i just nedd to change the status for that to: PERMIT ALL for the sopcast program.... id appreciate ii if someone could hit me bk about this.... Cheers guys....

alex

paidia....i open up the ports through my firewall and fully aloow the program to access the internet.... but the first 2 Tzampa TV stations dont work.... yet...

when the 3rd Tzampa TV station pops up that one works....

i opened ports...

maybe it is because im using a router?

voithise me se parakalo :(

Archived