Phantis Forums

cl 2005-2006

slick13

this is the strongest group since that of Juve-Deportivo-HSV few seasons ago (we were second & advanced to next stage that time!)

It looks like it will be tight - everyone will win some points - maybe 8 or 9 points will be enough for 2nd place - for this we should beat Werder & Udinese at home, get a point in Germany or/and Italy and hope for something from Barcelona game in Athens.

To advance Panathinaikos will have to give their best constantly (a possible win over Barcelona will mean s**t if we blow it against the other two) & of course, above all, we'll need also some luck.

In this kind of a group 3rd place & Uefa Cup doesn't seem so bad either.

barca

pao

werder bremen

udinese

This definately won't be easy. Barca will be very tough. Of the 3 'A' Pot teams I wanted to avoid, we had to get one of them (Barca, AC Milan, and Bayern Munich).

I'd forget about (winning) the Nou Camp game (a draw would be great), but if we get our act together (and OAKA packed), we can certainly beat them in Athens (which we've done before).

Bremen is also going to be a challenge, though they did have trouble getting by Basel in the qualifing round. Again, 3 points at home and a draw away would be great for us.

Udinese surprised a lot of people in Europe and Italy last year, and still have most of the squad that got them to this point. HOwever, they are still the 'new kids on the block' as far as the CL is concerned, and even in the UEFA Cup last year, Panionios beat them 3-1 in Italy I think. Should win at home, a legit chance for a win away.

I figure if we can get 10 or 11 points we'll advance. If we win all our games in Athens and can get a couple of draws away we'll be fine. FORZA PAO!!! :tup: :nw: :box: :gr:

Oh yeah, OSFP's easier (IMO) group:

Real Madrid (Spain)

Lyon (France)

OSFP (Greece) :tup: :gr: (gotta root for any/all Greek teams in Europe)

Rosenborg (Norway)

Your thoughts...???

It's what happens in Germany and Italy that will make or break everything. I think you can pull out wins against them in Athens and grab soemthing decent against Barca at home too. But Bremen and Udinese on home soil are rather potent, and forget about the Camp Nou.

Good luck.

well we knew we where getting someone first class

we always play good versus german teams and last we have very good statistics against italian opposition(especialy juve).

we should play for our own chance and see where we will finish

PAO just needs to play their game and take every game 1 at a time.

They have a good coach and their midfiled is great.

It's a tougfh road for both of our Greek teams, but in reality Champions League is not a cake-walk either.

Good Luck...

Shoot for 2nd place! :gr:

We will have a real though time this season in the Chapions League.

If we get 1 point from Barcha I will be glad.

From Udinese I hope for a draw away, but it is gaing to be real hard.

Werder is clearly the worst of our opponenets, and I am talking about last year's Budeslinga Chapions...

It is clear that the real battle is between Pao, Werder and Udinese.

Let us hope Barcha will kick ass away in both Italy and Germany.

We need:

Well well. We got three teams from the three of the top leagues in Europe, Italy, Spain and Germany!!!

BUT, this is PAO we are talking about. Some of our proudest moments have been when we beat big teams, like Ajax, Juventus, Porto, and Barca in 2002 at Leoforos. Another 1-0 victory against them would mean 3 points, even if we accept that losing at Nou Camp is inevitable.

As for Oly, this time they really got the easier group. Lyon are a shadow of last year and Rosenborg, well they are beatable. No more excuses for them. They MUST get their first ever away victory in Europe this time. If not then I would be delighted

paos group seems to be one of the toughest this year. together with the liverpool-chelsea group.

udinese surely is one of the strongest teams out of pot 4 and werder out of pot 3. and about barca, i dont think there has to be said much.

anyway. with some good performances like we are used from pao your team should be able to get through. good luck.

Good luck

What the hell?!? I'm impressed!!!

It's the first time I see so many gay-rous (for the non-Greek: Olympiakos supporters) wishing good luck to Panathinaikos. That demonstrates that Greeks abroad are maybe more open-minded than Greeks living in Greece all their lives.

In turn I would like to wish good luck to Olympilagos, because with the bad games they're giving in Europe, they will need lots of luck to get second place from Lyon. At least they're lucky enough to get 3rd place that lead to UEFA, unless they screw up with Rosen!

This group was almost team for team my worst case scenario for Thrylos. Pao got shafted with a very tough draw.

I want them to do well (for the sake of the Greek club co-efficient in Europe).

Playing Barcelona in the Camp Nou will show who exactly are the true world class players for the Vazeloi. Let's see who stands up. Life is about conquering the odds and over coming adversity.

If they believe (in themselves and their team mates) then why should they not progress?

kali epitixeia.

We must get max. points vs Bremen & Udinese at home.

If we're lucky and face a Barca in Athens on a bad day for them

then possibly grab a pt or better there - so we must aim for at least 7pts

from our home games.

As for the away games IF we can salvage a draw or 2 then we may

have enough to finish 2nd but for me a UEFA Cup spot from this group

will also be a good achievement.

MAKE US PROUD PANATHA MOU JUST LIKE TUESDAY NIGHT !!!!!

Look, there are NO easy games/teams.... It seems that we do better under difficult circumstances if the past shows anything for us....

Barca is not a super team, but a respectable one. However, if PAO doesn't improve, we won't finish in the top 2. Wisla should serve as a wake up call to us.

The bad thing about the whole thing is our internal problems. Our defense is bad--Vyntra sucks, Kotsios a bit too slow, Goumas is aging and getting slower too.

We spent tons of money on Flavio and Biscan--two of the biggest disappointments so far. The team needs to gell fast. I hope Mele doesn't hesitate to try our younger players...

Anyway, I think PAO has a chance, and if it wins on the first match in Italy everything is possible.

All i want to say is it is 11 v 11 and their all human the team with the greater desire and mental preparation will win!

PAO or olympiakos can defeat any team for that matter.

I am a greek from Australia and have been brought up to fear no one but when greeks teams play away in the champions league they play like scared little bitches and always fail!!

Show balls look the opponents in the eye and believ you are better than them!!!!

No one is born superior!!

All i want to say is it is 11 v 11 and their all human the team with the greater desire and mental preparation will win!

PAO or olympiakos can defeat any team for that matter.

I am a greek from Australia and have been brought up to fear no one but when greeks teams play away in the champions league they play like scared little bitches and always fail!!

Show balls look the opponents in the eye and believ you are better than them!!!!

No one is born superior!!

I am with Spears on this. Why is is that Australian-Greeks have this never say die attitude? We fear no one. If only more Greeks were like us.

If you aren't good enough then retire and sit at home drinking coffee and reading the paper and playing with your komboloii or your a*****a for that matter.

Like Muhhamad Ali once said when no one tipped him to regain the heavy weight belt against a younger, fitter and stronger George Foreman...

"Everyone is scared. Scared of what?...Scared of what?"

charalambidis has copped a lot of criticism in the past since joing PAO, but I really like his quote after the draw was made. I copied this off uefa.com:

We wanted to play a great team like Barcelona. The motivation is enormous. We know what we are up against. The first match, away at Udinese, will be of vital importance. A positive result will set the tone and help us in the next matches. In general, it's good for us that the draw was so difficult.

Panathinaikos midfielder Constantinos Charalambides

The question to ask yourselves is, if you were a top professional footballer after finding out the draw, do you play like you're an owned bitch cowering against Barca, or do you turn it up and go out with a blaze of glory???

The answer is easy bitches..... :box:

Guest Protathlitis

very tough group. tougher than our I admit. Udinese was the best 4 pot team and I think they will take their 6 points of you

I dont think you have a chance, but make sure you stay tuned to my predictions :P

Archived