Phantis Forums

Giorgos Samaras ‒ (retired)

slick13

There was talk of Samaras going to A-League club Melbourne City at one stage in the Australian football media. Melbourne City are owned by the owners of Manchester City & New York City. Samaras is a dual citizen, whom holds a Greek & Australian passport. His grandfather helped start South Melbourne football club & his father was born in Melbourne, Australia.

In saying all that I really doubt he will come to Australia unless there is nothing better. I know he doesn't want to play in the Greek Super League at the moment. I see him at mid table French team, back in the Netherlands, Scotland or Russia.

^

In his People Greece interview last week he indicated that he was in contact with clubs that are discussing multi-year offers. Who knows? Getting a mutual release may be a necessary first step to moving on....or it could mean he's washed up!

• 2 weeks later...

Sampdoria would be a good fit. I'm wondering however if this is a recycling of the 2014 rumor that has

Samaras heading there. So far I've only seen one source that seems to be cited for this.

Lots of talk now... Twitter nonsense about Coventry (3rd tier) right now. There were a couple of good discussions about where Samaras fits into the plans of the top 4 Greek clubs on Sport24.gr. The bottom line being that Sami is now open to going to Greece and while there is some moderate interest in him, all the top clubs have other priorities ahead of him.

For a guy who has been dropped by four teams in the space of 13 months (Celtic, WBA, Al Hilal and the Ethniki) Sampdoria would be a very fortunate result.

^^^

Fair enough. Still the point is 'dropped' or not, it's not a good record. And I'm a fan (as uncool as that is around here!) who still thinks he has a lot to offer at the club and NT level, IF he finds the right club and does it soon. Another lost preseason does him no favours. He needs to catch on somewhere where he can contribute. Based on the list of teams he is no longer with its hard to see what the right place would be.

the rumour samaras and sampdoria is getting more reality. in this article there are even some details about the contract. but still rumours offcourse. i hope this move will happen.

denis from atalanta is their top target but if samaras wont be a starter he will probably start in the europa league.

https://translate.google.nl/translate?hl=nl&sl=it&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sampnews24.com%2Fblitz-della-sampdoria-pronto-un-biennale-per-samaras-25597.html

Samdoria (if it happens) would be great. Last year was a write-off due to lack of fitness (rumor of pneumonia while at WBA) and injuries. If he does play in a two striker formation he may do well. As we all know he looks like a target man but he is not. He is a decent passer and his assist numbers are not bad. When healthy he played a bit deeper at AL Hilal than you would expect for an out and out striker and did well linking play and creating chances. A technical league like Serie A could work - at least in Italy how much one runs around won't be the main criteria of how committed the player is!

• Like it 1

would have to be close to the craziest result in European football for decades....

These mid Serb/ Croat teams are normally garbage....

I would expect them to get hammered by Xanthi. Platanias over two legs?

Vojvodina.....now there's a blast from the past.

Don't know if you remember sheriff but they came to Melbourne in the 80s and played in a tournament with the socceroos and  the Hungarian NT if I recall correctly. Good team, but blitzed by Hungary 5 or 6-0 (Hungary was a decent side then)

I remember they came out...don't recall who they played...I don't recall Hungary coming?

Yes Hungary came as well, I remember going to the game between them and Vojvodina. 

At the time, because we only saw the very ordinary local level of football, I remember thinking how good these teams were. The Hungarians in particular were incredible.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1300&dat=19820122&id=HyRVAAAAIBAJ&sjid=VpQDAAAAIBAJ&pg=3656,2751556&hl=en

Sorry, off topic I know.

Oh man...after Samdoria's horrible display yesterday if I were Samaras' agent I might be calling Ivan Savvidis to see just how interested PAOK really was :-)

Seriously though, despite the probable lack of Europa Laegue play, Samp is still a good move.

• Argy changed the title to Giorgos Samaras ‒ (retired)
  • Argy locked this topic