Phantis Forums

Giorgos Samaras ‒ (retired)

slick13

the football schooling in holland just goes to show what greece could produce domestically, if academies and youth football were taken as seriously as they are in other nations.

Amanatidis is another example who went through the Stuttgart youth ranks.

i was able to catch the game today vs. Newcastle just as he came on in the 65th min.

he needs to work on his first touch or maybe he was too nervous or something

hopefully Manchester city gets there money worht with Samaras unlike Dinamo

I haven't seen Seitaridis play for Dinamo, but I haven't heard anything good. Hopefully things will work out with Samaras. He's playing on a good team, they trounced newcastle today. The english game is very physical and very fast paced, just look at Vessels goal, the ball was in city's end and 2 seconds later it's in newcastle's net.

Man City signs Greek striker

Promising Giorgos Samaras moves to Premiership from Heerenveen in 8.8-mln-euro deal

PAUL ELLIS/AFP

Manchester City’s new signing, 20-year-old Giorgos Samaras (l), at yesterday’s news conference with manager Stuart Pearce.

Manchester City has signed the highly rated young Greek striker Giorgos Samaras for 8.8 million euros and four-and-a-half years from Dutch side Heerenveen, the English Premiership club said yesterday.

City, currently 10th in the 20-team Premiership, needed to double its previous offer before striking a deal with the Dutch first-division club for the 20-year-old Greek player.

An agreement was reached last Saturday, and Samaras passed his medical on Monday.

Despite the club’s eagerness to sign the Greece under-21 striker, Manchester City manager Stuart Pearce warned that Samaras would not walk straight into the first team. He has been included in the squad for today’s home match against Newcastle United.

“He’ll be in and fighting for a place. He’s got to join the squad running and force me to pick him,” said Pearce, who offloaded striker Robbie Fowler back to hometown club Liverpool last week.

Nonetheless, Pearce told Manchester City’s website yesterday that he had high hopes for Samaras.

“It’s the overall package that you get with him,” Pearce said. “He’s 20 years old, we feel that we have someone at the right end of their career, someone who will mature and get better and better. He’s a good footballer, he has a solid background and I think I played against his father in the Greek national side,” Pearce noted. “Talking with him, he’s a very level-headed lad, he knows what he wants out of football and he’s very career-minded, which is a good thing. I think this football club for him at this stage of his career is a great move, for him as well as it is for us.”

Giorgos Samaras’s father, Australia-born Yiannis Samaras, also a striker, had played with Panathinaikos and OFI during the late 1980s and 1990s.

Earlier this month, Arsenal was reportedly thinking about signing Samaras. But Heerenveen had apparently rejected the major London club’s reported 5.6-million-euro offer as insufficient.

At the time, Heerenveen’s team manager had told BBC Sport that Arsenal was not the only club interested in signing Samaras. (Kathimerini, Reuters, AFP)

Did Samaras dad play in Australia?

Any relation to Protathlitis7 ;) ?

for a club like Man City to spend 6 mill. on 1 player is a huge investment so he better deliver the goods or else alot of fans will be pissed off.

based on the 25 mins i saw, he didn't have a good first touch but he might prove me wrong this weekend but he did show good pace which is remamkable for a 6 foot 2 inch player

I saw the game he played pretty bad but being his first real game its ok.

He kept losing the ball and the commentators commented that his yet to get used to the EPL as its much more fast paced than the dutch league.

That header could of made him a hero he had time and the height to score that.

I have a feeling he'll score plenty of header cos of his height.

Giorgos Samaras’s father, Australia-born Yiannis Samaras, also a striker, had played with Panathinaikos and OFI during the late 1980s and 1990s.

He played a handful of game for Hellas Melbourne as a guest player in 92 if my memory serves me well.

He played a handful of game for Hellas Melbourne as a guest player in 92 if my memory serves me well.
ah re Stan you football encyclopedia, you B)

Any relation to Protathlitis7 ;) ?

I am not sure if Protathlitis7 is also from Kriti, but I did mention this about 2 weeks ago that Samaras' father John, either grew up in Australia (Melbourne) or was born here.

I do know he did play a few guest matches in the late 80s early 90s with South Melbourne Hellas as Evergreen suggested.

I do know he speaks English however as he is Giorgos' manager and he has spoken to the English media and to Pearce. His English might like Christian Vieri's.

Anyway M/\L/\KES, I am leaving for Ellada this Thursday from Mascot on Emirates arlines. Pyrgos ths Ilias here I come. :gr:

If I happen to bump into Karag00nis on the streets kicking his balla made from old socks, I will let him know that all the regulars on phantis forums are dissapointed with his post Euro performances.

adio

Tricky first game for Samaras away to Everton.

His first half was disappointing like the rest of his squad.

During the second half, he was one of the top lads. He made himself available and had a lot of chances.

:gr:

He played a GOOD game,apart from his legs turning to jello on the tete a tete( if he had scored the stadium would have come down). He could have scored a 2nd header if not for one of his teammates crossing in front of him right befor he hit it.

He showed the ability to swing crosses from both the right and left sides. Made some nice passes as well.

Once that young frame fills out Greece will have an ACE striker.

Now with both City strikers out with injury, he will get a ton of playing time.

I believe he will be in the 11kada for OTTO along with Stelios as pseudo midfield/striker.

Now I hope that Otto takes notice of him as well as Tavlaridis who is playing well in France.

Thanks for the video my friend. Here the fans in Crete are very happy with Samaras and we hope for him to make the same or bigger carrer from Nikos Machlas. I think that he can manage that because he works a lot and and he played in a properly champioship. :)

• Argy changed the title to Giorgos Samaras ‒ (retired)
  • Argy locked this topic